The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Vancouver Vegas

To Vegas: Rathbone and Aidan McDonough

To Vancouver: Nic Roy and Nic Hague

Why?

Roy is a good fit for us at 3C, good size right hand shot that Vegas probably can't afford anymore due to their cap hell. 

Aidan McD is a promising prospect of the type that they will need in 2-3 years if/when he's ready to play in the NHL.

Rathbone is great, but we're set on the left side for puck moving and need more size. Hague is a downgrade offensively, but we need big bodies on d.

Vegas is offer sheet vulnerable and we'd be offering solid value back. Vegas is also helped out on their cap with Rathbone being a 10.2.c RFA, with zero negotiating rights. 

Edited by JM_
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, BPA said:

Sure.  Why not.  We get NHL players and they get prospects.

Don’t think Vegas will go for it.

Vegas is in a tough spot tho, Roy is a nice offer sheet target that only costs a 2nd that Vegas can't match. 

I’m liking the idea of moving Bone (who has no spot in our lineup) and McDonnough (who is likely to go the free agent route summer 2023)

Rather we sent them to Boston though, for Carlo.  Boston appears to be headed into a rebuild.  Might be perfect timing for us to get Hughes a partner.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, BPA said:

Sure.  Why not.  We get NHL players and they get prospects.

Don’t think Vegas will go for it.

Vegas want to move Dadonov 33, 5'11--last season GP 79- G 20 - PTS 43 ----  1 yr remaining @ 5 million---

Vegas want Ferland 3.5  LTI-- Vegas retain 800,000 of Dadonov contract and add Dylan Coghlan RD, 6'2, 24, RFA- to make the deal ??

22 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Vegas want to move Dadonov 33, 5'11--last season GP 79- G 20 - PTS 43 ----  1 yr remaining @ 5 million---

Vegas want Ferland 3.5  LTI-- Vegas retain 800,000 of Dadonov contract and add Dylan Coghlan RD, 6'2, 24, RFA- to make the deal ??

Not bad, but does he have the upside?  (He scored 13 points in 59 games and played 14 minutes a night)  
I'd rather poach a 3rd C in Roy (RFA) OR ask for Whitecloud (25 years old, signed for $2.75 million for several more years)

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m liking the idea of moving Bone (who has no spot in our lineup) and McDonnough (who is likely to go the free agent route summer 2023)

Rather we sent them to Boston though, for Carlo.  Boston appears to be headed into a rebuild.  Might be perfect timing for us to get Hughes a partner.  

if Boston would do that, you have to say yes. I wasn't aiming that high but that would be a great deal for us. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

You don't get Carlo for that

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Shanghaii Owey Ice said:

Garland for Roy and Dadaddnov

Dadanov is a cap dump we only need to take 1 year of.

We have Petey, Bo and Roy for the foreseeable future. Skill, 2 way dependability, size 

To Vegas:

Garland

2022 4th round pick

To Vancouver

Roy

Dadanov

2022 2nd round pick

That generally works for me.

What about going after someone in the Vegas farm system like: Daniil Miromanov

Offer sheet him for 1.5 million on a one way, 1 year deal. Would cost us a 3rd round pick to see if he's able to round out his game under BB etc.

He's a big RD who had a pretty solid year in the Vegas farm system.

Vegas will likely be trying to resign him around 850k, they can't afford anything on the cap, so they may just let him walk.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Not bad, but does he have the upside?  (He scored 13 points in 59 games and played 14 minutes a night)  
I'd rather poach a 3rd C in Roy (RFA) OR ask for Whitecloud (25 years old, signed for $2.75 million for several more years)

I can't see Vegas moving Whitecloud 25, they need his 2.7 million contract and only 25...Good value contract for 7 yrs so Vegas won't move..

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

They definitely don't want Ferland.  It carves into a team's cap space to operate in LTIR and will make it even more challenging for them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Or Garland & Dermott, for

Roy, Hague-monster & Daddy-O?

5 hours ago, Shanghaii Owey Ice said:

Garland for Roy and Dadaddnov

Dadanov is a cap dump we only need to take 1 year of.

We have Petey, Bo and Roy for the foreseeable future. Skill, 2 way dependability, size 

They are looking to clear cap space. Garland and Dadonov both make 5M so there's no cap being cleared.  They need his 5M entirely off their books or will be forced to trade someone they prefer to keep over him.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

To Vegas: Rathbone and Aidan McDonough

To Vancouver: Nic Roy and Nic Hague

Why?

Roy is a good fit for us at 3C, good size right hand shot that Vegas probably can't afford anymore due to their cap hell. 

Aidan McD is a promising prospect of the type that they will need in 2-3 years if/when he's ready to play in the NHL.

Rathbone is great, but we're set on the left side for puck moving and need more size. Hague is a downgrade offensively, but we need big bodies on d.

Vegas is offer sheet vulnerable and we'd be offering solid value back. Vegas is also helped out on their cap with Rathbone being a 10.2.c RFA, with zero negotiating rights. 

Out of curiosity. What contract numbers are we talking? Maybe Vegas would prefer the offer sheets. There may be a bidding war. I would imagine multiple teams are considering offer sheets not just us. 

Like where you're going though.

Edited by hammertime
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Out of curiosity. What contract numbers are we talking? Maybe Vegas would prefer the offer sheets. There may be a bidding war. I would imagine multiple teams are considering offer sheets not just us. 

As much as it's possible that there could be a race to sign them to the offer sheet, isn't it still only one team that gets to sign the player?  Also (knowing Vegas' current lack of cap space) if no one helps them e.g. by taking Dadonov earlier, they're at the mercy of another team e.g. one that would likely just sign each of them to say a $4 million contract (which only amounts to a 2nd for each offer sheet).  Even if teams do race, I wonder if they'll be as open to splurging when compared to UFA signings, since it still affects which draft pick(s) are sent as compensation, as well as the team's cap structure.  So I don't think that competition would be as fierce, aside from which team tenders the OS.  

32 minutes ago, hammertime said:

They are further along in their development than a 2nd round pick in 2023.  He gets to decide where he wants to sign that offer-sheet - Vegas can only match.

A 5 year contract or shorter between 2.1M and 4.2M is only worth a 2nd round pick.  

To move up to a 1st + 3rd round compensation, the overall contract has to be worth more than 21M on a 6 or 7 year deal: 6 x 3.5M or 7 x 3M

• Cheers 1