The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins re-sign Kris Letang

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, this is much different than how it'd be for most teams. This core won three cups, and after Crosby, Letang, ect are gone they're likely in for a lengthy rebuild.

They've nothing to lose by trying to milk what they can from this group.

Smart going to longer deal to get lower cap hit, then taking a couple overpaid season during rebuild. Plus he could still be good til 40 or have career ending injury.  

Just now, Caboose said:

This guy can play 25 minutes a night and not even sweat. I don't really have any concerns about his longevity, one of the best pure athletes in the league.

I wouldn’t be as confident for the back half of the deal but it’s possible I guess 

he’s had a great career all things considered though 

8 minutes ago, Wanless said:

I get the impression that there is a divide in the thinking in GMs in the youth vs age debate.

but signings like this give me comfort if the canucks do keep Miller.

However, if the penguins dont find a second line centre, this deal is just taking up cap for years

Probably, but when you've still got an effective Crosby leading your roster and your core has won three Stanley Cups since 2009 you can afford to be like "&^@# it, let's do as much damage as we can while we've still got this core". 

Pens are likely looking at a rebuild once Crosby and Letang retire anyway.

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Smart going to longer deal to get lower cap hit, then taking a couple overpaid season during rebuild. Plus he could still be good til 40 or have career ending injury.  

Yeah, once Crosby's wound down I don't think anyone will really care. Pens fans have been spoiled his entire career, I don't think they fuss about this contract too much regardless of how it ages. 

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I guess 6M is a bargain cap hit for a guy who just put up 68 points, he's somehow still not showing signs of slowing down just like Crosby and Malkin so who knows how this new offensive NHL age will treat older guys.

I see him playing until maybe 37-38 and then retiring, but these guys won a couple of Cups so rightly deserve big fat pay outs like this.

NO!  Miller will regress into a 20pt forward within 3 years!!!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah LTIR is gonna save the Penguins at the end of this contract. Sucks Luongo was the only guy to say no to LTIR and just outright retire. Such a dumb rule.

Why would Luongo go on LTIR when his salary was only $1 million for the final 2 years of his contract?  He wanted to move on with his life.  Shea Weber may do the same thing.  His last couple of years are also only $1 million in terms of salary...

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probably, but when you've still got an effective Crosby leading your roster and your core has won three Stanley Cups since 2009 you can afford to be like "&^@# it, let's do as much damage as we can while we've still got this core". 

Pens are likely looking at a rebuild once Crosby and Letang retire anyway.

Yeah, once Crosby's wound down I don't think anyone will really care. Pens fans have been spoiled his entire career, I don't think they fuss about this contract too much regardless of how it ages. 

Absolutely there is that aspect

and Letang is still producing

It also seems like they always find a way to make things work

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

As a team that has won their cups and that will likely go full rebuild after Crosby era, they can afford to take this risk imo. 

100% would do this in the Pens shoes, rare case I agree with this kinda term at this age. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

October 2 - 2025 BREAKING NEWS - Kris Letang forced into retirement due to rare skin condition making him allergic to hockey equipment.

I know everyone beats this dead horse, but you should read what Hossa was going through, he couldn’t even play with his kids and just wearing a regular shirt was agony. This isn’t hidden news if you do a 10 second google search you can see he legitimately had a serious issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I recall a couple of defencemen who were still contributing after they turned 40 ...Chelios and Chara.  Both were in great shape throughout their careers, as is Letang.

Good move by the Pens

• Cheers 1