The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

Can't believe that people are still clamoring about lyubushkin. The guy is a poor man's luke schenn who is getting paid 2.75 million to play 11 minutes a night in Buffalo. 

As for PA signing Mikheyev I think his plan was to take the forward and then trade a forward for a defenseman seeing as there really wasn't a RHD fit on the open market. He obviously painted himself into a corner and here we are.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Can't believe that people are still clamoring about lyubushkin. The guy is a poor man's luke schenn who is getting paid 2.75 million to play 11 minutes a night in Buffalo. 

As for PA signing Mikheyev I think his plan was to take the forward and then trade a forward for a defenseman seeing as there really wasn't a RHD fit on the open market. He obviously painted himself into a corner and here we are.

Ya, by bringing in Kuzmenko and Mikheyev the plan was clearly to trade one of Garland/Boeser/Hoglander/Pearson for a RHD. In hindsight that didn't work out as it seems cap space was probably the #1 currency this past off season. 

Ultimately we probably would have been better off not signing Mikheyev and then making a trade like Rathbone + a 2nd for John Marino. Can't turn back time though so hopefully Mikheyev becomes a solid 2nd line winger for us and we still find a way to trade one of our other wingers for RHD help.

6 hours ago, coryberg said:

How dare a Canucks GM TRY to improve the RHD position on the team eh...wingers are a dime a dozen, hence why we haven't moved one for a supposed top 4 RHD...cause no good GM makes that kind of deal

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 1:54 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bringing it back to this signing by management, I never understood why we went out and got another winger for around 5M - especially when we have acquired Garland, and then got Kuzmenko for free.

Meanwhile, no replacements on defence, and that's not to say there were options out there:

- Chariot signed with Detroit for 4.7M, 4 yrs. Seemed risky but he's looked like a stud so far.

- Leddy signed for 4yrs, 4M. Bit much for a veteran but again, he's a solid top-4 defenceman vet.

- Zadorov for under 4M is a steal but he probably wanted to stay with Calgary, but did some fishing around first...

- Kulak and Rutta sign for 2.7M, couple of years. Again, older vets playing around 15-18 minutes a night.

- Lybushkin, the young big RD Russian signs for 2.7M, sure he's just a bottom pairing guy.

I know it seems stupid throwing 3-4M into a veteran, older defenceman, but not when you've got Stillman at 5D playing under 10 minutes a night, Hughes playing 28 minutes a night destroying himself out there and our depth defence in shambles. I would happily take a guy like Chariot for 5M or Leddy for 4M and just move someone to the right side, at least then we have enough quality in the defence.

Instead we've got about 4-6 bottom pairing guys/AHLers cycling through, putting far too much strain on the top of our defence, and for what cost? Another 5M winger.

Huge miss by Canucks management. 

We look like the Oilers of old... But without Mcdavid... 

I think they were banking on a bounceback year  for some guys like OEL and Myers / continuation of 2nd half of last season along with a healthy Poolman. 

I gotta admit, I gave full support of this team as well. 

Has anyone reran the numbers as to what our record would look like with a decent PK (80%) and decent goaltending (. 920 save percentage) 

I feel like we would be a playoff team despite all our glaring holes on defence.. 

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Huge miss by Canucks management. 

We look like the Oilers of old... But without Mcdavid... 

I think they were banking on a bounceback year  for some guys like OEL and Myers / continuation of 2nd half of last season along with a healthy Poolman. 

I gotta admit, I gave full support of this team as well. 

Has anyone reran the numbers as to what our record would look like with a decent PK (80%) and decent goaltending (. 920 save percentage) 

I feel like we would be a playoff team despite all our glaring holes on defence.. 

I honestly think if we had an average PK, say middle of the table, and Demko played like last year we'd be 2nd in the division.

• There it is 1

32 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I honestly think if we had an average PK, say middle of the table, and Demko played like last year we'd be 2nd in the division.

So if we were a much better team we would be higher in the standings… yep

If you have to rely on a Vezina calibre performance every night to not be 27th in the league… your team isn’t very good.  Demko was right at the top of the league in expected save percentage last season.  If you broke it down last year, if he was just average, the team would have been in a bottom five lottery spot.

• There it is 2

I didn’t mind this signing at the time and I still don’t. However I was expecting/hoping garland pearson or another forward would be moved out. 
Mik brings speed and size two things we need so he addresses some needs and he fits the age group. 

teams a mess this season seems like we’re stuck between transition to the new management and indecision on where were going.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

So if we were a much better team we would be higher in the standings… yep

If you have to rely on a Vezina calibre performance every night to not be 27th in the league… your team isn’t very good.  Demko was right at the top of the league in expected save percentage last season.  If you broke it down last year, if he was just average, the team would have been in a bottom five lottery spot.

Which is exactly what JR has been saying since he got here.  Great goalie, but team needs restructuring.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Which is exactly what JR has been saying since he got here.  Great goalie, but team needs restructuring.

No, he says the team needs to play with more structure so they don’t have to rely on the goaltender… that isn’t the same thing as restructuring.

The team needs to be completely changed

On 10/21/2022 at 12:54 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bringing it back to this signing by management, I never understood why we went out and got another winger for around 5M - especially when we have acquired Garland, and then got Kuzmenko for free.

Meanwhile, no replacements on defence, and that's not to say there were options out there:

- Chariot signed with Detroit for 4.7M, 4 yrs. Seemed risky but he's looked like a stud so far.

- Leddy signed for 4yrs, 4M. Bit much for a veteran but again, he's a solid top-4 defenceman vet.

- Zadorov for under 4M is a steal but he probably wanted to stay with Calgary, but did some fishing around first...

- Kulak and Rutta sign for 2.7M, couple of years. Again, older vets playing around 15-18 minutes a night.

- Lybushkin, the young big RD Russian signs for 2.7M, sure he's just a bottom pairing guy.

I know it seems stupid throwing 3-4M into a veteran, older defenceman, but not when you've got Stillman at 5D playing under 10 minutes a night, Hughes playing 28 minutes a night destroying himself out there and our depth defence in shambles. I would happily take a guy like Chariot for 5M or Leddy for 4M and just move someone to the right side, at least then we have enough quality in the defence.

Instead we've got about 4-6 bottom pairing guys/AHLers cycling through, putting far too much strain on the top of our defence, and for what cost? Another 5M winger.

Because mikehyev was connect to us getting Kuzmenko.

they couldn’t upgrade our D so they added a forward that adds:

size, SPEED, and pking ability who can be a part of the core to compete for their planned timeline.

he’s also been one of our best forwards and had an injury to start the year.

I think mikehyev is an awesome add and is only going to get better. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Provost said:

No, he says the team needs to play with more structure so they don’t have to rely on the goaltender… that isn’t the same thing as restructuring.

The team needs to be completely changed

Feels that way. Need to strip it down to a certain point and really build a winning culture 

• Cheers 1