The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Mike Yeo, Trent Cull as assistant coaches; name Jeremy Colliton as Abbotsford head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Muttley said:

From what I could see, Trent Cull did a bang up job with the Abbotsford Canucks. He coached a team that certainly at times had big holes in the roster. 

He's been innovative and took the team further than most expected. I think he definitely deserves the promotion.

Cull doesn't seem to be a good teacher. Which fortunately BB is. I don't like the concept that either of these two could eventually be a Canucks head coach. 

Maybe in two years, Trotz will want to coach again, and Vancouver will hire him. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Cull doesn't seem to be a good teacher. Which fortunately BB is. I don't like the concept that either of these two could eventually be a Canucks head coach. 

Maybe in two years, Trotz will want to coach again, and Vancouver will hire him. 

I trust with all the experience in our new management team that they know who they want to steer the ship, it will still be the players deciding if they are doing a good job or not by how they perform on the ice

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Given the gender fluidity of the modern world panties don’t necessarily fit into a specific gender so not sure that can even be thought of as sexist. 

I'm only chiming in on this because I enjoy etymology, I don't have an opinion on the phrase either way.

Panties in a twist is a derivative of the British  idiom "knickers in a knot" which started in the late 60s. Panties in a twist was the American way of using this expression that was originally started in the 70s to refer to someone that was not acting masculine enough. The origins of the phrases do point towards its use being sexist since it's an insult towards someone who is seen to be acting in a feminine way.

Personally, that one doesn't itch me either way. But still a fun to know, I guess.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Shayster007 said:

I'm only chiming in on this because I enjoy etymology, I don't have an opinion on the phrase either way.

Panties in a twist is a derivative of the British  idiom "knickers in a knot" which started in the late 60s. Panties in a twist was the American way of using this expression that was originally started in the 70s to refer to someone that was not acting masculine enough. The origins of the phrases do point towards its use being sexist since it's an insult towards someone who is seen to be acting in a feminine way.

Personally, that one doesn't itch me either way. But still a fun to know, I guess.

Well who doesn’t enjoy some good etymology. Language is an interesting evolving thing. 

King on the pp still?

K

I dunno what this means long term but I don't like the Yeo connection and Cull/King are not inspiring at all.

But, if Boudreau wants to meh his way through the year and the management does indeed get rid of Miller Boeser and more, this is not a bad year to suffer under crappy coaching.  because without BB...this is what we have

Losing Shaw is a big deal.

Yeo - bleh (although didn't know he was on the Stanley Cup Pens team in 2009)

Cull - the new Weisbrod; gets a promotion for ...what? and he'll take over PK? 

Collition - horrible hawks coach (albeit on a bad team)...not sure what he'll bring

Coaching staff could have had Brunette (Jack Adams Finalist)... feels like Benning's moves

Edited by BureBurrito

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Well who doesn’t enjoy some good etymology. Language is an interesting evolving thing. 

It sure is. Personally I do find it important to try to keep up to date with how language changes over time. The way my Pop speaks is much different then the way I speak. He can say some incredibly rude or hurtful things, but he doesn't say them trying to be mean (the majority of the time...). It's just the way he speaks because it's how he spoke, and was spoken to, growing up. In a perfect world we adapt and change, but not everyone is capable of that and some simply don't care.

To me, it's worth taking the time to learn these things and try to make changes where applicable. If we still spoke like we did in the 60s without making changes, the world would be an incredibly different and even more uncomfortable place for any minority.

Edited by Shayster007

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I know there were some who were averse to the idea of Cull as a head coach. I wonder how they feel about him being an assistant?

It'll be great for Cull and Yeo to learn from Bruce imo.

Not surprised Shaw went back to work with Torts, he might have a good run there too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1