The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Major Changes Coming, Country Club Atmosphere ~ Shannon and Kypreos

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Tough in giving ?

.. or Tough in taking ?

it’s a massive difference when trying to set an example for a team as a Captain, and take the lead with them.

They took a lot of punishment,  but they never dished it.

If a Team is “emblematic” of its Captaincy ,  give me a Stan Smyl type character every time.

trying to play “resiliently”strong gets you hurting in every stat and corner on the Ice.

A tough “wolf pack” tough mentality puts you in the playoffs most years.

Boston is a prime example of that.

If your not pushing back , your only holding your ground.

I will disagree of course.  But that's what opinions are for.

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’m a big Horvat fan. 
I am not a fan of him as captain.  
Way too passive.   
Yes, he scores big goals.   
He also plays like a kitten, which is ridiculous for a kid his size.  
He is like 30 goal Steve Bernier, and they made him captain. 
That sucks. 

I wouldn’t be heart broken if Bo was traded (as long as we get a good return). I think Miller could lead this team for many years to come as a Captain and I think Miller has not peaked. Giving Miller the captaincy would bring his play and leadership to an even higher level.

• Cheers 3

Daniel Wagner has the main quotes for Vancouver is Awesome:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/nhl-insiders-report-rutherford-thinks-canucks-room-is-a-country-club-5467588

“It’s broken,” said Kypreos. “He knows it’s broken…He doesn’t like the room, guys. Thinks it’s a country club in there. He’s going to change it up.”

Kypreos said Rutherford is “going to make a splash” and Shannon agreed.

“You talked about the word rebuild there — nothing would surprise me with Jim Rutherford in Vancouver,” said Shannon. “The two key dates are what he can do on the draft floor on [July] 7th with a couple of his star players and then what he wants to do in free agency [on July 13].”

“He’s going to change it up,” said Kypreos. “What does that mean to Miller? What does that mean to Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser, he’s not going to pay? There’s going to be a different look within six months of this team.”

---

Wagner points out to Rutherford's own quotes on an earlier McCown podcast:

“We're certainly not starting from scratch. There's a lot of good players there,” said Rutherford, also on the Bob McCown podcast. “If you look at the teams that did a total rebuild, it's nice to see those teams doing well now but everybody forgets about the four or five years they had to go through of tough years to get there…I would like to think, with the players we have, that this team can be retooled.”

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I have a feeling from what JR said earlier that you might not expect the last 3 yrs to be productive of a contract

I think if they can get JT to sign for 6,5 avg over 6 years  he would do it (depends if JT takes his offer)

I think we will have lots of talk within months speculating on the direction the club  with moves made

Hopefully we get good value for who moves (They won't be giving them to the lowest bidder)  just because we didn't get Makar for Poolman  and Dickenson :)

lol 6.5x6 that would be an insult to JT to even offer that

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mll said:

Daniel Wagner has the main quotes for Vancouver is Awesome:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/nhl-insiders-report-rutherford-thinks-canucks-room-is-a-country-club-5467588

“It’s broken,” said Kypreos. “He knows it’s broken…He doesn’t like the room, guys. Thinks it’s a country club in there. He’s going to change it up.”

Kypreos said Rutherford is “going to make a splash” and Shannon agreed.

“You talked about the word rebuild there — nothing would surprise me with Jim Rutherford in Vancouver,” said Shannon. “The two key dates are what he can don on the draft floor on [July] 7th with a couple of his star players and then what he wants to do in free agency [on July 13].”

“He’s going to change it up,” said Kypreos. “What does that mean to Miller? What does that mean to Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser, he’s not going to pay? There’s going to be a different look within six months of this team.”

---

Wagner points out to Rutherford's own quotes on an earlier McCown podcast:

“We're certainly not starting from scratch. There's a lot of good players there,” said Rutherford, also on the Bob McCown podcast. “If you look at the teams that did a total rebuild, it's nice to see those teams doing well now but everybody forgets about the four or five years they had to go through of tough years to get there…I would like to think, with the players we have, that this team can be retooled.”

Retooling is definitely better than rebuilding.
Given what is being said about the room, I would venture to guess that Miller is a lock to stay. It is not just us that see his fire. Quinn Hughes said that he hasn’t played with anyone who has Miller’s intensity. We need more players like him to drive the team and not be perimeter players. 

• Cheers 3

For the current Canucks to have a chance at moving from Pretenders to Contenders, the following, IMHO, has to happen:

• Bo Horvat has to become Ryan O'Reilly or Patrice Bergeron
  • Brock Boeser has to become Mikko Rantanen
  • Connor Garland has to become Brad Marchand
  • Elias Pettersson has to become Pavel Datsyuk
  • JT Miller has to keep being the JT Miller of the three seasons he's been with the Canucks
  • Vasily Podkolzin has to keep progressing on the path he's on
  • Nils Hoglander has to become Victor Arvedsson
  • Will Lockwood has to become the second coming of Tyler Motte
  • Matthew Highmore has to become the third coming of Tyler Motte
  • Juho Lammikko has to become Edmonton Oilers version of Esa Tikanen
  • Tanner Pearson has to become Tanner Pearson of the 70s line
  • Jason Dickinson needs to get the phuck out of Vancouver
  • Quinn Hughes has to become Quinn Hughes
  • OEL has to become OEL of the PHOENIX Coyotes days
  • Tyler Myers has to become a poor man's version of Chris Pronger
  • Luke Schenn has to become Luke Schenn of his Draft plus 1 and 2 years
  • Jack Rathbone has to become Ryan Suter
  • Travis Dermott has to become a decent no. 5/6 guy who gives you 16 minutes of unnoticeable hockey
  • Kyle Burroughs has to become Kevin Bieksa
  • Tucker Poolman has to become Chris Tanev
  • Thatcher Demko has to be Thatcher Demko (Bubble Demko over 60 reg games and 20-25 playoff games would be ideal)
  • Spencer Martin has to become Cory Schneider when he was backing up Bobby Lou when they shared the Jennings

If the hockey gods miraculously grant all this to us long suffering Canucks fans, we can sit along West Georgia and watch the parade.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The Twins and Naslund were not soft players.  They were incredibly tough.  When Fon Cherry was asked who the toughest player was on his “Big Bad Bruin’s” team, he answered “Jean Ratelle”.  He clarified his response by saying that Ratelle carried the puck and controlled the game even though he took a beating while doing so.  Cherry said that was what being tough was.

The Twins and Naslund were Don Cherry’s definition of tough.  

It's like some of these posters never watched Hanks battles on the boards or both the twins ability to hang onto the puck while being slashed and cross checked.

Any one who calls the Sedin's soft knows jack$hit about hockey.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Boeser.

even just releasing him saves us cap.

if Kuzmenko signs,.  I think Boeser is a sign and trade or he is let go.

I get why you don't like Boeser, he hasn't had the same ppg since before his injury in his rookie season.  I wonder about him myself.  But Boeser isn't a centre which was what I was talking about.

Boeser is another subject.  But whether he gets signed or not is something else.  I would rather see him back but to be honest, $7.5 is a lot to pay for what he has brought in recent seasons, even if for only 1 year.

So why do this? Well, JR has options..........this option is a big aggressive team, with picks to fill the farm

Horvat to NJersey for the 2022 - 2nd OA + 2023 - 2nd..........................no players back

Boeser at 50% retained to Washington for Winnipeg's 2022 - 2nd  and Washington's 2023-2nd...........no players back

Garland to LA for Roy +? Not sure what the extra is? If any.

Rathbone and McDonough for Nicolas Roy and Nicolas Hague

Dickenson for a 2023 - 7th

Myers for a 2023- 2nd

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 Draft Rounds 1, 2 and 3

2 OA.....................David Jiricek RHD...........6'3"  191 lbs

15th OA................Cutter Gauthier LW..........6'2"  189 lbs

46th OA................Noah Warren RHD..........6'5"   215 lbs

79th OA................Tyler Brennan G..............6'4"   190 lbs

2023 Draft Rounds 1, 2, and 3

Vancouver's  2023 -1st

New jersey's 2023 - 2nd

Vancouver's 2023 - 2nd

Myers 2023 - 2nd

Washington's 2023 - 2nd

Vancouver's 2023 -3rd

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UFA ......................Nicolas Paul ...................27 years old..........6'3" 219 lbs       3 year sX $4.0

UFA.......................Evander Kane.................30 years old..........6'2" 210 lbs       5 Years X $5.0

UFA.......................Nikita Zadorov.................27 years old..........6'6" 235 lbs       5 years X $4.0

UFA.......................Ilya Lyubushkin...............28 years old..........6'2" 201 lbs       3 years X $2.0

UFA.......................Vaeri Nichhushkin...........27 years old..........6'4" 210 lbs       5 years X $5.0

Kane                  Pettersson                  Podkolzin         14

Nichhushkin          Miller                        Hoglander        12

Pearson                 Paul                        Roy                    7

Highmore            Lammikko                  Lockwood          3                                36 +29 + 6 = 71 M   + Retention 5 + 2 Bonus's = 78 Million

Hughes................Roy               13

OEL.....................Zadorov         11

Hague..................Lyubushkin     3

Burroughs............Schenn           2

Demko                                         6

Martin

Yes, huge undertaking.......it may take a couple of years to complete it all with different players, but it could fit under the cap, and still have extra cap......

I think that is the point!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I will disagree of course.  But that's what opinions are for.

A captain reflects the image, persona, and character identity of an entire Team.

you get what you pin the “C” to.

Or you get someone else challenging for that in their leadership style,  and others following that example.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

I can't see them trading Bo and Miller. It's one or the other.

I agree.

While I like both players and what they bring to our team, Bo is a couple of years younger and will be cheaper to sign.

Miller should bring us a better return.

As much as l love our team it is not a real contender.

To make it a consistent contender in 3-4 years, when our core are in their prime, hard decisions have to be made now.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

So why do this? Well, JR has options..........this option is a big aggressive team, with picks to fill the farm

Horvat to NJersey for the 2022 - 2nd OA + 2023 - 2nd..........................no players back

Boeser at 50% retained to Washington for Winnipeg's 2022 - 2nd  and Washington's 2023-2nd...........no players back

Myers for a 2023- 2nd

Vancouver's  2023 -1st

New jersey's 2023 - 2nd

Vancouver's 2023 - 2nd

Myers 2023 - 2nd

Washington's 2023 - 2nd

Vancouver's 2023 -3rd

UFA ......................Nicolas Paul ...................27 years old..........6'3" 219 lbs       3 year sX $4.0

UFA.......................Evander Kane.................30 years old..........6'2" 210 lbs       5 Years X $5.0

UFA.......................Nikita Zadorov.................27 years old..........6'6" 235 lbs       5 years X $4.0

UFA.......................Ilya Lyubushkin...............28 years old..........6'2" 201 lbs       3 years X $2.0

UFA.......................Vaeri Nichhushkin...........27 years old..........6'4" 210 lbs       5 years X $5.0

Highmore            Lammikko                  Lockwood          3                                36 +29 + 6 = 71 M   + Retention 5 + 2 Bonus's = 78 Million

Martin

Yes, huge undertaking.......it may take a couple of years to complete it all with different players, but it could fit under the cap, and still have extra cap......

I'd send Horvat and Garland to New Jersey for Mercer and Holtz and their 2023 1st (unprotected)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PositionOfPower said:

Haha good luck we even fail at tanking. Year after year tank for:

Tavares fail

MacKinnon fail

McDavid fail

Matthews fail

Dahlin fail

Lafreniere fail

I don't think you understand what "tanking" is.....

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, tas said:

drivel.

“I really like Bo. I’ve always liked him back to his junior hockey days,” said Rutherford. “There’s been good discussions with him after the season. He had a good year this year… and he’s got a lot of good hockey left in him. He’s a character guy, he’s a centre iceman that’s hard to find, and we believe that he should be part of our team going forward.”

Yup, we just recently heard it from the man in charge himself. This is speculative drivel from a flimsy source at best. Just trolling for clicks from a fanbase that'll eat up just about any news.

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Kypreos is hardly an insider for the Canucks. Stating the obvious about changes. The country club comment stems from a different era.  Guys dredging the sanitary station for fresh news.

Go slam your head on the ice again Kippy. 

Bunch of buzzwords thrown together, Kipper ain't a legit Canucks source. If this was coming from someone more credible maybe I'd have my interest piqued.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Y'all are getting a little carried away:lol:

On CDC? :bigblush:

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Myers for a 2023- 2nd

Vancouver's  2023 -1st

New jersey's 2023 - 2nd

Vancouver's 2023 - 2nd

Myers 2023 - 2nd

Washington's 2023 - 2nd

Vancouver's 2023 -3rd

Martin

I love your posts Jan you put so much work into them.

I don't know if this would make us a real contender for years to come and I am also unsure about Kane being on our Team. 

Sure he has done well- hockey wise- half a season with McDavid- however as a person he leaves a lot to be desired.

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I get why you don't like Boeser, he hasn't had the same ppg since before his injury in his rookie season.  I wonder about him myself.  But Boeser isn't a centre which was what I was talking about.

Boeser is another subject.  But whether he gets signed or not is something else.  I would rather see him back but to be honest, $7.5 is a lot to pay for what he has brought in recent seasons, even if for only 1 year.

I do like him,  I just don’t know if he ever got the right mentorship for his game here.… and don’t get me wrong, I   like others are empathetic to what this year has been like for him.

We are missing the true power forward that stands out on many teams.

I have a tough time thinking he’ll play hard ball with his 7.5 QO … is he a 7m player, no ..

a 6m ,  perhaps.. but there is a lack of physicality to his game.

There are better minds at this than mine and the ones in this forum,  but even they will discuss everything we do on these boards.

Its the “culture” change JR was referring to that might move those players that a lot of fans have an emotional attachment to, that will make this team better than the last half of the season.

Smyl said it after the “house cleaning” you e got to be hard to play against every night,.  And I’m pretty sure he wasn’t defining puck skills.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1