The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HHOF Class of 2022: Daniel Alfredsson, Roberto Luongo, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Riikka Sallinen, Herb Carnegie

Rate this topic

No complaint about Alfredsson getting in but I think he's on the same level as or even a little inferior to some guys who have been waiting a decade or even two.  Fleury, Mogilny, Pierre Turgeon, Bernie Nicholls, etc.  I'm not sure why he bypasses them.

It's also a little odd to have Luongo in first ballot while having Mike Vernon and Tom Barrasso on the outside for at least 15 years.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

No complaint about Alfredsson getting in but I think he's on the same level as or even a little inferior to some guys who have been waiting a decade or even two.  Fleury, Mogilny, Pierre Turgeon, Bernie Nicholls, etc.  I'm not sure why he bypasses them.

It's also a little odd to have Luongo in first ballot while having Mike Vernon and Tom Barrasso on the outside for at least 15 years.

I feel like Alfredsson is really underrated because most of his career was with Ottawa. Dude was one of the best RW’s in the game for awhile. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

I feel like Alfredsson is really underrated because most of his career was with Ottawa. Dude was one of the best RW’s in the game for awhile. 

He was one of the best wingers in the game for a while but the same can be said for a bunch of players who aren't in...  Rene Robert, Rick Martin, Charlie Simmer, Dave Taylor, Tim Kerr, Theoren Fleury, Alexander Mogilny, Reggie Leach, Brian Propp, Keith Tkachuk etc.  I have plenty of respect for Alfredsson but I'm not sure I would personally pick him over any of those players.  Alfredsson was a 2nd team All Star once, 3rd in voting another time, 5th once, and never above 7th in any other season.

Most people have never heard of Tim Kerr now.  Three straight seasons top 3 in voting.  Charlie Simmer: 1st team all star twice.  Rick Martin: 1st or 2nd team all star 4 years in a row.  Reggie Leach: led the league in goals (61), led the league in playoff goals and set the record, Conn Smythe Trophy.  Tkachuk: 2nd team all star twice.

Fleury and Mogilny need no introduction.

And let's not forget Markus Naslund was a 1st team All Star three years in a row.  Alfredsson never achieved this once.  Let alone Naslund's Pearson / Lindsay Award as league MVP.  And top five in Hart Trophy voting three times.

Some of my listed players suffer from injuries or shorter careers with lower career scoring numbers.  But not Mogilny, Fleury, Taylor, Propp or Tkachuk.

Alfredsson was a great player.  I just think he's in a tier with some other guys who not only aren't in but don't even get discussed.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Congrats to all 3 of them... so pleased the debate of whether the Sedins could be hall of famers without a cup has now been put to bed.

What they did for Canucks, especially with the adversity they had to endure, was nothing short of amazing....

Sequin is still a dumbass...

A Cup is nowhere near a Hart or Art Ross Trophy.  Win either of those and you are almost 100% guaranteed to get into the Hall.  Even a Cup plus a Conn Smythe Trophy doesn't count for as much as a Hart or Art Ross.

I think these four guys all going in with no Cups is going to usher in a new era of Cups being a bonus feature, which is how it should be in a 32 team league where a player with a sixteen year career would thus have about a 50% chance of winning one Cup.

Anyway, Marcel Dionne getting in with zero playoff success in his entire career kind of set the stage for players not being dragged out of Hall of Fame consideration by weak teams.

• Cheers 1

Maybe I am reading into things too deep here, but things feel different around the franchise right now.

I'm pretty jaded as a Canucks fan of 30+ years, but I expected BB to move onto a new opportunity.  I fully expected Kuzmenko to sign elsewhere.  I thought the 3 Canucks would just miss the first ballot.  

It feels so crazy to come onto CDC and see that things are breaking our way.  

Congrats to Daniel, Herik and Lou.  This is a huge honor for them and the Franchise.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1