Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

I have But at 9 in this tier.

6 Reinbacher

7 Danielson

8 Simashev 

9 But

I have Wood sorta clumped into this group. Where I am very comfortable in saying each of them would complement our core and slide right into our top 6 but doesn't have to start there. 

10 Sale

11 Barlow

12 Leonard

13 Wood I'm good with Wood here as I've seen what Miller Pete can do with Brock and I think Wood would be a clear upgrade. 

My top 15 I feel safe to hit on all 15 of those picks. Sure there are always questions but I'm taking the guys with more answers. Other lists may have a greater appetite for guys like ASP, Benson, Perreault, Gulyayev, Dvorsky, Moore, Cristal. I'm not sure if their Hughes or Honka personally. Probably would have traded a small moon for Honka in 2015. 

Your 6-9 all has skating / size combos 

I feel similar in that I like a lot of these players top 15, confidently. 

i think we all liked honka too ya holy…

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I guess the main thing is I'm not sold on Wood's playmaking ability. Disclaimer here that I said the same thing about Byfield, McTavish, Gauthier in their draft years, and every one went much earlier in the draft than I had them ranked. McTavish I hadn't watched a ton and looks like I was just plain wrong about (in my defense I did start to come around on him late in his draft year after U18s). Gauthier i'm still hesitant about. And Byfield I just found him a little sluggish in his processing and reaction time with limited time and space. I would put Wood in the Byfield category. There's definitely some higher level creativity and play creation going on, but does it happen at high enough speeds to be effective in the high-danger areas that are so important for skilled centers in the NHL? I never doubted Byfield as a center because of his skating, I just didn't think he'll be quite on the level of center many fans and pundits seemed to think he would. Wood doesn't have Byfield's skating ability, and I'm just not convinced I see an NHL center. But is a little bit better skater and I also think processes the game at a slightly higher level. I'm not all that convinced on either But or Wood as a center, but I could see But as a center more than I could see Wood there.

In the games I’ve watched I’ve seen playmaking ability off the wall and off the rush. I like how he uses his reach and frame to give himself space to make a play and he’s doing it against more mature players in the NCAA.

And then when he was playing the u18s I thought his playmaking was even better. Ofc he was playing with macklin but their chemistry was amazing and he’s also a special player.

i personally like his playmaking ability and can’t wait to see what he does next season

• Cheers 3

45 minutes ago, R3aL said:

In the games I’ve watched I’ve seen playmaking ability off the wall and off the rush. I like how he uses his reach and frame to give himself space to make a play and he’s doing it against more mature players in the NCAA.

And then when he was playing the u18s I thought his playmaking was even better. Ofc he was playing with macklin but their chemistry was amazing and he’s also a special player.

i personally like his playmaking ability and can’t wait to see what he does next season

Yeah that's fair. Not the prospect I've focused on the most this year if I'm being honest, and "playmaking ability" can mean a lot of different things. It's not that I don't see him making high level plays, just that I find some of his decision-making in the middle of the ice to be a little sloppy, or to try to be more specific - lacking in foresight.

Edited by HighOnHockey

There are a few guys I think I am guilty of sleeping on. 

Tristan Bertucci 6'2 LD. What a season he's had. 17yo July B day scored 55 in 70 games to lead this OHL D draft class. He seems to have better 2 way play than Korchinski, Minty, Matey did while being within the realm of their offensive output. He's someone to keep an eye on. These rankings seem a tad low. Does he slip to the 3rd? Really???? 

Ranked #58 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #100 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON

Ranked #32 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Ranked #76 by SMAHT SCOUTING

Mazden Leslie 6'1 RHD Hopefully someone who watches the Giants can chime in on him. The speed and shot seem pro level could be one of Alvins difference makers in a late round.  

Bogden Konyushkov 20 yo RHD has put up very solid numbers 0.5ppg in the KHL its really hard to judge with these guys same for Asplund I believe they will both be drafted this year where, what round remains a mystery 

20 hours ago, hammertime said:

My one reservation here and I too feel that nervousness that Wood could flip the script and be a top 5 pick heindsight......... Is do I have Post Tkachuk stress disorder? 

Tkachuk would have bolted Vancouver as fast as he bolted Calgary.

that’s why I never wanted Matt, love Brady, but Brady has a different character.

Matt would not be liked by our fan base outside of hockey, he is too much like his father and Keith was the embodiment of and sour US player that screwed over a Canadian Team in the most arrogant fashion possible.

Matt forces a trade in a fashion that was entirely predictable.

He is a gifted player and a hard opponent, that I would rather cheer against than for, like Messier.

The Canadian Keith Tkachuk.

The chemistry is off, not the talent.

13 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

that’s why I never wanted Matt, love Brady, but Brady has a different character.

Matt would not be liked by our fan base outside of hockey, he is too much like his father and Keith was the embodiment of and sour US player that screwed over a Canadian Team in the most arrogant fashion possible.

Matt forces a trade in a fashion that was entirely predictable.

He is a gifted player and a hard opponent, that I would rather cheer against than for, like Messier.

The Canadian Keith Tkachuk.

The chemistry is off, not the talent.

Draft BPA on our scouts’ list. They are the ones who put in years following the prospects. Benning went a watched OJ play a few games in a tournament and then didn’t listen to his scouts. OJ was “his” guy so that’s who the club selected. 
Allvin encourages the scouts’ to be vocal and participate in making the team list. He understands what his role is. 

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Draft BPA on our scouts’ list. They are the ones who put in years following the prospects. Benning went a watched OJ play a few games in a tournament and then didn’t listen to his scouts. OJ was “his” guy so that’s who the club selected. 
Allvin encourages the scouts’ to be vocal and participate in making the team list. He understands what his role is. 

How would you describe Allvin's draft record with the Penguins?

Given Allvin's draft record with the Penguins and the Lekkerimäki selection in last years draft I have no expectations at all for this upcoming draft.

How would you approach this draft strategically assuming that you were Canucks GM?

look at their development staff. When the development staff don't get things done you go with the safest pick (Barlow or Danielson, maybe Moore).

Do you feel Canucks are in the position to take on another gamble and go with the prospect having more upside to prospects like Danielson or Barlow?

I won't get disappointed with the pick because I have no expectations at all. @VintageCanuck posted some pictures from the Canucks draft meeting. Just take a look at the faces of these people attending the meeting. What do you see when you look into their faces?

I see question marks, doubt and uncertainty in their faces. Look at Cammies face. What do you see?

Either there is a disconnect in type of information or the detail of information Cammie would expect and the scouts weren't able to meet or the provided information by scouts met their information needs but she still isn't sure what to make of this information.

The body language of these people in the room does not instill much hope once draft day comes.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Hard to say it’s believed that he and gaudreau both wanted out because of sutter ? But we’ll never know. One things for sure let’s hope aquilini learned something about overlooking other picks (tkachuk)  in favour of a local pick  ( virtanan).  I hope to god their not considering the puny local kid benson in this years draft. He’s sitting around 5 or 6. And that’s great, let some other team waist their pick on him. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Hard to say it’s believed that he and gaudreau both wanted out because of sutter ? But we’ll never know. One things for sure let’s hope aquilini learned something about overlooking other picks (tkachuk)  in favour of a local pick  ( virtanan).  I hope to god their not considering the puny local kid benson in this years draft. He’s sitting around 5 or 6. And that’s great, let some other team waist their pick on him. 

If Jim Benning was so weak to defer to the fan in the stands (Jerry Jones wannabe with significantly less sports knowledge than even that flawed individual), that says alot about his qualities as a NHL GM.

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Given Allvin's draft record with the Penguins and the Lekkerimäki selection in last years draft I have no expectations at all for this upcoming draft.

How would you approach this draft strategically assuming that you were Canucks GM?

look at their development staff. When the development staff don't get things done you go with the safest pick (Barlow or Danielson, maybe Moore).

Do you feel Canucks are in the position to take on another gamble and go with the prospect having more upside to prospects like Danielson or Barlow?

I won't get disappointed with the pick because I have no expectations at all. @VintageCanuck posted some pictures from the Canucks draft meeting. Just take a look at the faces of these people attending the meeting. What do you see when you look into their faces?

I see question marks, doubt and uncertainty in their faces. Look at Cammies face. What do you see?

Either there is a disconnect in type of information or the detail of information Cammie would expect and the scouts weren't able to meet or the provided information by scouts met their information needs but she still isn't sure what to make of this information.

The body language of these people in the room does not instill much hope once draft day comes.

Two stars for effort, but totally wrong. Allvin and JR built two Cup winners in Pittsburgh. Their mandate, like Burke and Hextal and now Dubas was to win the Cup while Crosby, Malkin, and Letang are there. JR and Allvin did exactly that - twice. 
You may think Lekkerimaki isn’t good, but our scouts had him at 7 last draft. He’s looking like a sure bet now to be a cross between Bossey and Marner. Steal  pick at 15. 
Msybe you have PBSD like many of us do? 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

It was Virtanen over Nylander and Ehlers. Tkachuk was taken after Juolevi.

Ok Guys, I am having a hard time firming up my top 10 

The top 5 is no problem...........but 6 through 10...........???????????

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Carlsson

4. Michkov

5. Smith

But then

Barlow, Benson, Dvorsky, Reinbacher, ASP.................all confuse me

Especially Benson

Then Danielson and Wood......I am getting just out side of top 10 vibs

Thoughts? Where does Benson fit into this?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

This is a silly post. Drafting is a team effort not just one man. It’s way to early to be that critical of our new regimes drafting record. 

You’re projecting your own negativity on to this. Feeling like you can read people and their emotions in pictures of a meeting is obnoxious. Correct me if I’m wrong but you sound like you have your mind made up already that this draft isn’t going to go well. That doesn’t sound like a fun way to go about things. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Two stars for effort, but totally wrong. Allvin and JR built two Cup winners in Pittsburgh. Their mandate, like Burke and Hextal and now Dubas was to win the Cup while Crosby, Malkin, and Letang are there. JR and Allvin did exactly that - twice. 
You may think Lekkerimaki isn’t good, but our scouts had him at 7 last draft. He’s looking like a sure bet now to be a cross between Bossey and Marner. Steal  pick at 15. 
Msybe you have PBSD like many of us do? 

44 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

This is a silly post. Drafting is a team effort not just one man. It’s way to early to be that critical of our new regimes drafting record. 

You’re projecting your own negativity on to this. Feeling like you can read people and their emotions in pictures of a meeting is obnoxious. Correct me if I’m wrong but you sound like you have your mind made up already that this draft isn’t going to go well. That doesn’t sound like a fun way to go about things. 

I get the impression @Wolfgang Durst has zero interest in a legitimate debate over the facts. He clearly has an agenda he's trying to push. But for those interested in the facts I will say this: he's not entirely wrong about Allvin's draft record in Pittsburgh though. At a glance it doesn't look good. But the biggest thing the haters are missing is how many first rounders Pittsburgh had during Allvin's time there. Looking specifically at the four drafts he was in charge of from 2018 to 2021, they only had one first rounder (22 overall, Samuel Poulin) - which, granted, is looking like a dreadful pick, but in his other three drafts their earliest pick was 53, 52 and 58. With those, Calen Addison is looking like an exceptional pick at 53rd overall. Jury is still out on Blomqvist and Broz. Filip Gustavsson in 2016 would have been primarily Allvin's pick as head of European scouting at the time. Took some time, as it does with goalies, but Gustavsson looking like a home run of a pick right now. Point is, I don't think anyone is going to say Allvin is one of the great scouting minds in recent history, but we just don't have enough concrete data yet to make a fair determination.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

At the Draft what I am hoping for is first that Michkov falls to 11 and Allvin turns into George Costanza in a fire on his way up to the stage to belt out his name ! After that there are so many good players that could go in any order I would be happy with any of the prospects that keep getting listed top 13ish .More happy if out side of Michkov or Benson they play center or RD 

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok Guys, I am having a hard time firming up my top 10 

The top 5 is no problem...........but 6 through 10...........???????????

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Carlsson

4. Michkov

5. Smith

But then

Barlow, Benson, Dvorsky, Reinbacher, ASP.................all confuse me

Especially Benson

Then Danielson and Wood......I am getting just out side of top 10 vibs

Thoughts? Where does Benson fit into this?

I would have Dvorsky, Reinbacher, and probably Danielson ahead of Benson, Barlow, and ASP. Leonard is 6 easily if not higher. I've been dropping ASP down to 13-15 myself. I have concerns he ends up being a tiny PP guy, either a #4 or #5 dman. Benson is a wildcard. I've heard he may have one of the highest hockey IQ's in the draft. That goes quite a ways when combined with his compete level. Definitely looks like a surefire player there.

Edited by Gawdzukes