The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Colorado Avalanche (C1) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) | Avalanche win 2022 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2022 Stanley Cup Final  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Avalanche in 4
    • Avalanche in 5
    • Avalanche in 6
    • Avalanche in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/19/2022 at 12:00 AM

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

And seriously? Did you see their season since December? I'd say since Bruce there's been a significant step forward but people just act like that didn't happen.

That's why I didn't say 4 steps back ;)

That said the team still missed the playoffs and who really knows what is in store next few seasons. Will Miller get traded? What will the team do with Boeser's qualifying offer? what about Horvat's extension next season?

All question will play in the next few seasons but all signs point to either the current roster getting paid more than before (eating away to the cap more) or having to trade some players away that could lead to a less effective team. 

In fact the one thing Avs and Canucks have in common is that both have to address their cap issues this offseason. However Avs have an excuse because the team a cup contender and the Canucks are, at best, a bubble team. If many here don't think the Avs and Canucks situation isn't comparable, then you also need to ask yourself how did Canucks get into cap issues at this point? 

I have to say that I though MacKinnon would be much better in the playoffs. I know, he scored 13 goals, a lot of big ones in the SCF, and 24 points in 20 games, but after his monstrous regular season I just thought he'd take over the way McDavid did. Obviously he won the Cup but there's been such Crosby-like hype for MacKinnon to have a massive playoffs, I just thought he'd end up having an MVP-like run, and I certainly didn't think the Avs best player would be Makar. Obviously he's great too, but he absolutely stole the show for most of the playoffs and especially the SCF, elevated his already-epic game to another level.

The worry going forward is that MacKinnon, Landeskog, Makar, Toews and Rantanen have a taste of winning now and are far from finished. This is their big core.

Just like the Blackhawks, they can rotate depth players in and out of their cap structure. Keumper needs to be re-signed and surely will, but they may well lose Kadri and some depth guys this off-season. They've got to re-sign Nate next year which will blow the bank as well. When Chicago and Pittsburgh were winning their Cup, they did a similar thing - keep the core together, rotated the goalies a tiny bit but mainly sold picks/prospects near the TDL to get some more depth to help another run. I bet Colorado will do the same in the next two off-seasons.

The other option for Sakic is to keep drafting high and try to stay competitive with this young core for as long as possible. In Chicago and Pittsburgh, their cores were ageing so they had some desperation to go for it, whereas Colorado have a lot of time. I think the smarter thing will be to keep their picks and try and stay competitive from within, a bit how like Tampa have. Their young core have a good 5 year contending window right now which is scary to think about.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:09 PM, -DLC- said:

I was JUST starting to see my hatred of them from 2004 fade when....Kadri joined the team. Nope.

Maybe Kadri is a jerk... but he is a hell of a player and a real sparkplug.

Without him, I don't think the Aves make it to the finals... especially first couple rounds.

Leafs really blew it when they traded him and kept Flamingo Boy.

Scoring is only one part of what makes a Stanley Cup team... you need grit, and the ability to up your game.  Kadri does that.

Kadri and Makar are the single biggest reasons the Aves were able to win this year.

On 6/27/2022 at 6:12 PM, johngould21 said:

Honest question to all of you. How many of you saw the potential of Cale Makar on draft day? Drafted from the AJHL, and turns into probably the top 3 player in the League, and his career path might have him as one of the best ever defenseman, right up there with Orr.

Makar could have been drafted by the Flyers. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2262986

4 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Brewed according to the high quality standards of Coors Brewing Company, Golden, Colorado, U.S.A. Aged slowly for that legendary ice cold, easy drinking taste 

Coors Beer is a Colorado company.  

At least now I know who to blame..

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2022 at 8:14 PM, J-23 said:

Why Mark Messier on my screen making excuses for Tampa.

Why is Mark Messier punking all Subway Sandwich outlets & their customers in BC, by appearing in Subway marketing ads to this province? You’d think this company would know better! 

^This ridiculous commercial has put me off buying Subway sandwiches for the foreseeable future! After making a similar blunder, I believe “Lays” potato chips may have learned their lesson, tho. 

Edited by viking mama

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Boycotted?

IIHF world Jr Championships will be a different animal without Russia & Belarus…and during August.

But, I’m not into baseball, football or MLS soccer, as much, so during a heat-wave some air-conditioned indoor hockey-watching might suffice. 

Edited by viking mama

4 minutes ago, viking mama said:

IIHF world Jr Championships will be a different animal without Russia & Belarus…and in during August.

But, I’m not into baseball, football or MLS soccer, as much, so during a heat-wave some air-conditioned indoor hockey-watching might suffice. 

And with Hockey Canada facing the backlash they are and having sponsorship pulling out left and right.

This tournament is definitely going to have a dark cloud over it.