The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks targetting Copp, Mikheyev, and Lazar

8 hours ago, D-Money said:

Nichushkin is likely getting $7M x 7 years. Canucks can’t afford him.

He's had one good year dude, no one is giving him $7m x 7 - he's been a 20-30 pt player his whole career. He's not getting the same money as Landeskog (he got $7 mil x 8 but you get the point).

Jesus settle down

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Do you really need them to see that 9mill for a 36 year old will have a negative impact on the cap?   
It wouldn’t be the first time a team lost a great player because of cap issues.  
It’s how we got Miller to begin with….

Landeskog got 8 years at a $7 mil aav and has numbers are MUCH better than Miller over the entirety of his career. Landeskog is a comp that will be used. 

Not sure why everyone assumes Miller's getting $9 mil for 7 years on the open market in a flat cap world where teams are still trying to recoup from covid losses. The only teams capable would be bottom feeders who wouldn't want him if in rebuild mode, and he likely wouldn't want to go to because he likely wants to win a cup.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Landeskog got 8 years at a $7 mil aav and has numbers are MUCH better than Miller over the entirety of his career. Landeskog is a comp that will be used. 

Not sure why everyone assumes Miller's getting $9 mil for 7 years on the open market in a flat cap world where teams are still trying to recoup from covid losses. The only teams capable would be bottom feeders who wouldn't want him if in rebuild mode, and he likely wouldn't want to go to because he likely wants to win a cup.

League had record profit this year, debts will be paid in two years and cap will probably take a big jump then, so only really a flat cap this and next. I expect with no facts or reason it will be over $100M in the next 5 years. 
NJ is rumoured to be ready to offer little Johnny $70M (10X7). I don’t think Miller comes in under 9 unless he really, really, really wants to be here. 

Just now, DrJockitch said:

League had record profit this year, debts will be paid in two years and cap will probably take a big jump then, so only really a flat cap this and next. I expect with no facts or reason it will be over $100M in the next 5 years. 
NJ is rumoured to be ready to offer little Johnny $70M (10X7). I don’t think Miller comes in under 9 unless he really, really, really wants to be here. 

Gaudreau has 609 pts in 602 games in his career 

Miller has 323 pts in 637 career games

I don't think they are comparable. Teams do not price off one year

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Do you really need them to see that 9mill for a 36 year old will have a negative impact on the cap?   

So all that is guaranteed huh?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Gaudreau has 609 pts in 602 games in his career 

Miller has 323 pts in 637 career games

I don't think they are comparable. Teams do not price off one year

Absolutely correct.  Miller and Goudreau are not comparable.  No team will offer a 30 year old Miller (as a UFA 2023 July 1) more than low 8s.  And I hope it isn't us.

We should be trading away Bo, Miller, and Demko.  Do a deep diving rebuild and draft top 5 for several years, until we have a young core that can compete with the top teams' core groups.  I'd move Hughes to Jersey is the return was right.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely correct.  Miller and Goudreau are not comparable.  No team will offer a 30 year old Miller (as a UFA 2023 July 1) more than low 8s.  And I hope it isn't us.

We should be trading away Bo, Miller, and Demko.  Do a deep diving rebuild and draft top 5 for several years, until we have a young core that can compete with the top teams' core groups.  I'd move Hughes to Jersey is the return was right.  

Dude, move quinn and demko and Petey is not re signing here in 3 years.

Miller or Bo, preferably Bo and Boeser or Garland.

Just now, SilentSam said:

Nice to see management investigating players of all potential,   And not just what get repeatedly discussed over and over on these boards.

Dermott is an example of that.

Drance was talking about the potential of Dermott becoming Hughes' partner.  Might be a steal of a deal if Hughes can carry Dermott on that top pair for 20 minutes a night 5 on 5.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Drance was talking about the potential of Dermott becoming Hughes' partner.  Might be a steal of a deal if Hughes can carry Dermott on that top pair for 20 minutes a night 5 on 5.

I do see Dermott potential to be as strong as Schenn’s  ..  who knows what happens to these young players Alf,  sometimes where they go , or get to after being drafted , does not help them truly develop because either the development is no there,  or mentorship is lacking.  ..  this could be Lazars case ?

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I do see Dermott potential to be as strong as Schenn’s  ..  who knows what happens to these young players Alf,  sometimes where they go , or get to after being drafted , does not help them truly develop because either the development is no there,  or mentorship is lacking.  ..  this could be Lazars case ?

We definitely need to a better job developing our young assets.  If Lazar comes cheap enough then he's a good signing.  But is he going to be expected to play higher in the lineup than he's able to?  I think it was Henrik back in December 2021 on a radio interview who said guys need to play at their level in the lineup and not above where they can be effective.  And that we need to allocate cap accordingly.  Benning seemed to allocate cap to guys in hopes that player could do well higher in the lineup than they were on previous teams.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Vanek and Vrbata, although not franchise altering, delivered on their contracts at least.  But yeah, it's definitely not a long list.

Oh yes of course... but % wise... we really sucked at making sound investments... our success rate with FA's is like... below 10%??

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Dermott can be trusted to play the right side, why not just let Hughes play the right side.

Then find some big defensive-minded mountain to play beside him. Much cheaper than trying to find the elusive #1 RHD.

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

The last 2 out of 3 years, Miller has smoked Landy in points. The one year he didn’t, he was only a couple points behind. 
GL best season was 79 points, and that was 7-8 years ago.    
Miller destroyed that by 20 points just last season. 
Hopefully that is used as a comparable, but they really aren’t.   

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

He's had one good year dude, no one is giving him $7m x 7 - he's been a 20-30 pt player his whole career. He's not getting the same money as Landeskog (he got $7 mil x 8 but you get the point).

Jesus settle down

He’s only 27, and was in the voting for the Selke. And the playoffs have only increased his value.

Maybe 7x7 is a bit high, but I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t get at least 6x6. If he’s willing to go that low, I bet Colorado extends him.

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

5 x $7,000,000

Captain.

Trade Horvat. Except Horvat is super beast. So it has to make a lot of sense.

Edited by Me_

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

He often clearly states that he merely reports what he's hearing from his contacts. He's not a trade breaker and never claimed to be one. 

if he was actually "hearing" anything about these specific players from anyone in a position to actually know anything, it would be tampering. 

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

5 x $7,000,000

Captain.

Trade Horvat.

IMO that is very wishful thinking.  
I don’t see a reason why he would take such a discount.  
He just came off a 99 point season.  
Boeser is about to get 7.5.  
Petey make much more than that, and hasn’t cracked 70.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1