The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

22 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

to everyone complaining about how we went on a winning streak last season and picked at a worse spot, it wouldnt have made a difference. We could have been picking 7th overall and Alvin says in this video they had their list and they were sticking with it. On their list Lekkerimakki was 7th. So they most likely would have picked him in that spot. Just food for thought

I highly agree with this. The lower you pick the higher the odds a player(s) you like will get picked, but we have no idea what different teams draft lists look like. No one on these forums had any idea that the Nucks' brass had Lek ranked at 7th until Allvin said so after the fact. Heck, in 2017, neither Hischier nor Patrick were #1 on the Nucks' list according to Linden. At #11, from what I gather, Allvin and co. are fairly confident about their options at that pick, and understandably so. In my opinion, there are about 15 players that deserve to go in the top-10. Let the chips fall where they may...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I highly agree with this. The lower you pick the higher the odds a player(s) you like will get picked, but we have no idea what different teams draft lists look like. No one on these forums had any idea that the Nucks' brass had Lek ranked at 7th until Allvin said so after the fact. Heck, in 2017, neither Hischier nor Patrick were #1 on the Nucks' list according to Linden. At #11, from what I gather, Allvin and co. are fairly confident about their options at that pick, and understandably so. In my opinion, there are about 15 players that deserve to go in the top-10. Let the chips fall where they may...

Great take 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

I’ve become a bit obsessed with Stenberg. If he was a little taller I think he’d be higher on a lot of boards.

i don’t want a tournament to impact how I view a player so drastically but I can’t help it Stenberg has really impressed me 

Lol I feel the same about Strbak. Particularly with the race for top defenseman in the draft still so wide open, I was watching him at that tournament and just kept thinking "why not Strbak?"

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

i agree with allvins plan

the draft is where you go and try to secure a player that no team would ever trade you

Benson, Michkov, Cristal, Pellika could all become core players.

we should never be using our 1st to draft a guy that projects as a 3rd liner or a 2nd/3rd pair defenseman.

we should be finding guys that have some kind of defect that can be improved upon- e.g. too skinny (petersson) awkward skater (raty) too small (caufield). theyre the ones who have a chance to become greater than thier draft projections. 

Exactly this. I'd rather take a risk and go for a top end skilled guy than try and draft some big gritty winger hoping he'll be the next prime Lucic but just ends up a Virtanen.

Go for the Pettersson pick. If we fail, we end up with what, a guy like Shinkaruk or Goldobin, sure, but if we hit a home run that's a top 10 player in the NHL, and this draft I think if you go for top end talent you're more likely to hit one out of the park.

There's a lot of safe two way centers in this draft at our spot who I'd be alright taking (Leonard, Danielson, Moore, Dvorsky, Yager) but I wouldn't be mad taking a guy who could become a superstar. These guys above scream middle 6 center, but do we really want to spend our high pick on a 2 or 3C we could just nab in free agency? 

There's a couple of solid RDs who we'll never find elsewhere. Reinbacher is solid but far from a potential future PPG superstar. ASP is interesting - he could easily be a flop with such hype, but boy if his game continues to develop and trend upwards you could be looking at a Hughes-type player. 

Benson's the one for me everyone will sleep on, he may come around to out of the top 10 but he's got so much offensive talent and IQ, I think he'll end up being a stud, Point/Kane-type small shifty playmaker.

Got to go for high end talent and we've got a lot to pick from but also a lot of safe picks too, it'll be interesting to see who's available and who Allvin goes for.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol I feel the same about Strbak. Particularly with the race for top defenseman in the draft still so wide open, I was watching him at that tournament and just kept thinking "why not Strbak?"

Agreed, he was a great two way guy. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the 20-25 region overall and you never know, he could be the best defenceman of the draft. I think he, Willander and Lindstein will surprise people and end up being solid top 4 guys in a few years. It's getting harder to separate Strbak from Simashev, Gulyayev etc., I'd put Strbak in the ASP and Reinbacher category now.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly this. I'd rather take a risk and go for a top end skilled guy than try and draft some big gritty winger hoping he'll be the next prime Lucic but just ends up a Virtanen.

Go for the Pettersson pick. If we fail, we end up with what, a guy like Shinkaruk or Goldobin, sure, but if we hit a home run that's a top 10 player in the NHL, and this draft I think if you go for top end talent you're more likely to hit one out of the park.

There's a lot of safe two way centers in this draft at our spot who I'd be alright taking (Leonard, Danielson, Moore, Dvorsky, Yager) but I wouldn't be mad taking a guy who could become a superstar. These guys above scream middle 6 center, but do we really want to spend our high pick on a 2 or 3C we could just nab in free agency? 

There's a couple of solid RDs who we'll never find elsewhere. Reinbacher is solid but far from a potential future PPG superstar. ASP is interesting - he could easily be a flop with such hype, but boy if his game continues to develop and trend upwards you could be looking at a Hughes-type player. 

Benson's the one for me everyone will sleep on, he may come around to out of the top 10 but he's got so much offensive talent and IQ, I think he'll end up being a stud, Point/Kane-type small shifty playmaker.

Got to go for high end talent and we've got a lot to pick from but also a lot of safe picks too, it'll be interesting to see who's available and who Allvin goes for.

If we manage to snag Benson I’ll renounce my lord and saviour Stillman 

Would be most optimal outcome of this draft, aside from winning lottery of course 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I wanted to have a try at tiers. Players are not necessarily in order of ranking within each tier.

Tier I

Connor Bedard

Matvei Michkov

Tier II

Leo Carlsson

Adam Fantilli

Tier III

Dalibor Dvorsky

Eduard Sale

Will Smith

Tier IV

Colby Barlow

Zach Benson

Mikhail Gulyayev

Ryan Leonard

David Reinbacher

Maxim Strbak

Tier V

Daniil But

Nate Danielson

David Edstrom

Kasper Halttunen

Samuel Honzek

Aram Minnetian

Quentin Musty

Gabe Perreault

Calum Ritchie

Axel Sandin-Pellikka

Otto Stenberg

Matthew Wood

Brayden Yager

Moore?

17 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

i agree with allvins plan

the draft is where you go and try to secure a player that no team would ever trade you

Benson, Michkov, Cristal, Pellika could all become core players.

we should never be using our 1st to draft a guy that projects as a 3rd liner or a 2nd/3rd pair defenseman.

we should be finding guys that have some kind of defect that can be improved upon- e.g. too skinny (petersson) awkward skater (raty) too small (caufield). theyre the ones who have a chance to become greater than thier draft projections. 

This is a good point, there are players in this Draft that are exceptional and Allvin could have his short list on who he could see becoming a star. A good 3rd line C or 2nd pairing D is all fine, but the Canucks need to draft the best possible asset they can. 

Michkov

Sandin Pellikka

Benson

Cristall

Might as well swing for the fences, and if their gone, go after Danielson or Reinbacher. 

• Like 1

Lots of people mention Danielson, he is a late birthday and just missed out on last years draft, will be 19 in September. Does this make any difference in projecting where he ends up further in his career? Has anyone done the comparison of a super young kid that is draft eligible and one like Danielson who is at least 6 months older than most of his compareables? 

1 hour ago, Neutral said:

Lots of people mention Danielson, he is a late birthday and just missed out on last years draft, will be 19 in September. Does this make any difference in projecting where he ends up further in his career? Has anyone done the comparison of a super young kid that is draft eligible and one like Danielson who is at least 6 months older than most of his compareables? 

Not really. Just means you need to be careful in evaluating because they can't be directly compared either to players in their same draft class on one hand, or players in their same birth year on the other. You have to kind of look at them as half way in between, but it's important to remember that the more relevant factor here is not how many months older or younger than other players they are, but the fact that by their draft year they have one more season of organized hockey under their belts - e.g. for CHL players, late birthdays will be in their 3rd season in their draft years, while other players will be in their 2nd season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Stierlitz said:

In his second game for the Russian men's team vs Belarus, Michkov scored

https://t.me/rusicehockey/2086 

I understand it’s unlikely but if Michkov falls out of the top 5 in the draft I hope we can make a deal to move up and get him. Allvin says he wants to draft difference makers and Michkov is that for sure. After Bedard he’s the biggest difference maker in this draft. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I wanted to have a try at tiers. Players are not necessarily in order of ranking within each tier.

Tier I

Connor Bedard

Matvei Michkov

Tier II

Leo Carlsson

Adam Fantilli

Tier III

Dalibor Dvorsky

Eduard Sale

Will Smith

Tier IV

Colby Barlow

Zach Benson

Mikhail Gulyayev

Ryan Leonard

David Reinbacher

Maxim Strbak

Tier V

Daniil But

Nate Danielson

David Edstrom

Kasper Halttunen

Samuel Honzek

Aram Minnetian

Quentin Musty

Gabe Perreault

Calum Ritchie

Axel Sandin-Pellikka

Otto Stenberg

Matthew Wood

Brayden Yager

I really love your rankings..........and tiers

Noticeables, in within the tiers

1. I think tier 3 is spot on and I love that you have Sale and Dvorsky in with Smith...............absolutely love it!

2.  Gulyayev and Strbak..........Love the call on Gulyayev and wonder if Strbak is a little high (I know you really liked him at the U18's) interesting!

3. Really like stenberg on your list...I almost feel Sandin Pellikka, Wood, Danielson and Stenberg should be in another tier between IV and V

PS...........I kind of wish you would have ranked them

Just now, J.I.A.H.N said:

I really love your rankings..........and tiers

Noticeables, in within the tiers

1. I think tier 3 is spot on and I love that you have Sale and Dvorsky in with Smith...............absolutely love it!

2.  Gulyayev and Strbak..........Love the call on Gulyayev and wonder if Strbak is a little high (I know you really liked him at the U18's) interesting!

3. Really like stenberg on your list...I almost feel Sandin Pellikka, Wood, Danielson and Stenberg should be in another tier between IV and V

PS...........I kind of wish you would have ranked them

I know, I love doing rankings but am currently abstaining for fantasy purposes. Not that I'm worried people will copy my rankings or some shit; but if trying to trade up or down being too transparent could be problematic.

On Strbak, you know how I am - same with having Minnetian top ten earlier in the season and still having him top 20 - to hell with the consensus, everyone is wrong all the time; I like the players I like. I've gone back and re-watched a bunch of Strbak clips after the U18s and I'm sold. Don't know how I never saw it from him before, but all of my viewings on him came from international tournaments where my focus would be more on Dvorsky, Slafkovsky, Nemec, etc. plus opposing players from top teams. The one nice thing about the U18s this year having so many second and third rate teams was that you could just focus attention on a few players from one team when a good team played one of them. Anyways, still not huge samples on either big RHD for me, but I just can't put my finger on what Reinbacher has that Strbak doesn't.

Gulyayev I think could be somewhere in Makar/Hughes territory. Daniil But is also soaring up a lot of lists apparently. Recrutes shockingly has him 4th, ahead of Dvorsky and Carlsson. I get what you're saying about maybe splitting that 5th tier in two, but again, I'm trying not to go off the consensus too much; too many players I'm not quite familiar enough with yet to split hairs between those guys.

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Well, the fact that I forgot about him should tell you something about how cold I am on him right now, but yeah he should probably be there in the 5th tier.

ice waiting GIF by tarninabarn

Leonard

Reinbacher

Benson

Dvorsky/Wood

Sale

That's my list in order right now. One of them will be there. I think we'll see a couple eye openers in the top 10 and the world will be our oyster as they say. 

ASP

Yager

Danielson

are my next 3.

Yager, Wood, and Sale, are the three guys I see where it's easy to label what could go wrong but they all seem to have that special magic that just gets it done when it counts.

I’ve noticed more in regards to Wallinder and either picking him or trading back to pick him. I’m no scout not even an amateur scout but watching him at the U18”s his passing and touch stood out to my eyes as flat out bad. When he made a pass it wasn’t crisp and players had to take the extra effort to control. When he received passes he rarely received them cleanly constantly bobbling the puck. Little to No evasive stick handling maneuvers as well. 

little things I noticed not sure if anyone that watched him more closely picked up on this or feel differently, 

• Like 1

A comparable I've seen for Sale is Matt Boldy. Somebody who is good at everything and teeders on the line of elite production. He would provide a significant boost to any team's offensive corps. He would make a good pick for just about any team that drafts him.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1