The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

24 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Yeah I kinda get what you are saying however I like to do my own comparisons.

I totally respect yours.

One aspect of Dvorsky's game that is better than Petey's was at a similar stage is his defensive game. 

Like HOH has stated, he is the type of player that will help you win playoff games. 

Give me a player who might score less points however stops more goals being scored against you.

I much prefer Danielson in this regard. I can see many people seem to be sold on Dvorsky there's no point in me trying to convince anyone otherwise. I wouldn't hate the pick he's big and aggressive wins faceoffs plays ok defensively. I'm not sold on his 2c upside but at least he's not another scrawny winger. `

• Cheers 1

My top 11 for this draft: 

1 Bedard

2 Fantilli

3 Carlsson

4 Michkov

5 Smith 

6 Leonard 

7 Benson

8 Wood 

9 Sale 

10 Moore

11 Dvosrky 

Leonard, Wood & Sale I think will be better then expected. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow, Wood is now at 10 and Reinbacher at 16.  Wood is the guy if he is available at 11.  If not I would go Reinbacher...

This is one persons ranking. Slow your roll. McKeen has had some out here rankings in the past. Take them all with a grain of salt. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I much prefer Danielson in this regard. I can see many people seem to be sold on Dvorsky there's no point in me trying to convince anyone otherwise. I wouldn't hate the pick he's big and aggressive wins faceoffs plays ok defensively. I'm not sold on his 2c upside but at least he's not another scrawny winger. `

I like Danielson to. 

I believe there be a higher chance he is available for us with that pick. 

It's not so much l like Dalibor, I do, he has risen on a lot of lists into the top 10. 

That gives more confidence when other scouts/ hockey analysts see the same thing. 

I think every single poster in this thread doesn't want another scrawny winger !

Danielson is interesting. 6’2 right handed centre, tremendous skater and most mature player of this draft. Plays on a shit wheat kings team but is one of the best two way players in the draft. Scouts have compared him to Logan Couture.

His skating and speed is certainly one of his best traits along with his poise and IQ. 2C material for sure. 

I do think he’s more of a safe pick, kind of guy who’s good at all things but doesn’t have special attributes that stand out. Not a sexy pick, but could be a solid prospect for us that can push for a NHL spot in 2 years. 

Id still much rather go for Wood as his elite offensive ability is far more superior. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stawns said:

Where were Raty and Karlsson picked again?

again you can’t find any good reason for why we shouldn’t pick Wood other than “he can’t skate” which is a poor analysis.

Wood is a near PPG player in a men’s league while being the youngest. NCAA is a far superior league than the CHL consisting of players ending up generally as AHL’ers to legitimate NHL players. His BCHL linemate at the time was 19 year old Ellis Rickwood who had 80 points and a higher PPG than Wood. Rickwood in his first season of college hockey put up 5 assists in 35 games. Wood put up near PPG numbers. The last time someone put up those types of numbers at his age was before the lockout season and that was Toews.

His skating will not diminish his offensive capabilities, his elite shot, IQ, size, as well as his solid all around game like you claim it will. His skating while needs improvement certainly isn’t anywhere near Boeser’s level. 

Almost any 6’4+ player as young as Wood will need to improve on skating, especially someone who grew nearly 4 inches from 15-18 (listed as 6’0 before). 

I asked you why you think Wood’s skating is a reason why we shouldn’t pick him at 11 considering all the other factors, you can’t even manufacture a simple argument.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, cdgraham said:

My top 11 for this draft: 

1 Bedard

2 Fantilli

3 Carlsson

4 Michkov

5 Smith 

6 Leonard 

7 Benson

8 Wood 

9 Sale 

10 Moore

11 Dvosrky 

Leonard, Wood & Sale I think will be better then expected. 

Here is what I heard about Sale: He's a boom or bust prospect because he has great moments in games but is invisible at the same time for 50 + minutes of the game. The thing that is really concerning is that he's not going to put in the effort / work ethic on a consistent basis. This type of player is not going to engage in puck battles along the boards and in the corners. He's a shiny and fancy player that excels in showing his goal scoring prowess and skill occasionally.  In the NHL you simply can't take off shifts and be not engaged.

My predictiion: he will not be selected in the top 15. There's even a good chance that he falls outside of the top 20.

agree with your assessment that Leonard is going to be selected in the top 10, because he is a centre and therefore holds more value to teams compared to wingers. Dvorsky has the type of player teams like Philadelphia and Washington like. He's tall and has strengh with a great two - way game. One scouting service even mentioned that Dvorsky has the best defensive game for a center since Patrice Bergeron. As @illunga already mentioned he 's projected to be a match up 2nd line centre. I don't see him getting past Washington.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

If Simashev somehow gets picked in the top 10, that would be a definite trigger for a run on defensemen to happen. Can you imagine if Arizona goes for him at 6, and then Reinbacher and ASP follow?!? 

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

again you can’t find any good reason for why we shouldn’t pick Wood other than “he can’t skate” which is a poor analysis.

Wood is a near PPG player in a men’s league while being the youngest. NCAA is a far superior league than the CHL consisting of players ending up generally as AHL’ers to legitimate NHL players. His BCHL linemate at the time was 19 year old Ellis Rickwood who had 80 points and a higher PPG than Wood. Rickwood in his first season of college hockey put up 5 assists in 35 games. Wood put up near PPG numbers. The last time someone put up those types of numbers at his age was before the lockout season and that was Toews.

His skating will not diminish his offensive capabilities, his elite shot, IQ, size, as well as his solid all around game like you claim it will. His skating while needs improvement certainly isn’t anywhere near Boeser’s level. 

Almost any 6’4+ player as young as Wood will need to improve on skating, especially someone who grew nearly 4 inches from 15-18 (listed as 6’0 before). 

I asked you why you think Wood’s skating is a reason why we shouldn’t pick him at 11 considering all the other factors, you can’t even manufacture a simple argument.

It would be impossible for a 17 year old to be a PPG player in the NCAA if he was a terrible skater. Wood had a huge growth spurt and is just growing into his body, so his skating looks awkward.  He isn’t slow though. He’s very similar to Tage Thompson who is even bigger than Wood.  

Wood has silky mitts and a wicked wrist shot, which you can’t teach.  He learned his shot practicing with Connor Bedard.  He can go to a power skating coach like BO to improve his skating.  If he does that he would be unstoppable in the NHL.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Here is what I heard about Sale: He's a boom or bust prospect because he has great moments in games but is invisible at the same time for 50 + minutes of the game. The thing that is really concerning is that he's not going to put in the effort / work ethic on a consistent basis. This type of player is not going to engage in puck battles along the boards and in the corners. He's a shiny and fancy player that excels in showing his goal scoring prowess and skill occasionally.  In the NHL you simply can't take off shifts and be not engaged.

My predictiion: he will not be selected in the top 15. There's even a good chance that he falls outside of the top 20.

agree with your assessment that Leonard is going to be selected in the top 10, because he is a centre and therefore holds more value to teams compared to wingers. Dvorsky has the type of player teams like Philadelphia and Washington like. He's tall and has strengh with a great two - way game. One scouting service even mentioned that Dvorsky has the best defensive game for a center since Patrice Bergeron. As @illunga already mentioned he 's projected to be a match up 2nd line centre. I don't see him getting past Washington.

You are bang on about Sale.

The reports I have accessed state what you have, he disappears for long periods in games.

Sure he can pop up and do something special, the talent is definitely there, however if he doesn't have a strong work ethic, that makes me wary.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Odd. said:

Yeah, you're right, skating doesn't matter much in today's NHL

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

You are bang on about Sale.

The reports I have accessed state what you have, he disappears for long periods in games.

Sure he can pop up and do something special, the talent is definitely there, however if he doesn't have a strong work ethic, that makes me wary.

This leads me to believe that whichever team drafts him will want him in the AHL right away.  It just makes the most sense with where he's at in his development.

• There it is 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It would be impossible for a 17 year old to be a PPG player in the NCAA if he was a terrible skater. Wood had a huge growth spurt and is just growing into his body, so his skating looks awkward.  He isn’t slow though. He’s very similar to Tage Thompson who is even bigger than Wood.  

Wood has silky mitts and a wicked wrist shot, which you can’t teach.  He learned his shot practicing with Connor Bedard.  He can go to a power skating coach like BO to improve his skating.  If he does that he would be unstoppable in the NHL.  

If he has a wicked wrist shot that you can’t teach how did he learn it from Bedard?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's the Canucks pick, they have a choice between:

Benson

Sale

Danielson

Barlow

Who do they take? IMO, take the C.

Benson has the highest ceiling of that group and he projects as an NHL centre. 

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benson has the highest ceiling of that group and he projects as an NHL centre. 

Benson projects as a C? Isn't he a bit undersized?  Also makes me wonder if Yager will end up being a winger in the NHL.

Sickens me that VAN could've had a top line with Tkachuk-Pettersson, but I try not to think about that. I think the Canucks need a high level player with some snarl and grit. Not sure who the best guys are to fit this mold. Barlow? (even though he's a winger). I think Leonard would be perfect, but will be gone unfortunately. 

Benson

Sale

Danielson

Barlow

Benson hands down.  Pour yourself a drink.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Benson

Sale

Danielson

Barlow

If they are actually going BPA then the rankings of those 4 are Benson-Sale-Danielson-Barlow. Benson being available at 11 would be a steal