The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade John Marino to Devils for Ty Smith, 2023 3rd-round pick

8 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Just a thought:

They have an overpaid RHD who is very good on a long-term contract.

And we have an overpaid LHD who is very good on a long-term contract.

Admittedly, there are adjustments to be made*, but maybe both teams 'win'.

*Age, contract values, etc.

That's why I originally threw in Miller for MacLeod and Nemec to balance a blockbuster deal out.

Let's face it.

It's Saturday afternoon and everybody should be dancing now!

Hope the rest of your Saturday was a blast too :towel:teen witch dancing GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes but he's a right hand shot and can play with Hughes.  So just moving money from the left side to the right side.  But I'm hoping they go after Severson instead.

I legit think Hamilton's contract is the worst on the league. No way I'm taking that on unless there's retention. 

• Vintage 1

I'd do Miller for Severson/Marino + Sharangovich in a heart beat, or maybe Jesper Boqvist or maaaybe at a stretch McLeod + 2nd. They've got so many good young middle 6 centers, their young guys are probably going to break out next year but Miller makes them a playoff team and supports the tiny kids.

We'd need some sort of 3C coming back because without Miller, we rely on Petey as 1C, Bo as 2C, Lazar/Dickinson as 3C and Joshua as 4C which is rubbish depth, so Sharangovich or Boqvist at 3C gives us a good 40pt center.

Pretty lateral trade there, one 100pt guy for a 40-50pt defenceman and 40pt center seems fair.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I wonder, based on this trade if the Canucks could have scored Marino for Dermott + 3rd. Pens just wanted a defenceman on a lower cap hit and Dermott is perfect. 

We'd obviously still have to free up about 5-6M in cap space elsewhere (dump Garland for a prospect or pick) but boy we could have easily been in on this, got to try and take advantage of these cap tight teams and I'm surprised JR wasn't all over the Pens.

13 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Plus an unsigned JT and Myers with only on year left at 25 - 50% retained could bring in some assets at TDL. Not ideal for JT but don't mind waiting for the best deal (despite injury risk)

And who do they replace Myers with?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

And who would play OEL's hard mins?

I know... if you read my initial post it said anyone not named QH or OEL.

In saying this, it all depends, what we expect our timeline to be? 
If we are going to make noises within 2 years (god I hope so), OEL should remain, but maybe a real quality defensive LHD to play with Myers, could take the hard minutes at a lesser price than OEL...

In the endvits about number crunching, and how we get a competetive team under the cap. 
I think OEL is somewhat wasted at the moment... and that says a lot, as he was magnificent last season. Myers wantscto go forward as well, so either we find two defensive RHD to play with QH and OEL or we find one of each?

Either way its a lot of money invested in our D-core....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I know... if you read my initial post it said anyone not named QH or OEL.

In saying this, it all depends, what we expect our timeline to be? 
If we are going to make noises within 2 years (god I hope so), OEL should remain, but maybe a real quality defensive LHD to play with Myers, could take the hard minutes at a lesser price than OEL...

In the endvits about number crunching, and how we get a competetive team under the cap. 
I think OEL is somewhat wasted at the moment... and that says a lot, as he was magnificent last season. Myers wantscto go forward as well, so either we find two defensive RHD to play with QH and OEL or we find one of each?

Either way its a lot of money invested in our D-core....

OEL is somewhat wasted. I agree. I'd far prefer addressing that issue and building around the superior player, who's under contract longer, than the inferior player who echoes the season after this coming one.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

OEL is somewhat wasted. I agree. I'd far prefer addressing that issue and building around the superior player, who's under contract longer, than the inferior player who echoes the season after this coming one.

We are witnessing how hard it is to trade a player with a serious cap hit especially with the flat cap (or Miller who will have a big cap hit the year after next) 

They have a better chance at moving a big cap hit to a team with cap space but players like Miller and OEL are the sort that contenders try to add as a player who could be the piece to put them over the top for a cup run.  

So I give Allvin a little slack because these trades are extremely difficult to make right now.  It's frustrating as hell but teams with cap space just aren't that motivated and they can't demand full value from Miller

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/16/2022 at 10:05 AM, gurn said:

One thing I don't, and likely never will understand is; why do people still try to beat you at posting hockey moves?

Because u guys stick to your stubbornness and let only 1 guy do everything. Even if it’s correct or exactly to your liking maybe let others try!

31 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

OEL is our pp insurance. Might be invaluable come playoffs. Might be, hopefully not necessarily needed. 

Not just that, but he has been taking a lot of defensive weight off Hughes' shoulders. And makes our 2nd pair a legit threat. They can't just ignore OEL. Speaking of, happy birthday to OEL.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not just that, but he has been taking a lot of defensive weight off Hughes' shoulders. And makes our 2nd pair a legit threat. They can't just ignore OEL. Speaking of, happy birthday to OEL.

I think with one more stud defensive defenseman it would free up a lot of offensive chemistry back there. Or pray for a young dman to step up like Hutton would even help.

HBD OEL!!

3 hours ago, SedinMadness said:

Because u guys stick to your stubbornness and let only 1 guy do everything. Even if it’s correct or exactly to your liking maybe let others try!

As just a poster here, I have no control over other people posting- thus I don't "let" only .........................

And I never said nobody else should be allowed to post, merely that I don't understand why people still try to beat the guy.

I've been here for years, and have seen Vintage 'scooped'  less than 10 times- and likely closer to 5 in all that time.

Leading me to wonder why people still try.