The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Fantilli

3. CBJ - Smith (Jackets need a C and take the American)

4. SJ - Carlsson goes to Karlsson's team

5. MTL - Michkov (Habs get the Caufield bookend, Ovie is bummed)

6. ARI - Reinbacher

7. PHI - Dvorsky

8. WAS - Simashev (they got a Russian anyway)

9. DET - Benson (Stevie needs wingers, so he takes the best one)

10. STL - Leonard

11. VAN's choices - Willander, Danielson, Barlow and Wood

Detroit will take ASP. Yzerman needs a puck mover and pp QB. 

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Detroit will take ASP. Yzerman needs a puck mover and pp QB. 

Yeah, maybe Yzerman takes ASP?  But they do have decent D developing now. Going to be so interesting, I have no idea who VAN ends up with, but I have a feeling it's going to be Tom Willander.

9 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Sorry guys, another anti-ASP clip:

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Snuggerud is very good in all fairness but ya stripped and out muscled rough that moment in that game aha

ASP wasn’t the guy who got stripped off the puck. That was Sjoholm.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

And in quite a few cases after their number has never been called.

Just like the current winner of the Conne Smythe trophy. 

Just to be clear I am agreeing with you.

However as a caveat to that, any person that follows this sport knows that some teams are better at developing prospects, than others.

Tage Thompson

Jason Robertson

Jonathan Marchessault

The development process is extremely important I agree

• There it is 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yzerman needs a puck mover. He will take ASP. Can’t rely on Slo Mo. 

he could for sure I don’t know who they took out for dinners or who took ASP out for dinner that would be interesting 

20 minutes ago, shiznak said:

ASP wasn’t the guy who got stripped off the puck. That was Sjoholm.

I feel bamboozled! 

watched it far too quickly before responding to it.

wasn’t the best play by ASP but not that egregious

Coffee Cheers GIF by Holiday Inn Express

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Fantilli

3. CBJ - Smith (Jackets need a C and take the American)

4. SJ - Carlsson goes to Karlsson's team

5. MTL - Michkov (Habs get the Caufield bookend, Ovie is bummed)

6. ARI - Reinbacher

7. PHI - Dvorsky

8. WAS - Simashev (they got a Russian anyway)

9. DET - Benson (Stevie needs wingers, so he takes the best one)

10. STL - Leonard

11. VAN's choices - Willander, Danielson, Barlow and Wood  (didn't they take all of these guys out to dinner?)

The OEL trade and the departure of Myers within a year leads to several consequences: when Petey and Hughes are in their prime, we have a big dent in our cap space (almost 5 million) and need a few ELCs to compensate and be competitive; we desperately need taller and heavier D with OEL and Myers gone (see Vegas); we should pick at 11 rather than trade and the bpa may be tempered by the need to choose an elite prospect that will be ready to play in 2 years; we don’t use the draft to dump a bad contract with a sweetener as we are already cap compliant, but could use the cap space to take a bad contract for one year if we can snag a second round pick. Choosing a khl player may be too risky. Reinbacher if he’s available (unlikely) or Willander for a D.

I don't know if I can remember a year so many teams have multiple 1st round picks

1st overall CHI also picks 19th overall

4th overall SJ also picks 26th overall

5th overall MTL also picks 31st overall 

6th overall ARZ also picks 12th overall

7th overall PHI also picks 22nd overall

9th overall DET also picks 17th overall

10th overall STL also picks 25th & 29th overall 

15th overall NSH also picks 24th overall

And then on top of that

CHI has 4x second round picks (35, 44, 51, 55)

ANA has 3x second round picks (33, 59, 60)

SEA has 3x second round picks (50, 52, 57)

BUF has 2x second round picks (39, 45)

NSH has 2x second round picks (46, 47)

Hawks have more top 60 picks this year than the canucks have had in the last 5 drafts combined (including this year).  After having 5 picks in last years draft, you'd think CHI would be a willing to move out a pick or two for proven assets.  Would love to find a way we can grab another 30-60, there's going to be a lot of good players left in that range, Oliver Bonk, Beau Akey, Tanner Molendyk, Gracyn Sawchyn

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I'll be shocked if Simashev or any of the Russians go as early as 11, except for maybe Michkov. They weren't even allowed to go to the combine. No physical or medicals, and perhaps more importantly right now, no interviews. Apparently Russia won't even allow scouts to come in to watch games. I'm sure most teams have scouts who are Russian nationals based there, but even if your Russian scouts are raving about a player, how are you supposed to include them on your list without crossover? It's just video. Last year Danila Yurov should have been an easy top 15 pick by all accounts and he fell to 24. It may not be as much in the public conscious over here as it was last summer shortly after it started, but the situation hasn't really changed.

Cheers HoH... you are likely right, unfortunately, cause personally I'm desperate for us to draft a big, mean ( will learn in the NHL), nasty smooth skating stay at home Dman. 
I know, you normally draft them in the lower round, but we haven't exactly showered outselves in glory with our drafting past... a bit like power forwards. Big, Smooth skating players, that can lay the body. Supposed to be drafted in the lower rounds, but some how never by us...

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thinking, two different Ds.

Simashev vs Sandin Pellikka

One is big, physical, fast, relentless puck pursuit, and will win Cups one day. The other one won't. :ph34r:

Gagarin Cups maybe....:ph34r: No guarantee he even plays in NHL due to the current war. Things are going to get worse before they get better, I expect Russia will want step up efforts to limit the number of conscript aged males from leaving the country in the near future. Better off taking Willander than Simashev at this point.     

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Gagarin Cups maybe....:ph34r: No guarantee he even plays in NHL due to the current war. Things are going to get worse before they get better, I expect Russia will want step up efforts to limit the number of conscript aged males from leaving the country in the near future. Better off taking Willander than Simashev at this point.     

Gagarin Cups :lol: Good one!

Yes, you could be right. Millstein should be able to provide info to Allvin. I would feel more relaxed if the Canucks took Willander or Danielson, but if Simashev ever got to NA and stayed, he could be a beast.

1 hour ago, GunnerStaal said:

I don't know if I can remember a year so many teams have multiple 1st round picks

1st overall CHI also picks 19th overall

4th overall SJ also picks 26th overall

5th overall MTL also picks 31st overall 

6th overall ARZ also picks 12th overall

7th overall PHI also picks 22nd overall

9th overall DET also picks 17th overall

10th overall STL also picks 25th & 29th overall 

15th overall NSH also picks 24th overall

And then on top of that

CHI has 4x second round picks (35, 44, 51, 55)

ANA has 3x second round picks (33, 59, 60)

SEA has 3x second round picks (50, 52, 57)

BUF has 2x second round picks (39, 45)

NSH has 2x second round picks (46, 47)

DET has 3X second round picks (41, 42, 43)

1 hour ago, GunnerStaal said:

Hawks have more top 60 picks this year than the canucks have had in the last 5 drafts combined (including this year).  After having 5 picks in last years draft, you'd think CHI would be a willing to move out a pick or two for proven assets.  Would love to find a way we can grab another 30-60, there's going to be a lot of good players left in that range, Oliver Bonk, Beau Akey, Tanner Molendyk, Gracyn Sawchyn

Yep.  The Nucks really need to get that 2nd round pick back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Bob's final ranking is the most important list of the year. This one should be really interesting, wonder what surprised will be in store.

Maybe Honzek 

but curious to see where wallinder and bensonnn are on it 

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Bob's final ranking is the most important list of the year. This one should be really interesting, wonder what surprised will be in store.

Any word when his comes out? I feel he gets the widest insight on what teams are thinking and usually ends up the closest