The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade John Marino to Devils for Ty Smith, 2023 3rd-round pick

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Severson is an “A” piece. 

Not convinced of that.

And I don't know if he fits this defense stylistically. He's not the partner for Hughes, that's for sure.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Doxm said:

This is a very weird trade.... do the Devils flip Marino for Miller now? 

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

Honestly bizarre.

hamilton

severson

marino

nemec coming soon 

very curious and maybe setting up a Miller trade for sure. 

Not very bizarre at all.

NJD likely knows they can't retain Severson so Marino replaces him going forward.

They don't need to trade Severson yet, either. Could wait to see if Nemec will be NHL ready.

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say odd man out is Boeser.  Too slow, too much of a passenger.  He's the only one who doesn't play the style they're going for

They just resigned him though, so I doubt they're planning on moving him. As much as I like Boes, I agree that he should have been the one to be moved, especially considering Petey and Garland have some chemistry together, but as it stands, the most likely winger to be moved is Garland.

10 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Not convinced of that.

And I don't know if he fits this defense stylistically. He's not the partner for Hughes, that's for sure.

Curious why you suggest Severson isn’t a good fit with Hughes?  

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say odd man out is Boeser.  Too slow, too much of a passenger.  He's the only one who doesn't play the style they're going for

They just re-signed the guy.

Sheesh.  Your Boeser hate is showing.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He’s like 3 weeks away from 28. So for all intents and purposes he’s 28.

Suddenly Seversonis the perfect piece

despite little talk about him for the last 6 months :lol:

Like I said if we can’t get the D man we want back we get a forward and wait until one we actually want become available. Not just one that has become expendable by the only trade partner we have left. That’s not how you build a team…

Amen.

People just get so horny over every name that's allegedly available.

If Severson was as good as some people in this thread think he is, NJD would be throwing bags of money at him to stay not trading for someone who's going to eventually replace him.

Sign him in the off-season for free next year if we really want him.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Why when and how did they miss out?

Can you provide the transcript of the conversations/negotiations.
you don’t have it?

you’re just assuming you know what went down then?

The Nuck management have a long history with the Penguins, so it would likely they have had some

discussion with them during the offseason.  Yes, I am assuming that the Nuck managers would have

discovered that Marino was available for trade.

what if they wanted Podz for Marino straight up and wouldn’t budge?

is that still missing out? 

Seeing what Pitts got for Marino, that would be an odd request for a Canuck trade.

You’re making up a story in your mind that they lost out on Marino without any fact to back it up, and then establishing a further narrative off of said conjecture. 

that’s called convoluting something. 

Nope.  JR + Alvin are tight with the Pitts management and every GM has to know how desperate the Canucks are

for an RD.  Maybe they just didn't think Marino was a fit for the team.  Maybe they have another plan.

Whatever. Go bark up another tree.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Curious why you suggest Severson isn’t a good fit with Hughes?  

He's more of an adventure than I would want for Hughes' partner.

If anything he would replace Myers here and not fill that hole on the top pair.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BPA said:

They just re-signed the guy.

Sheesh.  Your Boeser hate is showing.

I don't hate Boeser, at all.  Show me a post where I say that.  However, he doesn't fit this lineup no matter how you paint it, he just does t play that kind of style, whereas Garland, Podz and Mikheyev do.

29 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

He's more of an adventure than I would want for Hughes' partner.

If anything he would replace Myers here and not fill that hole on the top pair.

Severson averages almost 25 minutes a game, kills penalties and plays the PP.  What part of that makes him only a 2nd pairing Dman?  He's a perfect fit for Hughes...

34 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The Nuck management have a long history with the Penguins, so it would likely they have had some

discussion with them during the offseason.  Yes, I am assuming that the Nuck managers would have

discovered that Marino was available for trade.

Seeing what Pitts got for Marino, that would be an odd request for a Canuck trade.

Nope.  JR + Alvin are tight with the Pitts management and every GM has to know how desperate the Canucks are

for an RD.  Maybe they just didn't think Marino was a fit for the team.  Maybe they have another plan.

Whatever. Go bark up another tree.

JR was the one who signed Marino to his current deal, so yes as you say is familiar with the player. You also state the hypothetical that they thought perhaps Marino wasn’t a fit for the team. 

Combined, that isn’t really missing out then, is it?

anyway, this is all opinion any way one slices. so if you still feel that in summary Marino was a lost opportunity, have at ‘er.

my point is that it takes two to tango when consummating a player trade. 

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't hate Boeser, at all.  Show me a post where I say that.  However, he doesn't fit this lineup no matter how you paint it, he just does t play that kind of style, whereas Garland, Podz and Mikheyev do.

Someone who has the potential to score 40 goals in this league can fit into any lineup...

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Someone who has the potential to score 40 goals in this league can fit into any lineup...

40 goal potential?  Cmon......mikheyev scored 21 last season, is he a potential 40 goal guy?

Edited by stawns

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Not convinced of that.

It seems like fans are just so worried we’ll get nothing for Miller that they’re willing to settle for anything. :lol:

Still think Miller ends up re-signing and this will all be for nothing.

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I hope you know I’m not picking on you or your perspectives. I’m playing devil’s advocate because ppl seem to be jumping the gun and being critical of a future event that has not happened. There’s a lot of time still prior to next season. We obviously have excess at F which could be effectively used to shore up D. We have tradable desirable options. Let’s see how things shake out before assuming mgmt has already F’d everything up. That’s all I’m hoping to convey. 

Clever, clever !

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

40 goal potential?  Cmon......mikheyev scored 21 last season, is he a potential 40 goal guy?

Oh God, are we doing this crap again?  

Why don't you list the games played as well as the goals scored so we have a much better idea of Boeser's average goals per game?  

Next thing you are going to tell me is Boeser isn't a 30 goal scorer cause he only got 29 goals in 62 games, am I right?

• Cheers 1