The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins re-sign Kris Letang

35 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

6 per is better than the 8-9 reported ask. Again, don’t listen to this stupid sports media crap. They are full of it…

fun wtf GIF by Mauro Gatti

So am i.   It's ok.   The gift that keeps on giving!   What makes me happy is how amazing Friedman has done with his career.   When he was cutting his teeth in the WCE era circuit, he bugged me so bad with how little space he gave the players - kept leaning in like we wanted to french them or something.   Now this guy is the number one insider, can grow one heck of a crAzy ass beard (i like him better for it too lol) - but still once a week, you just know this guys sitting on the toilet in the morning and at night with a notepad wondering what sort of sh!t he's going to add too his 31 (it should he 32 now - poor Seattle!  or should i say lucky us?!!) things he's going to say that some just hang on as thread worthy news each and every week.  

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Ya, it’s a cheap shot. It’s still fishy and way too convenient. I don’t doubt he had issues, but I don’t trust a thing that came out of that Blackhawks team. 

Has nothing to do with the Hawks, was an article about what Hossa was actually going through and lives with. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Don't forget Lidstrom.  Who the media gifted one more Norris to tie Harvey at 40 "just because" ... even though his play had slipped, has any other defenseman won a Norris and being a minus player?   Nope.   "Perfect Human" who couldn't beat the guys in their mid to late 30's before him in his 20's...Ugh.   At least people know what a great defenseman looks like that watched him play.   Yes i saw the after 40 part but this is a drum i won't ever stop beating.    Lidstrom gets way too much love from anyone younger then 45.   Chelios ... that guy was an animal.   What he did to keep up with guys half his age was incredible.   I especially loved watching a 41 year Gary Roberts beat the tar out of a 230lb Ben Eager as well.  People who weren't around in the 80's-90's have no idea  how talented and tough that era was.   Roberts was a tough nut back then too but not a top power forward either.    League used to have 20-30 guys just like him. 

Edit: Roast away.   But to me Lidstrom was the 2000's Larry Murphy.   Just didn't have the same level of competition, they all aged out not Neidermayer and Pronger who also did nothing in the 90's to earn anything.  Gonchar lol.   He should never enter the HHOF.   Phaneuf!   Wow awesome.   Rafalski ...it was an absolute graveyard of quality D's.  

Respect your opinion but completely disagree on Lidstrom guy was a different kind of beast. And every player that has played against him has said he was damn near impossible to get around even without having to hit you. Getzlaf spoke on chiclets about how you couldn’t even chip a puck by him, he would knock it down and send it out. Lidstrom is out of this world elite. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2022 at 9:45 AM, Coconuts said:

Yeah, this is much different than how it'd be for most teams. This core won three cups, and after Crosby, Letang, ect are gone they're likely in for a lengthy rebuild.

They've nothing to lose by trying to milk what they can from this group.

Yup, squeeze every last drop out of Crosby and Co....and why not.

This is why I still feel they're one of the more likely Miller destinations. Especially with Malkin likely leaving.

On 7/7/2022 at 6:40 PM, EternalCanuckFan said:

Letang had a good year but wow, this contract takes him to 41-years old.  $6.1M AAV already seems uncertain if he regresses significantly next year, but for 5 more years after that?

I get that some guys stay productive well into their late 30s.  I guess the Penguins are confident Letang is one of those guys.

I’ll bet any of the negative Miller fans here that Miller would also be having good seasons in his later age. 

On 7/8/2022 at 3:18 AM, Googlie said:

I recall a couple of defencemen who were still contributing after they turned 40 ...Chelios and Chara.  Both were in great shape throughout their careers, as is Letang.

Good move by the Pens

Arguably the second best defensman of all time played until 42.

At 41 he put up 62 points in 82 games.

Similar body types. 

He is not quite a Lidstrom however as you note he keeps himself fit and shows that drive to succeed. 

Cap will have gone up in bit in three years,first half is a bargain, second half when cap goes up again paying for mentoring/ locker room and whatever he can give them on the ice is a bonus.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup, squeeze every last drop out of Crosby and Co....and why not.

This is why I still feel they're one of the more likely Miller destinations. Especially with Malkin likely leaving.

I think there is good chemistry between Burkie and JR and lots of cross-connections between the two teams.

If we retain on Miller, Crosby might get another Cup and that chance means the Canucks should get great compensation.

• Cheers 1