The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Patrik Laine

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

Laines totals are skewed by an awful year two seasons ago, last year he's ppg.  You take BB , a 20+ goal scorer and I'll take Laine, who is an actual 30 goal scorer (twice) and a 40 goal scorer (once).

Laine as been a PPG once in his entire career...............................he's had multiple off years.

They are close, Yes you'd probably have to give the higher goal scoring ceiling to Laine....but in different "tiers" they are not. They are for sure in the same tier, all numbers back that up.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Honourable Hughes said:

They need to clear 5-6M before or after the bjorkstrand trade?

I'd say before.  They have a ton of guys on their roster right now.  Once they send them all down, they'll probably be cap compliant.

Man, what a huge price to pay to re-sign this guy.  I really don't know if he's worth it.

19 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

44 goals ONCE 6 YEARS AGO. Hasn't scored north of 30 since. Inconsistent player. Facts are facts. Has been well under a PPG in multiple seasons. Not elite. 

He's very good when he's on, but he's not elite. That's disrespectful to the elite players who do it season in and season out. 

It's almost like you stopped following him in 2017 and haven't since lol He's been a PPG once.....in his entire career.

He needs someone that can set him up which he didn't always have in Winnipeg or even Columbus.

CBJ didn't have any playmakers his 1st season there - reason they swapped Atkinson for Voracek.  Gaudreau and Laine will most likely be on the same line so lets see.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, mll said:

He needs someone that can set him up which he didn't always have in Winnipeg or even Columbus.

CBJ didn't have any playmakers his 1st season there - reason they swapped Atkinson for Voracek.  Gaudreau and Laine will most likely be on the same line so lets see.

I agree Laine is 100% capable talent wise, he's just been a really inconsistent player that's all. Elite players are 70+ point players year in and year out. Laine has never done that, I can't sit here and say he scored 44 goals 6 years ago so he's Elite regardless of what he's done since then and what his career numbers are, it's a silly argument. If you list the Elite players in the league, putting Laine's name in there looks very out of place, because it is. 

EVEN if Laine played 82 games this season and remained a PPG (which he's never done in his career) he would 30th in scoring.........

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I agree Laine is 100% capable talent wise, he's just been a really inconsistent player that's all. Elite players are 70+ point players year in and year out. Laine has never done that, I can't sit here and say he scored 44 goals 6 years ago so he's Elite regardless of what he's done since then, it's a silly argument. If you list the Elite players in the league, putting Laine's name in there looks very out of place, because it is. 

He's an elite goal scorer but he needs a set-up guy.  He's not an all-round player but has that one skill that many teams are looking for.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

He's an elite goal scorer but he needs a set-up guy.  He's not an all-round player but has that one skill that many teams are looking for.  

He has the potential to be an Elite goal scorer , his goal totals are:

Compare that to other Elite goal scorers and it doesn't even come close to comparing. So I'll say he has the potential to be an elite goal scorer but he's only scored an elite amount of goals once....6 years ago lol

Edited by Harold Drunken

44 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

You're likely overestimating Laine's worth in terms of reputation and locker room fit, and I'll go ahead and ignore the atrocious spelling and punctuation of your post as that's not relevant:

1 - Not anymore based on Laine's cap hit, Columbus needs offensive talent, even with Gaudreau. I doubt most teams would be willing to pay this much for a very inconsistent player.

2 - Laine's reputation around the league would likely narrow any suitors and worth to many teams

3 - His reputation as a selfish, streaky player also diminishes his trade value

I think a few on here are perhaps overvaluing Laine as well. He has 1 year north of 70 points....that's not elite and neither is his consistency.. He completely ghosts for games on end, I don't think he would garner as much in a trade as you would think, especially at $8.7.

(oh yay, you are kind enough to ignore my typos.. thank you internet watch. You did good today, have a good one.)

No need to overpost, just ask around the league if Laine or Boeser is better, case close. Go on a popular hockey forum and post Boeser is better than Laine with your analysis up there, I dare you. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

He has the potential to be an Elite goal scorer , his goal totals are:

Compare that to other Elite goal scorers and it doesn't even come close to comparing. So I'll say he has the potential to be an elite goal scorer but he's only scored an elite amount of goals once....6 years ago lol

Look at who he was playing with.  He needs a playmaker.   Other than Ovechkin, there's probably no one else that can beat goalies from a distance without a screen like Laine can.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

(oh yay, you are kind enough to ignore my typos.. thank you internet watch. You did good today, have a good one.)

No need to overpost, just ask around the league if Laine or Boeser is better, case close. Go on a popular hockey forum and post Boeser is better than Laine with your analysis up there, I dare you. 

Yes, I'll go get my facts and statistics off of a "Popular Hockey Forum" and ignore all the real life data

That's like getting financial advice from MC Hammer. 

I could sit here and post link after link about Laine's reputation and inconsistent play but it would likely never compete with the strangers guiding you in this so called "popular hockey forum" :picard:

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Look at who he was playing with.  He needs a playmaker.   Other than Ovechkin, there's probably no one else that can beat goalies from a distance without a screen like Laine can.

I'll agree for sure having a line mate like Gaudreau should help his production, no doubt.

1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

All 3 of these guys of these guys mentioned have questionable character... Super high skill, low character.  Teams are paying for their past numbers, skill and potential but I think teams need to change their idea how they weight or measure value of a player. 

Miller has more character then all these guys combined.... And that's including his little temper tantrum from time to time.  Who would you want to go to battle with and have your back?  Isn't that worth a lot?  Me thinks so.  Even with there numbers don't want them on my team.

Not sure why you're comparing him to Miller, it's Boeser that everywhere here is comparing Laine to (for whatever reason).

But yes, right now, I'd rather have Miller if I'm trying to win. In a few years though, that might not be the case.

5 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Not sure why you're comparing him to Miller, it's Boeser that everywhere here is comparing Laine to (for whatever reason).

But yes, right now, I'd rather have Miller if I'm trying to win. In a few years though, that might not be the case.

I was using an example of the most volatile... Sometimes slightly questionable character player.  Whereas boeser, petey, podkolzin, Horvat, Demko...  Etc all have high character.  We have no low character players on the nucks.  

15 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yes, I'll go get my facts and statistics off of a "Popular Hockey Forum" and ignore all the real life data

That's like getting financial advice from MC Hammer. 

I could sit here and post link after link about Laine's reputation and inconsistent play but it would likely never compete with the strangers guiding you in this so called "popular hockey forum" :picard:

What? you mean your complete nonsense can only stay posted within the Canucks forum because you will get rofl'd at in the outside world? Thought so. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

What? you mean your complete nonsense can only stay posted within the Canucks forum because you will get rofl'd at in the outside world? Thought so. 

Literally no one said Boeser is better. Was pointed out that not even close is not accurate, and the career numbers back that up. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Relax.  Here are some new slippers. 

image.jpeg.5ab03056fbc2941d9c336c5b2ccb74a9.jpeg

• Haha 3