The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Pagnotta: Mackenzie Weegar trade possible

I could see Klinger being a good fit in FLA on the PP2 where Weegar would normally fit aside from Ekblad on PP1, but he would also provide a similar role as a PP1 should AE get hurt again. It sounds to me like FLA is treating Weegar much like we are with Millsy knowing that their value continues to rise with a year left under contract, but wanting to get assets back instead of letting them walk for free. I would be shocked if they took Myers (even with retention) in lieu of Weegar unless, they want contract security on D which Myers gives them. Having Ekblad, Klinger, Myers and Forsling in your top-4 does not suck at all.  

I have been very very high on Weegar for a few years now. IMO, he's a #1 D on the vast majority of teams. He doesn't score a billion points, but he's extremely solid defensively on top of getting 40+ points. He's in the "do everything well and nothing poorly" mold.

That said, I think Florida realizes how good he is (He was 8th in Norris voting in 2020-21 and 14th this past year) and will be very expensive in a trade. Honestly, I think his value is about dead even with Miller, but maybe a smidge less. Something like this would be fair I think:

To Van:

Weegar

2023 3rd

To Fla:

Miller

That said, I'm not sure if they can re-sign Miller, so it may not fil their bill. Regardless, I think fans should be aware of just how valuable Weegar is. We're not talking about a 2nd pairing guy here--he's a bonafide top pairing guy who can play very heavy minutes and do anything.

Additionally, because he's so good and has only one year left, he will probably be looking for a massive raise on his next contract, in the neighbourhood of $7.5M+ IMO, so this doesn't avoid a big contract coming up, it just transfers the issue from Miller to defense (if we were to move Miller for Weegar, which I'm not sure is what FLA wants).

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Friedman has been saying that too.  Weegar is also from Ottawa.

Ah thanks for confirming my thoughts. I didn’t see Friedman say that. If that’s the case I don’t see us being able to offer a better trade. And chabot has voiced his need for help now. High chance to resign too probably.

im not even going to think about us trading for him just can’t see it being a fit. 

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He would be such a good fit for Hughes. Man I can only wish 

Florida is soft up front.  Miller + Garland for Weegar + Bennett.  (Florida for sure would prefer to dumperoo Rhino on us but yuk go him.  

We get a partner for Hughes and a 3C.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Ah thanks for confirming my thoughts. I didn’t see Friedman say that. If that’s the case I don’t see us being able to offer a better trade. And chabot has voiced his need for help now. High chance to resign too probably.

im not even going to think about us trading for him just can’t see it being a fit. 

There's been no indication that they are interested in Miller.  Seravalli on his podcast says they are far less teams interested in Miller than initially thought - says 'significant interest but only from a few teams'.  Don't see Florida being one of them and really can't see them parting with Lundell.  They ran into a hot goalie and Brunette failed to adjust - they now have a more experienced coach in Maurice.  Weegar could be on the move because they can't extend him in a year - Miller will likely be even more expensive so it doesn't add up.  

Here's Friedman's written version on Weegar - says picks prospects as return as the objective is to clear cap space:

No one thinks Ottawa is finished. In fact, we’re all waiting for another move now that Matt Murray is a Maple Leaf. One potential target: Florida’s MacKenzie Weegar. It is expected the Panthers will get an extension done with Jonathan Huberdeau, and therefore may not have the room to do similar with Weegar. Florida’s been asked about him, and the Senators are able to do the kind of sparkly picks and prospects package to get it done. This, of course, would allow the Panthers flexibility to do some other things. (Florida and Ottawa are also believed to be competing for Claude Giroux, with Carolina among those peering over their shoulders.)

Edited by mll

5 minutes ago, mll said:

There's been no indication that they are interested in Miller.  Seravalli on his podcast says they are far less teams interested in Miller than initially thought - says 'significant interest but only from a few teams'.  Don't see Florida being one of them and really can't see them parting with Lundell.  They ran into a hot goalie and Brunette failed to adjust - they now have a more experienced coach in Maurice.  Weegar could be on the move because they can't extend him in a year - Miller will likely be even more expensive so it doesn't add up.  

But they are losing Giroux tmrw right ? I wonder if something could be done around Miller and Weegar. 

Especially because of Miller’s hit (5M) they could make another real push…

If they wanted to, it gives them the year to figure out their cap situation.

Edited by Johnny Torts
  • Like 1

Just now, Johnny Torts said:

But they are losing Giroux tmrw right ? I wonder if something could be done around Miller and Weegar. 

Especially because of Miller’s hit (5M) they could make another real push…

There's really been no indication that they are interested in Miller.  Added the Friedman bit on Weegar to that post - he also talked about it on his podcast.  Picks and prospects the targeted return as they are looking to clear cap.  They would like to retain Marchment, Giroux.  

Just now, mll said:

There's really been no indication that they are interested in Miller.  Added the Friedman bit on Weegar to that post - he also talked about it on his podcast.  Picks and prospects the targeted return as they are looking to clear cap.  They would like to retain Marchment, Giroux.  

Isn’t Giroux like 90% done to OTT?

&^@# it let’s trade our 1st and not suck next year. 

4 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Isn’t Giroux like 90% done to OTT?

&^@# it let’s trade our 1st and not suck next year. 

Sounds like his preference is to stay in Florida but they might not have the cap space.  Ottawa might be the fall-back plan.