The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

20 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

I dont think Benson falls that far. I think he goes top 10 for sure despite his size. Too much skill to pass up there. However, between him and Dvorsky, I still go with Dvorsky. We need size in our lineup. 

Size would be nice but I still feel like too many GMs pay a premium for size in the draft

players get taken way earlier than they should because of their size And likely end up being disappointments 

that being said if we can get a big player that has tons of potential but gets undervalued for other reasons (like klimovich for coming from a completely unknown league) I’m all for it 

Dvorsky is getting overvalued for his size and the relative “safety” of taking him. I’m pretty certain he’s gone before #11 

9 hours ago, R3aL said:

if woods On the Board when we go up I want to select him. 

I also second this.

Wood

Reinbacher

Barlow

Dvorsky

Simashev

Danielson

I would be ok with any of the above right now.

We could swing for the fences sure.  Perrault, Cristall, Yager, Benson etc.  But the issue lies in that if they don't reach their ceilings the likelihood of them being NHL stars is very very limited.  I say this as a person looking at this team and organization as one that just needs to draft NHL players of any type.  Not swinging for the fences and hoping.

For Benson, Cristall or Perrault if they are not top 6 players I have a very hard time seeing them playing in the league, to a lesser extent Yager.  With Wood, Reinbacher, Barlow, Dvorsky etc.  With the larger bodies they have a shot at playing no matter what, and I hate to generalize that way but it's true.  A larger body can find a way on the 3rd or 4th lines.  A smaller body very often does not.

We need to hit with our next 3-5 years worth of picks consistently with every possible pick.  Not just hoping that in 2-4 years player X pans out and reaches their ceilings.  because a larger player like Wood at their floor would still be an NHL player, but a player like Benson that doesn't achieve their potential most likely will not.

Due to a few meaningless games at the end of the season, I really don't see Dvorsky or the best

RD falling to the Canucks.  It's hard to determine what players will be available at 11oa, as there are

such large differences in the various mock draft lists.

If the Canucks don't see a player they want at 11oa, I wouldn't mind if they trade down and pick up a 2nd. 

My target for the 1st would be Ritchie or Danielson.  For the 2nd, it would be Strbak or Bonk.

Something like:  Nucks trade 11oa + 75oa to Calgary for 16oa + 48oa

They could probably do something similar with the Sens (13oa + 44oa), but would have to add to it.

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Would be a huge shock if anyone took at defenseman at 5. There just aren't any defensemen in this draft as good as the top few forwards.

Seider was projected to be a mid round pick and Detroit had him 3rd on their list. RHD are a hot commodity in the draft, because of the quality and quantity of that position. Wouldn’t surprise me if both Reinbacher and ASP are drafted above their projections rank.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

there is another direction they could go. trade boeser to chicago for switch of 1st bround picks and a second rounder, then trade that pick and the second for a player closer to their prime, at the position they need help in. owners are looking for a win now team.

That is definitely an option as well, similar to the Hronek deal, if they feel that would make them competetive, or to give them cap space, while improving the team. 
Only issue is the lack of real prospects coming through the system. 

Edited by spook007

I think my rankings are as follows, based on need and personal bias towards certain players.

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Carlsson

4. Michkov 

5. M.Wood  (if he makes progression in skating and able to make the transition to center, I think you have the steal of the 1st round)

6. W.Smith

7. R.Leonard 

8. D.Reinbacher 

9. D.Dvorsky

10. Sandin-Pellikka

11. O.Moore

12. Benson

13. N.Danielson

• Vintage 1

Reinbacher seems like the obvious choice, because Quinn needs a RD partner badly and some think he's the answer. But aren't there other defensive D, with size, who could also one day progress to be good enough?  Bonk, Willander, Dragicevic, Strbak, Allen and Gibson, to name a few RDs. I was watching a bit of the recorded World Champs tourny, and Reinbacher is pretty good, but he also looked awkward to me and lost the puck quite a bit in his own end. Is he that much better than every other RD?  I don't see this vast separation.

It's a Forward heavy Draft, Canucks need a C (but take the exceptional winger if there*)

Dvorsky

Leonard

Michkov*

Moore

Wood*

Benson*

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

there is another direction they could go. trade boeser to chicago for switch of 1st bround picks and a second rounder, then trade that pick and the second for a player closer to their prime, at the position they need help in. owners are looking for a win now team.

If you are suggesting not having a first or second round pick this year to cap dump Boeser and get a player closer to his prime, I don’t like that suggestion. We need to build the prospect pool and we will need guys on elc’s every year. The win-now approach has been a failure for a decade and left us a mediocre team with no cap and few prospects.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Reinbacher seems like the obvious choice, because Quinn needs a RD partner badly and some think he's the answer. But aren't there other defensive D, with size, who could also one day progress to be good enough?  Bonk, Willander, Dragicevic, Strbak, Allen and Gibson, to name a few RDs. I was watching a bit of the recorded World Champs tourny, and Reinbacher is pretty good, but he also looked awkward to me and lost the puck quite a bit in his own end. Is he that much better than every other RD?  I don't see this vast separation.

It's a Forward heavy Draft, Canucks need a C (but take the exceptional winger if there*)

Dvorsky

Leonard

Michkov*

Moore

Wood*

Benson*

I really like Strbak. If he pans out he looks to be an Erik Cernak type; a physical defensive top 4 D who isn't a black hole offensively but shouldn't be relied on for offense either. Reinbacher to contrast is more of a Pietrangelo (or Dobson) type; well balanced and good at everything but not dominant in any one area. Willander and Bonk fall more into the Reinbacher category but are further away from NHL ready. Both could be as good or better than Reinbacher but are a bigger gamble being farther off in their development. Allen's drastic offensive drop this year concerns me and Dragicevic is really more of an offensive Evan Bouchard type.

2 hours ago, KKnight said:

I think my rankings are as follows, based on need and personal bias towards certain players.

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Carlsson

4. Michkov 

5. M.Wood  (if he makes progression in skating and able to make the transition to center, I think you have the steal of the 1st round)

6. W.Smith

7. R.Leonard 

8. D.Reinbacher 

9. D.Dvorsky

10. Sandin-Pellikka

11. O.Moore

12. Benson

13. N.Danielson

I have basically the identical list, only on my list I swap spots with Wood and Benson. I hear what you’re saying about Wood and there’s definitely a lot to like there. 

Also I believe I had Sale in the 11 spot and Moore just below him. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/1/2023 at 1:30 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

I would disagree with you on the floor of Wood. He is already a pt/game player in the NCAA, I see no reason that he couldn't carve out a bottom six role with his size and smarts if he cant improve his skating. He could easily be 6'5 220 lbs in the NHL. He claims his greatest ability is making something out of nothing, which is something you would want from a bottom six.  

He has very good hands but he's a long term project.  He's spent most of his hockey playing centre.  There's a lot of promise but he's a gamble to project as a top 6. His floor is 3rd line right winger.  If a team puts in time to develop him and he works on his skating he could be a unicorn Tage Thompson type centre. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

If you are suggesting not having a first or second round pick this year to cap dump Boeser and get a player closer to his prime, I don’t like that suggestion. We need to build the prospect pool and we will need guys on elc’s every year. The win-now approach has been a failure for a decade and left us a mediocre team with no cap and few prospects.

i'm not advocating it, i'm just saying that canucks could go that direction. they talk about a quick turn around.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

He has very good hands but he's a long term project.  He's spent most of his hockey playing centre.  There's a lot of promise but he's a gamble to project as a top 6. His floor is 3rd line right winger.  If a team puts in time to develop him and he works on his skating he could be a unicorn Tage Thompson type centre. 

Ive been a big fan of his for a while now, and he has always exceeded my expectations. He has produced at almost record breaking numbers over the last three years in his respective leagues for his age group. Offensively I think he could put up similar numbers to someone like Brady Tkachuk if developed right.   

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, spook007 said:

He would be worth the gamble. The things I mentioned came from scouting reports, 

They seem to think they are question marks as well. 
If he was a sure thing with his size, he'd be top 5-6 even in this draft. 6'4+ big power forward with best goal scoring record in the NCAA as a 17 year old since Toews...

I'm on the Wood train as well. There are likely players with higher floors than Wood at 11, but the potential to be playing at 6'4-6'5 well over 200lbs they don't have...

To be honest, I find it very hard to decide, who to go for this year. 

Do we go for skill?

speed?

Dman or Forward?

Center? RHD?

Size?

highest floor or biggest potential?

Are they prepared to wait, or do they need someone to join the team soonest (cap). 
Boom/Bust?

Normally a few stands out, but there are so many this year, and they all look like can't miss... 

History tells us differently though...

I read scouting reports with a grain of salt and look at the date they were written and who wrote it. 

Out of curiosity who do you have with higher ceilings at 11 than wood? 

not just ranked ahead in your mind but with higher ceiling / top end potential 

56 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I read scouting reports with a grain of salt and look at the date they were written and who wrote it. 

Out of curiosity who do you have with higher ceilings at 11 than wood? 

not just ranked ahead in your mind but with higher ceiling / top end potential 

I'm not sure, who would be available at 11 with higher ceiling, but I said higher floor in my post. 

I don't really think there is anyone with higher ceiling than Wood. Maybe Benson, as he has huge potential. but I feel if it doesn't go entirely to plan, he may struggle with his size. players like Dvorsky, Leonard, Barlow would have a higher floor....

Regardless, if he is as close as it gets to become a 6'4+ power forward with silky mitts, and is expected not to have skating issues, I fail to see, why he would be there at 11. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 3

35 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I'm not sure, who would be available at 11 with higher ceiling, but I said higher floor in my post. 

I don't really think there is anyone with higher ceiling than Wood. Maybe Benson, as he has huge potential. but I feel if it doesn't go entirely to plan, he may struggle with his size. players like Dvorsky, Leonard, Barlow would have a higher floor....

Regardless, if he is as close as it gets to become a 6'4+ power forward with silky mitts, and is expected not to have skating issues, I fail to see, why he would be there at 11. 

Sorry haha I really misread your post Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha 1

It’d be interesting to see if Wood makes the jump to the NHL as soon as next season or if he goes back to college for at least another season.

So far, nothing about him returning another year of college.

Just now, R3aL said:

I don’t think he will make the jump right away.

i think he goes back to NCAA and plays C and has a big year with more responsibility, plays down the middle 

has 2 off seasons for strength and skating 

and makes the jump as early as next year 

Agreed. 

• Cheers 1