The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

4 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

It almost seems like the most predictable thing ever that Allvin’s first pick was a Swede. Not saying he wasn’t the BPA….but….

But did they rank him higher because he was Swedish? I mean if Gradin was pushing hard for him that’s one thing. But his first two picks being Swedes makes me think Allvin ranked them higher because of their nationality.

And was he actually the consensus BPA? Or do they just say that after to try and project unity among the scouts and GMs?

Let’s not forget Allvin was a European scout for the Canadiens and Pens. In that time he had a horrible track record of picks. I’m not so confident that our drafting isn’t going to suck under this regime.

• RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Let's maybe give the kid some time before writing him off completely. It's only been 6 months since his draft. 

Anyone writing the kid off at this point is just plain dumb.

But I don’t think its out of line to say he’s been a disappointment since he was drafted.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Officially a bust. He looks terrible at every single level.

At least Juolevi looked decent at the World Juniors as well as the CHL.

18 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Skimming through these pages, I haven't seen anybody say that he's a bust, although maybe you could find one or two instances with a more detailed 'skim' (and that doesn't include saying he's been a "bustaroo") :lol: What people are saying is that it's concerning how poorly he has played since being drafted, considering how highly-rated he was at the draft.  That's just stating fact.  And to get defensive about someone saying this means that you are being overly sensitive and probably wearing rose coloured glasses --- which is another fact!-_-

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

My question is would Allvin have taken him if he wasn’t Swedish?

We don’t need to be taking players because of their nationality, and I’m not convinced Allvin didn’t rank him higher because he’s Swedish.

We weren’t gonna hit another home run with another Pettersson selection. Not that we need another player like Pettersson anyways. We need to be rounding out our team with players with different skill sets. Not everyone can be a sniper we need playmakers. We also need big bodied guys that can dig in the corners and make plays.

I think this kid has talent, but I do feel like we are spending too many resources on Sweden right now. We need to be exploring players from all countries.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Skimming through these pages, I haven't seen anybody say that he's a bust, although maybe you could find one or two instances with a more detailed 'skim' (and that doesn't include saying he's been a "bustaroo") :lol: What people are saying is that it's concerning how poorly he has played since being drafted, considering how highly-rated he was at the draft.  That's just stating fact.  And to get defensive about someone saying this means that you are being overly sensitive and probably wearing rose coloured glasses --- which is another fact!-_-

BUST :bigblush:

All you negative poster NHL draft guide 2022 had him a #11 guy????? The kid just turned 18 and  has injuries this half of the season....

Get a life and stop this garbage 18 years old and your predicting his future...Pathetic posters with negative comments..

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

I wouldn't argue that Lekkerimaki wasn't highly ranked.  What I would point out though, is that Kemmel was usually ranked higher (including in 4/6 of the above rankings).  When Allvin had the chance to still grab Kemmel at #15, why did he ever choose Lekkerimaki?  My feeling at the time was that it was simply because Lekkerimaki is the Swede.  I would hope this wasn't the case, but I can't see any other good reason why he would project Lekkerimaki to be a better player than Kemmel in the long-run.  Certainly this hasn't been the case to this point in time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

:shock: Yes he was Alf but don't hold that against the league. 

Just so long as we don’t have a GM who overrules the years of hard work put in by our scouts to pick “his guy” (who he watched for one tournament) then it’s fine. :frantic:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

But did they rank him higher because he was Swedish? I mean if Gradin was pushing hard for him that’s one thing. But his first two picks being Swedes makes me think Allvin ranked them higher because of their nationality.

And was he actually the consensus BPA? Or do they just say that after to try and project unity among the scouts and GMs?

Let’s not forget Allvin was a European scout for the Canadiens and Pens. In that time he had a horrible track record of picks. I’m not so confident that our drafting isn’t going to suck under this regime.

In the clips from the draft, PA was conferring with the other AGMs and scouts and asked them if they were all on the same page, i.e. that Lekkerimaki was the group's choice.

He also said you could get (I forget what it was exactly, but something like) 2nd and 3rd line players by many different means, but you have to use the draft to get great talent.

I am sure that nationality did not play a role in these consensus decisions.

We do have good connections with Sweden and do get very good info on Swedish players, but I think this Swedish-Centric idea is misplaced.

PA went BPA with our 1st and, even though he is Swedish, took a big, strong, good-skating defenseman with his pick in the 3rd round (EPv2.0), which is more for a position of need.

I think Allvin and His Big Band of Chipmunks did very well at the 2022 draft regardless of your opinion of his prior drafts with the Habs and Pens.

Edited by Goal:thecup