The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Good bridge deal, 1 or 2 years is a bit insulting but a 3 year deal is very fair and well priced, plus they get out of the QO. This management team have made safe, smart moves so far but you know a big trade is brewing which will define them. Glad it's (hopefully) not Brock though. I think he's going to break out next year and the following year. Expecting 30 goals from him next year.

Makes you think Garland or Miller are going to be the ones nabbing us that RD.

I think youre right. I agree likely both Miller and Garland our 2 forwards with the most tenacity to their games will be gone. I think Brock will finally score 30 if he doesn't this contract is a big oopsie. We will have to address the overall softness of our forward group in other ways. I'm not a fan of this deal at all but he's an absolute beauty and he's a Canuck so Ill be cheering for him all the way. 

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Bo’s contract will get done later this summer. I still think the next domino to fall is Miller at the draft. After that, I can see Bo’s contract being the next one signed. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think youre right. I agree likely both Miller and Garland our 2 forwards with the most tenacity to their games will be gone. I think Brock will finally score 30 if he doesn't this contract is a big oopsie. We will have to address the overall softness of our forward group in other ways. I'm not a fan of this deal at all but he's an absolute beauty and he's a Canuck so Ill be cheering for him all the way. 

Honestly I think Miller will be too hard to move so Garland will be the odd man out and hopefully enough to land us someone like Marino straight up.

Brock has a big frame and I remember in the playoff bubble years ago he did throw himself around, if we do make the playoffs I hope he plays to his size again. Obviously during the regular season last year he was a bit of a floater but I think he's got a lot to prove next season, it's going to be emotional for him too, so if the Canucks finally make the playoffs I hope Bruce engages the forwards to all hit and use their size because they've got plenty of it in the top 6 (Miller, Bo and Brock are all heavy guys, they just don't show it in the regular season).

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Wonder why they never tried Quinn on the right side. If anyone could do it and flourish it would be Hughes. I think anyway 

From "Vancouver is Awesome" .....

When Hughes was drafted, he made it clear the he felt he could play both sides equally well.

“I feel just as comfortable on the right as I do on the left,” said Hughes. “There’s positives and negatives to both. If I’m a rightie on the blue line, I can just walk in on my forehand. if I’m a leftie, I have to skate over. I don’t know if I explained that the best, but trust me, there’s positives and negatives to both.”

The challenges a defenceman faces on his off side are significant and have an impact on every aspect of the game. It results in a defenceman having to take a puck off the boards on their backhand both in the defensive zone and offensive zone, as well as taking D-to-D passes on the backhand more often, which is a little more difficult than on the forehand.

It can also be more difficult to defend the rush on the off side. Defencemen are forced to use just one hand on their stick to keep opposing forwards to the outside, which results in less control and strength on the stick. Defencemen used to playing their strong side can also have skating issues when played on their off side, as they learn to pivot and turn certain ways that become problematic on the opposite side.

On the other hand, there are positives, particularly in the offensive zone, as mentioned by Hughes. Playing on the off side can make it easier to step up in the offensive zone for scoring chances, as it’s easier to get a shot away from your off side rather than shooting across your body on your strong side. It also opens up more opportunities for one-timers.

Hughes has the skill to handle the puck on his backhand, the skating to close gaps and pivot cleanly, and the hockey sense to make the right reads no matter what side he plays. It just might work. That said, Hughes rarely played on the right side in college, so there’s little evidence to go on that he can handle the role.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Honestly I think Miller will be too hard to move so Garland will be the odd man out and hopefully enough to land us someone like Marino straight up.

Brock has a big frame and I remember in the playoff bubble years ago he did throw himself around, if we do make the playoffs I hope he plays to his size again. Obviously during the regular season last year he was a bit of a floater but I think he's got a lot to prove next season, it's going to be emotional for him too, so if the Canucks finally make the playoffs I hope Bruce engages the forwards to all hit and use their size because they've got plenty of it in the top 6 (Miller, Bo and Brock are all heavy guys, they just don't show it in the regular season).

Ya man. I'd love to see it. I desperately want to jump back on the flows bandwagon but his play has to earn it. I'm done making excuses legitimate or not for his disinterested play. Nothing would make me happier than to see him running around bangin and creating opportunities for his team mates instead of doing laps hoping the puck ends up on his stick. I wouldn't cry foul if he only put up 20 but played with intensity.

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And remodeled the bathroom with a touch of Hamhuis...

Really screwed everyone with his insurance policy ... saving money early but making it impossible to get out of later and of course all that savings was used to build a spare room

for Booth and Ballard (instead of Mitchell lol and some window dressings to hide the bars in the windows)...    Luongo's room, man he loved it for awhile ... but those bars which he picked out too (part of the insurance policy) can just see his sullen face poking out between them when  everyone starting hanging out in Schnieders room more.   At least his room is finally getting sub-letted after being vacant for, what is it now?  4 years?   Got hit hard for not building it to code, finally up to code and gets to he used again.   Bet it smells for awhile yet in there too. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Really screwed everyone with his insurance policy ... saving money early but making it impossible to get out of later and of course all that savings was used to build a spare room

for Booth and Ballard (instead of Mitchell lol and some window dressings to hide the bars in the windows)...    Luongo's room, man he loved it for awhile ... but those bars which he picked out too (part of the insurance policy) can just see his sullen face poking out between them when  everyone starting hanging out in Schnieders room more.   At least his room is finally getting sub-letted after being vacant for, what is it now?  4 years?   Got hit hard for not building it to code, finally up to code and gets to he used again.   Bet it smells for awhile yet in there too. 

Time to bring in the excavation company and tear that thing down.  I want a brand new house with an outdoor swimming pool and a man cave in the basement...   :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Brock had 9 goals 5v5 last year. Tanner Pearson had 11 5v5 goals playing harder mins with worse linemates. Tell me again all about Brocks elite goal scoring.  Tanner (granite hands) Pearson could have scored 30 with Brocks deployment. 

He had a bad year last year, but his career as a whole even through injuries hrs been pretty consistent.  

@Pure961089 I agree. You'll get no argument from me there. It's kinda part n parcel hand and hand with with how I feel all this potential stuff coulda woulda. It's fair to judge him on his body of work doesn't scream $6.65m player to me. He doesn't do enough without the puck. Now that we have him signed for 3 years I really hope he puts in the work to get better in the areas of the game where he's invisible. I really want to see him succeed. I really want the Canuck's to win a cup. Nothing would make me happier than to eat crow on Brock. 

Edited by hammertime

11 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

So your banking on unproven Russian and boeser score 40 goals for us be good get ready for basement if he doesn’t free up cap for improvements were in biiiiig trouble 

I would easily bet Boeser & Kuzmenko combine for 40 goals...

It would be a safer bet than Miller gets 95 + points again?  (Particularly for us :P ) 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Burkie was an awesome GM. 

Gillis did a good job bringing in some great support for those guys.

But it was Burkie's team.

And Nonis's too...bringing in Schneider plus one of the best drafts in club history , no second rounder that had already been traded - then Edler (last 3rd rounder ... 2004 wow we've had make an impact),  Brown who played quite a few games with us and Hansen    Plus of course he traded for Luongo.   Might have been some others later but those guys also were a key part in Gillis's team.   Nonis had a raw deal having to wait until Burke's cap ran out, was replaced and the hero Gillis went out and offered Sundin 20 million over two years!   Crazy really.    Gillis was great at cap management and keeping Nonis and Burke's team together.   And making it a pro org from top to bottom...all 3 deserve credit for that team.    But yes Burke and Nonis assembled it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1