The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce Hockey Operations enhancements

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

What's that saying some thing about Cooks, spoil, broth, the, too many ...... is this applicable. Remember a Camel is a horse invented by a committee. The concept of varying opinion is good in theory but is this over kill ??

My understanding is under Benning's regime and more so into covid, the team moved on from a lot of their personnel. I would have been lead to believe that by the end of Benning's tenure the management and operations departments were pretty bare bones compared to how an NHL organization would properly staff its departments. 

That being said, a little unique with the additions of multiple assistant General Manager types but nothing wrong with that. I think its a positive step for the organization to be looking into each department and beefing up their staffing, not to mention some solid NHL experienced people coming onboard, and real smart hockey, business and quality individuals is definitely building confidence in me as a fan of the club.

I understand the recent signings are not an indication of the recent hires effect on the club but it is an exciting time, very excited by the Filip Johansson ( under the radar ) and Andrei Kuzmenko signings.

Edited by Mike Vanderhoek
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I think it's part of what made Mike Gillis successful.  He invested in all aspects of the team.  People will say "oh yeah well he totally didn't build that team!"  Well I would point out that almost that entire team had their best years under Gillis.  It's not a coincidence.  Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa etc..  ALL had their best years under Gillis when we were investing in the "little things" 

This will fall on deaf ears, unfortunately.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well he didn't put any investment in scouting and player development it seems. Put money into sleep doctors but didn't put money into trainers or physio, or doctors. 

The core was there prior to Gillis. I'm not saying Gillis was horrible. I just don't think he's the end all be all of GM's in Vancouver. And he certainly left one hell of a mess. 

I think Gillis is better than what you are giving him credit for but that's even better if you're right.  So JR is doing what MG did well but even more so?  Awesome!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I just want a Stanley Cup Champion. 

I could care less about President's Cup champions or accolades. 

We’ll that just sounds greedy.

You want the million dollars but you don’t want to work for it.

7 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I think Gillis is better than what you are giving him credit for but that's even better if you're right.  So JR is doing what MG did well but even more so?  Awesome!

I want JR and Allvin to do what no GM/President has. Win us a cup. If it means we do the haka every morning before the game and it works, that's what I care about. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

wow, Allvin's been busy. 

We'll we've never had so much talent in the front office before, its really top heavy now in good ways. 

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

Love the Tallon hire....good move...more smarts and experience to our group

These are some heavyweight (in a good way) appointments, particularly Tallon but also some of the others.  The Canucks are looking pretty serious about improving the team. Aquillini is obviously spending a lot of money and I am guessing that was part of what JR wanted before signing on. 

But the hard part is rebuilding the player prospect pipeline. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JamesB said:

These are some heavyweight (in a good way) appointments, particularly Tallon but also some of the others.  The Canucks are looking pretty serious about improving the team. Aquillini is obviously spending a lot of money and I am guessing that was part of what JR wanted before signing on. 

But the hard part is rebuilding the player prospect pipeline. 

this is going to take 4-5 years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I just want a Stanley Cup Champion. 

I could care less about President's Cup champions or accolades. 

I get it, the prize at the end is what we all want. People should take a little time when the team has success to enjoy it, why not be over the moon about a President's Trophy win or wins year after year winning your division, even winning your Conference ? these are all huge accomplishments and builds that reputation and aura about a franchise. Its pretty sweet to know the team you have been supporting forever is the team that the rest of the league is envious of or looks up to in terms of standard set. For several year the Canucks were like a well oiled machine, few holes in their game.

I think there is a lot of people who didn't fully take it in during the last extremely successful era in Canucks hockey and yet kept yearning for the East or big markets or somebody to really take notice, so many people felt the Canucks were not given their due attention while they essentially steam-rolled the opposition for years and made the Chicago's and Boston's of the world really take notice. Its a form of flattery when you see the lengths some opposition went to try and derail the Canucks, the Toews Playoff loss quotes " The Canucks get too much credit ",  " And that's what's frustrating because we're not exposing them for what they really are." was a thing of beauty.

Don't take those successes for granted because you might not get the big prize at the end and yeah would be disappointing but enjoy the ride.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1