The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Garland to LAK

In order to improve our D and to get bigger and tougher to play against I propose this trade:

To LAK: Garland

To VAN: Matt Roy + 2022 2nd round pick

(disclaimer: I stole this idea from @J.I.A.H.N in one of his multi-trade threads)

But I think this reasonably simple move is a good start towards fixing our defense.

Matt Roy is 27, 6'1", 200 lbs. He played 21 mins per night last season and and is an excellent defensive Dman that also has ability to move the puck. With 49% ozS he had a CF% of 55.5%. He had 21 pts last season with 17 at even strength. He would be an excellent long term partner for Hughes and is signed for 2 more seasons at $3.15m. Roy is valuable to LA but they have good organisational depth at RD (Doughty, Walker, Durzi, Spence, Clarke, Grans, Faber) so they can afford to trade him.

This move also gives us a 2022 2nd round pick and the cap space to sign the following UFAs:

Nick Paul $4m x 4

Deslauriers $2m x 2

Lazar $950k x 3

It adds much needed center depth, grit, size, aggression and defensive ability.

And RFAs:

Boeser $6.5m x 3

Lammikko $1.05m x 3

Highmore $950k x 3

Lockwood $850k x 2

Rathbone $950k x 2

Poolman is either traded, LTIR or waived (I assume he will be waived) 

Dickinson is either traded or bought out (I assume he is bought out)

2022/23 Opening Night Roster with cap hit of $79.5m is:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Kuzmenko Horvat Podkolzin

Pearson Paul Deslauriers

Highmore Lammikko Lazar

(Lockwood/Hoglander)

Hughes Roy

OEL Myers

Dermott Schenn

(Rathbone Burroughs)

Demko

(Martin)

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Garland was one of our best 5 x 5 guys last season.   He's got untapped PP potential as well... I'd really like to keep him.   Him and EP also draw the most penalties on the team - that's also important.    He's also one of a few guys who cap hit isn't hurting us.   Based on his pay he's an excellent producer, also led our forwards in plus minus...

Look at it this way, for vet forwards (especially ones expected to produce for you) each 100k should get you a point to match their cap hit as a par.   Anything more then that is absolute gravy.    He's done that for us.   Plus some given he doesn't rely on the PP to pad his stats.    That's before intangibles - one of his is he's a bit of a pest and draws penalties because he's also very skilled (maybe being small helps too lol).  

Where is our bad cap?   Well that's pretty simple.   Dead cap we are still dealing with from the JB era.   So buying out anyone is out of the question.   Dickie?  Well IF he scores 25 even strength points he's awesome.   People need to get that.    Brock by far was our worst cap last season.   It's not Myers lol.   Or OEL but both those guys are not good cap hits either (maybe 2-3 dead cap between the two).    EP should be scoring 79 points or so to make his cap hit...he hasn't yet.   But for sure looked like he can make it down the stretch and some.   Superstars like McDavid and Mathews are worth every cent ... But guys like Garland and Pearson are equally important.    Where a team really achieves is having a healthy diet of ELCs coming up to even things out OR older vets willing to play for peanuts ... Brock ... well maybe he can score 73 or so next season let's freaking hope so. 

Of course it does depend on the player and their two way game as well.   Those guys don't need to get a point for every 100k as long as they are keeping the puck out of our own net and doing other things.   Miller ... he's still valuable at around 8.5 for us.    Or any team ... for a couple seasons anyways.   But is going to cost us something decent to keep, and really we need to be prepared to possibly not see him opening night. 

Our cap isn't ideal.   We don't have any ELC's coming up either that we can call slam dunks.   Rathbone is our best prospect lol.   Not good.    What we should be doing, is trading some of our bad cap that has value, and Miller (Brock eventually) and adding behind EP and QHs.    It doesn't have to make us worse either ... Brock and Miller would go a long way into making that happen.   Miller should be traded as soon as a good deal that makes sense comes along.   Horvat is also a guy we need to either sign or trade, in this scenario Miller stays. 

Brock should be traded IF we want to sign someone like Manson.   To me he'd be the ideal scenario.    I'm not that concerned about Myers, feel if we don't trade him it's ok ... and if we add a guy like Manson and keep Myers that solves our short to medium term right side issues.   I could see Myers signing short term deals at half the cap hit once this deal is done ... another reason i'm not super keen on trading him.    Myers on our bottom pairing in a couple years could be a very good thing for us, same as if we kept Edler instead of signing Hamonic ...

Brock staying is okay too but we are banking on a bounce back year in that case.   Think that's what will happen.   And possibly see him traded when his value goes up around this years TDL.  

Sell high buy low.   That's exactly what Sakic did in COL.    By trading Duchene (Brock?  Miller for sure) and then Barrie for Kadri (plugging a massive hole) and then taking advantage of good teams cap issues, he created an absolute monster team (Toews and Bur, plus Makar, Girard, Byram). 

Trading Garland to LA means we are banking absolutely that Brock is going to bounce back.   I wouldn't do that.   Roy is a decent target no doubt - but i wouldn't trade Garland to an up and coming team in our own division either. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the credit @BigTramFan

When I am not just spitting out proposals for the fun of it and being a little more serious, your proposal is the type I think about.

I do have a number of problems I have not resolved, when I think about it...............

#1. How do we improve to move into that top 8, which is where I think most cup champions come from? (I do not think this proposal puts us there).

#2. How do we continue to resign our veterans, such as Miller, Horvat, Pettersson and even Kusmenko, if he succeeds and is an actual top 6?

These are the questions I ask myself now, as I see our window, actually opening in 2 years. I mean even Roy is only 2 years away from needing resigning.

Any ways, this is a solid proposal, but this is what I struggle with...........cheers!

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

In order to improve our D and to get bigger and tougher to play against I propose this trade:

To LAK: Garland

To VAN: Matt Roy + 2022 2nd round pick

(disclaimer: I stole this idea from @J.I.A.H.N in one of his multi-trade threads)

But I think this reasonably simple move is a good start towards fixing our defense.

Matt Roy is 27, 6'1", 200 lbs. He played 21 mins per night last season and and is an excellent defensive Dman that also has ability to move the puck. With 49% ozS he had a CF% of 55.5%. He had 21 pts last season with 17 at even strength. He would be an excellent long term partner for Hughes and is signed for 2 more seasons at $3.15m. Roy is valuable to LA but they have good organisational depth at RD (Doughty, Walker, Durzi, Spence, Clarke, Grans, Faber) so they can afford to trade him.

This move also gives us a 2022 2nd round pick and the cap space to sign the following UFAs:

Nick Paul $4m x 4

Deslauriers $2m x 2

Lazar $950k x 3

It adds much needed center depth, grit, size, aggression and defensive ability.

And RFAs:

Boeser $6.5m x 3

Lammikko $1.05m x 3

Highmore $950k x 3

Lockwood $850k x 2

Rathbone $950k x 2

Poolman is either traded, LTIR or waived (I assume he will be waived) 

Dickinson is either traded or bought out (I assume he is bought out)

2022/23 Opening Night Roster with cap hit of $79.5m is:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Paul Deslauriers

Highmore Lammikko Lazar

(Lockwood/Hoglander)

Hughes Roy

OEL Myers

Dermott Schenn

(Rathbone Burroughs)

Demko

(Martin)

Thoughts?

Very realistic post and I could see this type of move happening.. So many people on this site post like 5--6 new players I don't see that.. I see 3--4 new players on opening night roster..Need to get more grit and toughness...Glad Kuzmenko signed and he should be playing beside Horvat or on 3rd line... Kuzmenko 18 G---37 points

I think the Miller trade will happen at the draft in exchange  for RD under 24-- roster player top 9 --- top prospect -- 2nd round pick 2022

Trade will be with one of these teams.. NYR -- LA Kings -- NJ Devils --Carolina---

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Miller to LA for Clarke & 2nd.

Gets us our RHD and the missing pick we need.

I think Vancouver will get More... Clarke or Faber both RD under 23 -- Valardi 23, 6'3 C --Lemieux 26 adds grit -- 2nd rounder 2022

Miller -- 3rd 2023

Really like the proposals, I'd do them all. I worry management want players around 25yo so Roy might be a bit too old, but at 27 he could easily play a poor-man's Tanev role for a good 5 years with Hughes.

Like the UFA pick-ups, we probably don't need Deslauriers as well though but definitely need a 3C (one of Paul, Tierney, Janmark/Jarnkrok, Copp but I worry Copp and Paul will be too pricey) and Lazar for <1M would be a lovely 4th line addition, keeps Lockwood out of the lineup but gives us size and center depth.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Very realistic post and I could see this type of move happening.. So many people on this site post like 5--6 new players I don't see that.. I see 3--4 new players on opening night roster..Need to get more grit and toughness...Glad Kuzmenko signed and he should be playing beside Horvat or on 3rd line... Kuzmenko 18 G---37 points

I think the Miller trade will happen at the draft in exchange  for RD under 24-- roster player top 9 --- top prospect -- 2nd round pick 2022

Trade will be with one of these teams.. NYR -- LA Kings -- NJ Devils --Carolina---

Philly is in the mix too they could part with their 5th overall

• Cheers 1

There must be a way to improve the D which doesn't involve moving Garland. There is literally zero reason to move on from Garland. If one thinks he is too small for this game, then you haven't watched him play. I'd way sooner keep Garland at 5 than Boeser at 7.5 or Miller at some enormous figure.

• Like 1

Still think we should move Boeser and keep Garland. Garland is signed to a very friendly contract, plays bigger and has room to put up more points if given PP time he deserves. If that happened Garland could probably put up around 65 points a year and we’d get at least double what everybody is asking for in trades now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Still think we should move Boeser and keep Garland. Garland is signed to a very friendly contract, plays bigger and has room to put up more points if given PP time he deserves. If that happened Garland could probably put up around 65 points a year and we’d get at least double what everybody is asking for in trades now.

Ok.  A signed Boeser to LA    Roy, Kupari(C-r) + 2nd to Van.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

When I am not just spitting out proposals for the fun of it and being a little more serious, your proposal is the type I think about.

I do have a number of problems I have not resolved, when I think about it...............

#1. How do we improve to move into that top 8, which is where I think most cup champions come from? (I do not think this proposal puts us there).

#2. How do we continue to resign our veterans, such as Miller, Horvat, Pettersson and even Kusmenko, if he succeeds and is an actual top 6?

These are the questions I ask myself now, as I see our window, actually opening in 2 years. I mean even Roy is only 2 years away from needing resigning.

Any ways, this is a solid proposal, but this is what I struggle with...........cheers!

I think that Brock is one way to go... IF you compare him to Duchene (who also had a crap year before he was traded) their stats are almost the same, PPG wise anyways.   To me IF we could pull off a trade like that it would be a good start.   That said i have zero illusions a team is going to capsize as hard as OTT did lol.   The return of course would also be the cap space.    Strength down the middle is awesome to have - and agree with Bruce's comments "try and find five teams with better centers"  ... it's very tough to do.    That said we don't have the wingers to support them unless we are ok with Pearson/Garland and Podz somehow turns into Rantanen.  

It boggles my mind too.   But don't feel that this team as is - can contend in 2 years.   Myers will be gone or maybe back at half the price to be a middle bottom pairing which i'd be happy with but still just a patch.   We have to find our Toews ... loading up right now wouldn't work because we don't have the picks and pool to help with cap.   So medium long term, i do think we need to consider a re-set.   Miller and Brock out would help with that.    Need a young 3C and young RHD back ... Both guys that have the potential to move up as well.   Like a young Horvat and Bieksa basically.   

Im ok with just letting things go as is as well and using Miller for the purpose of playoffs.    Really curious to see how this team can do in the second season - we simply don't have much sample size in that area aside from the bubble - and those guys were so freaking young to accomplish what they did.   Now they should be better.    Podz is a wild card IMO still.   But would have to blow the doors off to help us at this point.  

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Yeah I could live with moving Boeser instead of Garland

Boeser has a horrid contract situation.  His value is a lot lower than Garland because of it.  

So do we make a Boeser trade to basically just clear his cap?  Or do we move Garland instead who can return a lot more?

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser has a horrid contract situation.  His value is a lot lower than Garland because of it.  

So do we make a Boeser trade to basically just clear his cap?  Or do we move Garland instead who can return a lot more?

now that the cup has been awarded, there is a short window for the team to elect arbitration with him. It would bring his contract number down into the 6's probably. 

Its hardball but it does make him more tradable. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/27/2022 at 3:25 AM, J.I.A.H.N said:

My pleasure. Thought it was a good proposal and had me thinking, which is what discussions are all about.

I think our improvements have to come primarily from the ongoing progressions of Pettersson, Hughes and Demko. Plus we need guys like Podz and Kuz stepping up. The addition of some grit and size with Paul, Deslauriers and Lazar will help come playoff time. And finally I do think adding a guy like Roy will really help Hughes' game.

It's hard to project an actual roster in 2 years from now, due to player turnover and whether or not new players/prospects turn into impact players. But let me have a bit of a go with the following assumptions:

1 - Let's say that we actually trade Boeser instead of Garland in my original proposal (seems to be a more popular move)

2 - Miller agrees to extend in VAN at $8.5m for 6 years and Horvat agrees to extend for $7m x 8

3 - Kuzmenko performs well and has chemistry with Horvat and Podz. We offer him $3.5m with term

4 - Pearson is traded in the 2023 off season for a pick

5 - Mayfield UFA is signed to $3.95m x 5 years

6 - Rathbone signed for $1.25m x 2 years, Schenn is extended for 2 years as a depth Dman at $850k

Our 2023/24 roster looks like this (with about $2m in cap space left over):

Miller (8.5) Pettersson Garland

Kuzmenko (3.5) Horvat (7.0) Podkolzin

Hoglander (1.25) Paul Deslauriers

Highmore Lammikko Lazar

(Lockwood)

Hughes Roy

OEL Mayfield (3.95)

Rathbone (1.25) Myers

(Burroughs Schenn)

Demko (Martin)

Then in the 2024 off season, the following assumptions (you start to see how hard it is to project this far out...):

1 - Extend Petey for $9.5m x 8, Podz for $4m x 3, Roy for $4.5m x 5, Martin $1m x 2

2 - Myers walks

3 - Deslauriers is getting too old so is not extended

4 - Make a trade with FLA...To VAN: Sam Bennett, To FLA: Hoglander + Karlsson + 2024 1st pick

Our 2024/25 roster looks like this (with almost no cap space left over):

Miller Pettersson Garland

Paul Bennett Klimovich

Highmore Lammikko Lazar

(league min #13 forward)

Hughes Roy

OEL Mayfield

Rathbone Schenn

(Burroughs + league min #8 Dman)

Demko (Martin)

I don't know if this is a cup contending lineup, but the issue is that it gets so hard to project forward...

• Cheers 1