The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

10 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Love the player, question the contract. 

Mikheyev is a forechecking monster and an absolute speed demon who is not afraid to get physical. I think he would be a great fit as Pettersson's winger but his utility allows him to play a 3rd line checking role effectively as well. Really, he's the type of player who plays a simple, hard game and really could play anywhere with us. He was used pretty much exclusively on a matchup 3rd line in Toronto this past year and excelled. In the Playoffs he was great, pushing play into Tampa territory and being a nightmare for their defensemen while being responsible defensively. I think Mikheyev is Podkolzin with a higher RPM but less awareness, a great utility player. Mikheyev, Podkolzin and Kuzmenko now represent Russia on the Canucks after Podkolzin was isolated last year. 

The contract in isolation makes sense considering Mikheyev is coming off of a 21 goal, 32 point season in 53 games (a 32 goal, 49 point pace over 82 games) with 4 points in 7 Playoff games, but the Canucks have to be looking at another move. We already had enough top-9 wingers before this signing, so something has to give. Plus we need a 3C unless the team is running Dickinson in that spot next year, which would not be ideal. If we move out one of Pearson or Dickinson then the cap works out, but with no improvements on defense. The added area of concern is that Mikheyev has consistently had health problems, missing considerable time in two out of his three NHL seasons. We need to see the effect that this contract has on the overall team as a result of the cap. 

Like I said, Beagle was making $3 million per, Poolman $2.5 per, Dickinson $2.65, Pearson $3.25. Putting it into perspective I have no problem with it, it's right in line (actually under) what reports said were his price. Young, fast, kills penalties, super responsible defensively and coming off a career year - it's about right.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Mikheyev is a forechecking monster and an absolute speed demon who is not afraid to get physical. I think he would be a great fit as Pettersson's winger but his utility allows him to play a 3rd line checking role effectively as well. Really, he's the type of player who plays a simple, hard game and really could play anywhere with us. He was used pretty much exclusively on a matchup 3rd line in Toronto this past year and excelled. In the Playoffs he was great, pushing play into Tampa territory and being a nightmare for their defensemen while being responsible defensively. I think Mikheyev is Podkolzin with a higher RPM but less awareness, a great utility player. Mikheyev, Podkolzin and Kuzmenko now represent Russia on the Canucks after Podkolzin was isolated last year. 

The contract in isolation makes sense considering Mikheyev is coming off of a 21 goal, 32 point season in 53 games (a 32 goal, 49 point pace over 82 games) with 4 points in 7 Playoff games, but the Canucks have to be looking at another move. We already had enough top-9 wingers before this signing, so something has to give. Plus we need a 3C unless the team is running Dickinson in that spot next year, which would not be ideal. If we move out one of Pearson or Dickinson then the cap works out, but with no improvements on defense. The added area of concern is that Mikheyev has consistently had health problems, missing considerable time in two out of his three NHL seasons. We need to see the effect that this contract has on the overall team as a result of the cap. 

Well, you just described everything we need in our forward group.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is my biggest worry for Ilya,

Can he stay healthy the way he plays.

I really hope so, because if he can we could have a 25-30 Goal 50-60pt Guy who delivers a lot of intangibles to our team winning and really help his line mates.

• Cheers 1

Just now, The.Burrowers said:

for someone who was on pace for 32 goals last season (extrapolated data, i know)...there sure seem to be a lot of posters and radio pundits alike harping on him offering 'virtually zero' offensive upside.

He scored at about same rate as Boeser. 

4 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Like I said, Beagle was making $3 million per, Poolman $2.5 per, Dickinson $2.65, Pearson $3.25. Putting it into perspective I have no problem with it, it's right in line (actually under) what reports said were his price. Young, fast, kills penalties, super responsible defensively and coming off a career year - it's about right.

Those are not the contracts we should be using as organizational benchmarks, those are the contracts we should be looking to get rid of because too many of them bring down the team. 

2 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

for someone who was on pace for 32 goals last season (extrapolated data, i know)...there sure seem to be a lot of posters and radio pundits alike harping on him offering 'virtually zero' offensive upside.

he was top-30 in goals per 60 mins played

played with two mediocre players in Kampf and Engvall, and was the play driver on his own line

pundits are haters, Mikheyev gonna hit 35 goals/60-65 points this year playing with Petey

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm scared about this deal tbh, the kid struggles with staying healthy.

Could be a nice gamble, but a guy whose career year was 32 points last year, 4.75 seems steep.

Ya it is definitely scary Podz Horvat mikeyhev would hate play that line.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kenny Blankenship said:

Don’t know too much other than he’s got speed to burn, could he be our Russian Zack Hyman? Nice to see a bit of size. 

Actually not a bad comp. Last year he paced higher for goals than Hyman ever has though, but Hyman might be a bit better/useful as a net front presence

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Those are not the contracts we should be using as organizational benchmarks, those are the contracts we should be looking to get rid of because too many of them bring down the team. 

100% agree you're preaching to the choir, they were being used for perspective, as I explained. 

17 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

No we'd definitely know already, there's would be 4th liners and fringe NHL'ers being signed to $2.5 and $3 million dollar per year contracts.

Is signing a 3rd line guy to a 4.75 million dollar contract much better?

I like the signing because I’m a homer and can appreciate the PK / speed element we need but if Benning does this deal people are looking at it a lot more negatively. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

he was top-30 in goals per 60 mins played

played with two mediocre players in Kampf and Engvall, and was the play driver on his own line

pundits are haters, Mikheyev gonna hit 35 goals/60-65 points this year playing with Petey

Hope this is how things work out.

To me, this is the first big test of the new management group. With the beefed up pro scouting unit, new AGMs, and emphasis on consensus decision-making not to mention Allvin and JR at the top, I am sure a lot of due diligence went into this move.

Mikheyev is a good player but this is a high price tag, especially for a team as cap-constrained as the Canucks.

The Canucks do have just enough cap room for today's moves but they will be into LTIR and have basically zero cap room left unless they move someone out. 

• Like 1

Like the signing. Def brings a bit of muscle and speed to our top 6/9. Improves our PK.

So Pearson maybe Garland out?

So our potential lineup if we keep Miller? 

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Mikheyev?-Horvat-Podkolzin

Kuzmenko?-Dickinson-Hoglander

Dowling?-Lazar-Lockwood?

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schenn

Dermott-Burroughs

Demko

Martin

Edited by FutureFilm

34 minutes ago, rekker said:

He will. His speed and size is something the top six is desperately needing.

Even your gm calls him what he is. A middle 6 not top 6 lol

Edited by Mustard Tiger
Holy crap brain what even happened lmao