The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] DiPietro on the Block, Montreal has Enquired

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

His AHL stats are just ok.  He’s undersized for an NHL goalie and he’s been absolutely rocked in every appearance in the big show.  Goalies in general don’t get much of a return and he’d be acquired as an AHL depth move.  I wouldn’t expect much in the way of return. 

Well I'll be over here with my unreasonable hopes and dreams and you can be over there without them 

11 minutes ago, awalk said:

I actually think there's a chance he could go for higher based on the fact that he's been working under Ian Clark for the past few years.

Totally agree.  Dipietro is well thought of.  He was on that 

Gold medal team Canada at the World's in 2021.  

The Habs don’t have a young guy anywhere close to Dipietro.  They will pay a second rounder plus to get him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, tas said:

no way he returns a pick higher than was used on him. 3rd at best, likely later. 

Maybe the Cnds high 2nd from the Coilers?  Dipi's development should stand for something.  Afterall, it takes

years to develop a goalie.

Maybe they are packaging Dipi + Pearson for a player.  I'd add Hogs as well, if it meant acquiring Barron, but

I don't think Mon would let him go.

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Maybe the Cnds high 2nd from the Coilers?  Dipi's development should stand for something.  Afterall, it takes

years to develop a goalie.

Maybe they are packaging Dipi + Pearson for a player.  I'd add Hogs as well, if it meant acquiring Barron, but

I don't think Mon would let him go.

He’s been passed on the depth chart in Vancouver for a reason. He’s not that good. His development time means nothing if it shows thats he’s nothing more than an AHL backup.  

Montreal isn’t moving Barron for that.  He’s a big right shot d.  They targeted him in the Lehkonen trade and gave him some games once they acquired him.   They’re remaking their blue line by moving out Chiarot, Kulak, and possibly Petry. Barron going to be a big part of it going forward. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

From what I've read about Koskenvuo, he has the skills and size to become a very good goalie.  Just needs the

development time(19yrs). He will play for Harvard this season and will probably go for the 4yrs and then play for

Abby.

Hand-picked by Ian Clarke, so I think the kid has a great chance.  Clarke was working with him via

video last season.

Theissen is farther along (22yrs) but he doesn't appear to be progressing well after his 2nd college season.  I see

that he's backup to an undrafted player that is a year younger:(

Clarke knows his stuff, but getting a top quality goaltending prospect should be a priority sooner than later given how long they typically take to develop 

Doesn't have to be this year, but while Demko has a lot of top flight hockey left in him you've always gotta keep stocking the pipeline 

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Clarke knows his stuff, but getting a top quality goaltending prospect should be a priority sooner than later given how long they typically take to develop 

Doesn't have to be this year, but while Demko has a lot of top flight hockey left in him you've always gotta keep stocking the pipeline 

Absolutely.  Best case scenario is if Koskenvuo is ready to back up (hopefully) Demko in 6yrs.  To have another

quality tender coming along (a couple of years younger) would be good team management.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Absolutely.  Best case scenario is if Koskenvuo is ready to back up (hopefully) Demko in 6yrs.  To have another

quality tender coming along (a couple of years younger) would be good team management.

Oh def, we've had a good run of having quality goaltending since acquiring Luongo, it'd be nice to see that continue beyond Demko 

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

We lost Lidster, but he ended up making a pretty good career for himself after hockey…stand up comedian…one of the most beloved TV sitcoms in history all about nothing…

who knew that trading in a jersey for a sweater vest was so lucrative and empowering.

image.jpeg.2645395df0ae30597cfb8681e10632bc.jpeg

image.jpeg.d6cc6592f935c62daf0cd13cc871d010.jpeg

Comedy gold, and i never watched the show!  But did meet George in Maui looking at Jaws in a farmers pineapple field.  Minivan shows up, 5'11 Olive Oil gets out and a gaggle of kids and George goes out to the cliff edge hands on his hips big grin on his face.  Recorded him too lol.  VHS style.   

21 hours ago, qwijibo said:

His AHL stats are just ok.  He’s undersized for an NHL goalie and he’s been absolutely rocked in every appearance in the big show.  Goalies in general don’t get much of a return and he’d be acquired as an AHL depth move.  I wouldn’t expect much in the way of return. 

21 hours ago, awalk said:

Well I'll be over here with my unreasonable hopes and dreams and you can be over there without them 

I believe qwijibo is a habs fan first and Canucks somewhere after that. He's got hopes and dreams too. His is just that the Habs don't waste any decent assets on Dipietro. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah @JM_ mentioned this the other day and not something I was currently thinking of but he is entirely correct as are you. Demko I believe has a lot of life left and I'm 85% confident on him keeping form and re-signing with us but that succession plan and subsequent training time with Clarke is crucial. We need to target a goalie and plan his development accordingly and like you say sooner than later. I agree next year at the latest.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I believe qwijibo is a habs fan first and Canucks somewhere after that. He's got hopes and dreams too. His is just that the Habs don't waste any decent assets on Dipietro. ;)

It's the battle of the hopes and dreams! 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 9:20 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

Actually I thought of who it was.  Brent Johnson.

But the others you listed are all on point as well.  Yeah Vanbiesbrouck.  We lost Doug Lidster to do that.

That was because we wanted to keep Kay Whitmore and his sparking .890 sv%

31 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That was because we wanted to keep Kay Whitmore and his sparking .890 sv%

I think Lidster would have been the difference against the Rangers in 94.  He played well for the Rangers against us.  Obviously our backup goalie never came into play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think Lidster would have been the difference against the Rangers in 94.  He played well for the Rangers against us.  Obviously our backup goalie never came into play.

You could very well be right. He would have replaced Bryan Glynn who was a total liability for us throughout the playoffs.

I would be absolutely shocked if we got anything more than a 4th round pick. Those that say he’s worth a 3rd or 2nd round pick,  I’m sorry but GMs I wouldn’t be giving up assets like a 2nd or 3rd for an AHL goalie (that’s what he is right now) when they can easily get one in FA for peanuts. I really had hopes for MDP but he has fallen out of favour for this organization and he doesn’t have the stats in the AHL or NHL that would compel teams to trade a pick that high. 

Goalies don’t get very much value anyhow (Fleury did get a first this past trade deadline) but that is I believe the first time a goalie got this sort of return since Buffalo traded Miller to the Blues. Of course MDP is no MAF or Miller. 
Look at it this way, the rangers got a 2nd a 3rd and a 7th from the oilers for Cam Talbot. An established young goalie return. When we traded Eddie “the stork” Lack for a third and 7th he was already an established backup pushing for a starting job. That’s the return we got for a 1B goalie and people on here are saying that MDP is going to fetch us basically the same value? 

Tyler Motte got us a 4th and he is an established NHLer who will get paid in FA this off season (2-2.5 a year) so I have a hard time finding logic in acquiring a higher pick for not a backup, not a backup backup but our backup backup backup! Just trying simmer down expectations and not have fans with unreasonable misdirected disappointment towards this management group.

Well CDC if MDP gets us a third or more I’ll eat crow and whoever was claiming this, I owe you a coke.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Upvote 2