The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Filip Johansson

34 minutes ago, Quantum said:

These are the kind of bets I like to see.

22, former first round pick who refused to sign in Minnesota, RD, good size. He will come in and compete for a roster spot this season.

Impressive work by Allvin & company.

Signed for one more year in sweden, then coming over. We'll see him in the young stars this season though, according to the pr.

Just now, Putgolzin said:

Thanks.

Still doesn't make sense - where does it come from?

I guess everyone bumps down a spot? So last pick doesn't get a 2nd round pick, they get bumped to 3rd round?

Seems weird.

The last pick is still in the 2nd round but there will be 33 picks that round.  Instead of starting at 65th overall (2x 32), the 3rd round starts with 66th overall. 

• Vintage 1

Great news though - always happy to have some free prospects.

In quick research, apparently he Patrick White-d his way into the first round based on a reputation of big time hockey smarts.

His head-coach-in-waiting Mr. Bruce There It Is remained in a wait and see position though - https://theathletic.com/427612/2018/07/10/filip-johansson-wild-hockey-iq-first-round-draft-pick-development-camp/

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Well, JR/PA are doing what they said they would... finding talent in Europe and college levels.

Yup.

And continuing the Benning-era strategy of signing dozens of RHD for cheap hoping one or two will catch lightning.

Schenn was a homerun.

Hamonic not.

And then the dozen or so that stayed in the AHL last year may still come around if they don't sign elsewhere.

A RD who was drafted in the first round and who is still pretty young, considering our lack of RD prospects it seems like a good gamble even if we give up a pick.

We've been asking for RD who can focus on D, sounds like we went and signed one.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Only 22

The description in the PR gives me a Tanevesque vible. Point total suggest the same (defensive dman - 11 pts in 46 / 47 games last two seasons). But he did have 7 pts in 9 playoff games this year which is impressive.

A free 6'1 RD who can play like Tanev is good enough for me! Gradin would likely have had some input here as well and is well known to be a stellar scout for us.

22 years old? Even better. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

Great news though - always happy to have some free prospects.

In quick research, apparently he Patrick White-d his way into the first round based on a reputation of big time hockey smarts.

His head-coach-in-waiting Mr. Bruce There It Is remained in a wait and see position though - https://theathletic.com/427612/2018/07/10/filip-johansson-wild-hockey-iq-first-round-draft-pick-development-camp/

Seems like, Fenton tried to make a name for himself with the pick ?

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

From that video...

Definitely looks like some burgers need to be on the menu haha...but we know that

Seems to be very mobile

Seems to have a nice shot, hard slap shot, accurate wrister and seems to have a very good one timer.

Alot to like there, particularly if he's a defensive dman as advertised.

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I don't get it... if we plan on giving him a shot in the future, why not develop him next season in Abby??

Size maybe? Perhaps they feel better for him to gain weight first.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Quantum said:

These are the kind of bets I like to see.

22, former first round pick who refused to sign in Minnesota, RD, good size. He will come in and compete for a roster spot this season.

Impressive work by Allvin & company.

He's going back to Sweden next year.  He isn't cracking our top 8 or even the AHL at this point.

Just now, RakuRaku said:

Ohhhh... so we are signing him for the following 2 years after the next? or maybe Management feels he's better suited to keep developing there?

Actually I changed it...I realized we just signed him...so technically he must be our property....Given his size, they probably think its better for him to keep playing there and put on some muscle before coming to NA.

5 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I don't get it... if we plan on giving him a shot in the future, why not develop him next season in Abby??

Looks to me that he is a longer term project. Definitely needs to get stronger. I like him staying in Sweden, home cooking, maturing, getting stronger. 

• Like 1