The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Filip Johansson

Just now, Quantum said:

He signed a 2 year extension in the SHL back in December 2021 with Frolunda, It doesn't seem like that's the kind of move a first round pick makes if the Wild truly refused to sign him. Seems like it was mutual, at the very least.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/12/wild-prospect-filip-johansson-signs-two-year-extension-in-sweden.html

Because they weren't willing to sign him to an ELC.  They also let the 1 June deadline go by because they saw more value in the compensatory pick.  He was a Fenton pick.  

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You know I love free prospects.

But...there's other leagues and nationalities outside of Sweden.  In fact if I recall there's a gem of a local kid in the NCAA playing RHD that is looking for a home.....

Jake Livingstone?  No one signed him yet?

7 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

I don't get it, where does this 'compensatory' free pick come from?
The NHL just has some random extra freebie picks in the second round to pass out as they see fit?

Yeah, only heard about these types of compensation in Baseball.  Can anyone elaborate on the rule(s) ?

30 minutes ago, rekker said:

Huh? Recent first rounder, 24 years old, righty? Sounds solid, anyone watch him play recently?

Only 22

The description in the PR gives me a Tanevesque vible. Point total suggest the same (defensive dman - 11 pts in 46 / 47 games last two seasons). But he did have 7 pts in 9 playoff games this year which is impressive.

A free 6'1 RD who can play like Tanev is good enough for me! Gradin would likely have had some input here as well and is well known to be a stellar scout for us.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, mll said:

When a 1st rounder doesn't sign his ELC with the team that drafted him, the team gets a compensatory pick in the 2nd round (same spot but 2nd round).  He was a former 24th overall so 2nd round at the 24th spot is 56th overall and there will be 33 picks in the 2nd round this year.

Chicago got one for Kevin Hayes going to free agency and signing with NYR.  Colorado traded the rights of Bleackley to Arizona and they took the pick and he re-entered the draft.  The Wild decided that the 2nd round pick was more valuable to them.

Thanks.

Still doesn't make sense - where does it come from?

I guess everyone bumps down a spot? So last pick doesn't get a 2nd round pick, they get bumped to 3rd round?

Seems weird.

24 minutes ago, AV. said:

It's not a bad gamble.  Likely an AHLer, perhaps a call-up in the distant future.

We'll see what we have at training camp, I guess.  And in years after.

He's under contract for one more year in Sweden, then will come over. Not a bad place to be playing. He will apparently be at young stars so we will get a glimpse of him there.

Just now, Putgolzin said:

Thanks.

Still doesn't make sense - where does it come from?

I guess everyone bumps down a spot? So last pick doesn't get a 2nd round pick, they get bumped to 3rd round?

Seems weird.

The league just 'inserts' a pick there, so everyone below drops one spot down. The pick does not come from the Canucks as he's a UFA

• Cheers 1

Just now, NucknAsia said:

He's under contract for one more year in Sweden, then will come over. Not a bad place to be playing. He will apparently be at young stars so we will get a glimpse of him there.

Yes, that's what I meant.

He's one for the distant future.

• Cheers 1