The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Filip Johansson

2 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

Have you watched him play? I doubt it, so you've assumed a great deal. I have not either but I'm not assuming he's an NHL player or NOT...I will let time dictate that

Chris Tanev was never drafted, he was so small and skinny the OHL didn't even want him, he wasn't drafted and has become one of the best defensive defenseman in the NHL, so evaluating players before you've seen them play is a bit silly imho.

He has been described as a defensive dman, so his point totals don't mean alot. If he puts on some weight, given his strong skating, what seems to be a good hockey iq from the scouting reports, and from video, what seems to be a very good shot and offensive anticipation, who's to say he can't develop. He's 22. 

Let's wait and see what we have before we assume he's nothing or he's something. The pessimism on these boards is kinda gross.

I am a strong fan of the Canucks and I desperately want them to win a Cup in my lifetime. But there are two types of fans--those with a strong "homer bias" and those with more of an analysis bias. I am definitely in the second group. I try to have an accurate assessment of team and player prospects.

I know that a lot of fans get a lot of pleasure by being optimistic about prospects, and it is fun to follow prospects but, like I said, I like to realistic about their chances. 

Tanev was a great pickup by Gillis as an undrafted ELC, but it is hard to find other examples of successful undrafted ELCs for the Canucks since then, and that has been a long time. However, I do expect Allvin to be more successful on this front than Benning. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, I suppose he's as much of an expert as anyone else who does that sort of thing for a few years.

As to the hat, there's a lot of Scandinavians in Minnesota, as in Ballard (down in Washington). I figured it was a cultural thing.

regards,  G.

Better than Saturday Night Live- for almost  every season they had.

Why, why, why no reruns of this excellent show.?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Better than Saturday Night Live- for almost  every season they had.

Why, why, why no reruns of this excellent show.?

Network issues? Ownership rights? Who knows?

There is a bit of a saga for this show, both with the network affiliation and changes in the local station ownership. NBC seems to have always been drittsekks when it comes to restricting screenings of older shows. Perhaps you recall that "Almost Live!" was originally aired after SNL, and the local Seattle/Washington State audience demanded that it be put on before SNL, so they didn't have to wait until 1:00 AM to see it. KING complied, and put "Almost Live!" on at 11:30 (after the news). NBC network noticed the reduction in the SNL viewership (people were going to bed right after "Almost Live!" ended) and demanded that SNL be returned to the 11:30 time slot. 

This pushing back of "Almost Live!" to 1:00 was likely a factor in their revenues going down, which led to the new station ownership (from outside of the state market) cancelling the show. Perhaps they haven't seen high enough prospects for a financial return to put re-runs on.

It was great while it lasted. Recurring skits like:  Uncle Fran; Billy Kwan; their take-offs on network shows (like "Cops"); The Worst Girlfriend in the World"; Bill Nye; Speed Walking Man; or, perhaps my favorite, The Lame List (What's Weak, This Week);

This person has a fairly lengthy list of skits: https://www.youtube.com/user/GeorgeBuford/videos

regards,  G.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JM_ said:

so why did they sour on him?

From a few things which I've scanned, it seems like the Wild didn't think he was developing (fast) enough. He's also not all that heavy (maybe still at 180 lbs?) That video I linked earlier had some speculation by that local pod caster. 

He does appear to be more of a defense first type of d-man, so maybe the Wild didn't find him to be all that sexy after all?

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he started next season in the AHL (if for no reason other than the numbers game and he likely should be waivers exempt), or maybe he sees periodic duty as the 7th d-man until he shows what he can do.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Quantum said:

These are the kind of bets I like to see.

22, former first round pick who refused to sign in Minnesota, RD, good size. He will come in and compete for a roster spot this season.

Impressive work by Allvin & company.

at what point did 6'1" 176# become "Good Size"?

5 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, only heard about these types of compensation in Baseball.  Can anyone elaborate on the rule(s) ?

remember the Pat White and Rahimi to San Jose for Erhoff and Lukowich

Pat White was a Nonis / Canuck 1st round pick

San Jose did not sign White, took the pick

even though it was a Canuck first rounder and not their own

11 minutes ago, lmm said:

I have to ask this now, 

are the Canucks going to become the dumping ground for all Swedish mis-fires and blown picks?

Has Alvin signed a non-Swede yet?

Guy has been in the role for about 6 months now. Let's give him some time, along with the rest of the new MGMT group before we start labelling them pro swede. But I know of a pro swede insider who might have the scoop. @Timråfan what are you hearing???

• Huggy Bear 1

27 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I suspect the 2nd rnd pick was more enticing given hes still a longshot at this point

Agreed, he' wont develop into the player they hoped he would so take the second and either trade up in the 1st and take another swing.

His trade value is likely a third at best so why not recoup a 2nd

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

I am a strong fan of the Canucks and I desperately want them to win a Cup in my lifetime. But there are two types of fans--those with a strong "homer bias" and those with more of an analysis bias. I am definitely in the second group. I try to have an accurate assessment of team and player prospects.

I know that a lot of fans get a lot of pleasure by being optimistic about prospects, and it is fun to follow prospects but, like I said, I like to realistic about their chances. 

Tanev was a great pickup by Gillis as an undrafted ELC, but it is hard to find other examples of successful undrafted ELCs for the Canucks since then, and that has been a long time. However, I do expect Allvin to be more successful on this front than Benning. 

For the record, I try to be analytical to an extent as well, but I also try and give credit where credit it due when I can. If nothing can be said about something, it doesn't hurt to be positive in place of that. These are kids we are talking about. Some will develop well while others will not. That's a given, but it's a steep slope when we start getting too critical of these kids and it's definately possible to become too critical.

My advice: analyze to find things that get you excited about these kids. Figure out why we signed the kid rather than focus on the negatives along with the positives.I can guarentee you'll find it a much better strategy that will at least allow you to be able to talk with the more positive people. Analysis is great, but being a downer isn't basically and I think sometimes your ego gets in the way of actually being analytical. You'll be convinced your right on things without really realising someone else might have a better analysis in the end and it's important to assess and compare what other people are thinking along with that you are thinking when those situations occur. We are all human afterall and no one ever bats at 100%. ;)

Edit: In fact, let me give you an example: look at Sids posts. He's able to be analytical while literally be positive. He doesn't anger anyone. He points out what needs to be pointed out. I implore you to at least think about that for a while. Don't just react to what I'm saying, scoff, and that's it. Think about it for a while.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Are the Canucks the only team you cheer for and you hate all others?  That’s being a “strong” fan.  You cannot have “backup” teams you enjoy seeing win and be a “strong” fan.  

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are the Canucks the only team you cheer for and you hate all others?  That’s being a “strong” fan.  You cannot have “backup” teams you enjoy seeing win and be a “strong” fan.  

where do you get your information on that assessment?

the level of "Hate" some of you fans think is necessary to be a "Strong Fan" or "True Fan "

I find laughable and sad

Who says hate is necessary to be a sports fan?

Hate is a debilitating ailment of the soul, 

but it is bandied around here as the number one ingredient of strong/true fandom

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

One thing the previous regime didn’t do is accumulate assets to “hopefully” hit on 1/5 instead they tried to go 1/1 on their very few picks/young players which part of the reason this team is so asset poor

Johansson might be the next juolevi but he’s instantly our no.1 RHD young player in the system which is kinda sad :wacko: :picard:

it takes an army to win a cup Canucks need MORE of these types of moves because you need as many swings as possible to hit a home run…or just get on base 

089D243D-C5D7-4BDE-A1CF-0F876481ABFC.gif

Edited by billabong
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Tanev was a great pickup by Gillis as an undrafted ELC, but it is hard to find other examples of successful undrafted ELCs for the Canucks since then, 

Tony Tony Stretcher!

51 Reasons the Vancouver Canucks shouldn't trade Troy Stecher - Page 4

Ryan Stanton was kinda alright too. 

Antoine Roussel unfortunately we let him go in 2011 instead of signing him and he went on to play his best hockey in Dallas always chapped my butt when he played against us instead of for us when we really needed a player like that. By the time we got him back his best hockey was behind him. 

Rick Rypein I guess he came in a lil before Tanev.  Burr too. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1