The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

5 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Today is the day when a year's worth of debate, research and anticipation come down to 6 seconds of Alvin at the microphone.

Good GM's do their best work in the later rounds.

And this is the draft to do it, with those 5 3rd- 4th round picks.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I think that after watching Simashev break ankles and seeing Dan a Milsteins face, that the the Nucks think Simashev can play RD or LD.

His wing span will be pretty good, a lot of bigger D men with reach are universal defenders.

it’s the skating that I found amazing for such a large player. 

One description was ‘Skates like Hughes, defends like Tanev.’

I say, heck ya!

that’s the player I want this year.

Hear hear !!

To this oldtimer, he skates like Hedican, hits like Pronger 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Saw a Nashville-Vancouver trade rumour involving Fabbro and the 1sts. 

If VAN moves back to #15, who would they have in mind in that spot?

ASP

Honzek

Yager

Moore

Sale

?

Lets say we set a goal of a D?  Its the rumour...

But..., if Simashev, Willander, Reinbacher & ASP are gone? I believe at least one will be on the board at 15, probably Willander! Even then, if all gone one of the forwards we were targeting at 11 is available.  It's just the math.  

Matthew Wood, Colby Barlow & Nate Danielson.

That said I want something other than Fabbro to make the move down from 11 to 15.  I did a stats dive.  There is nothing wrong with any defensive stats, plays 17 minutes a night, mostly even strength, and mostly (55%) in his own zone.  Corsi is not great at 48%, but not horrible considering he is on a 3rd pair starting in his end.  3rd on the team in blocks, something v good if starting in your end, 4th in hits. The team has a good overall save % 0.928 while he's on the ice. Nothing wrong, but not a defensive whizz.  Not much I expected in most cases from Fabbro, drafted to be a PMD with a scoring touch, he had 11 points last year & a 4 year average of only 14 points?

The teams shooting % while he was on the ice was poor, they did not get out of their zone.  He is not physically imposing. Fabbro does not move the needle.

So if not Fabbro what?

I would take Evangalista or Svechkov. I don't think they bite.  They do have two second round picks, three each 3rd and 4th round picks.

If they offered their 2knd, #47 I probably take the deal. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Lets say we set a goal of a D?  Its the rumour...

But..., if Simashev, Willander, Reinbacher & ASP are gone? I believe at least one will be on the board at 15, probably Willander! Even then, if all gone one of the forwards we were targeting at 11 is available.  It's just the math.  

Matthew Wood, Colby Barlow & Nate Danielson.

That said I want something other than Fabbro to make the move down from 11 to 15.  I did a stats dive.  There is nothing wrong with any defensive stats, plays 17 minutes a night, mostly even strength, and mostly (55%) in his own zone.  Corsi is not great at 48%, but not horrible considering he is on a 3rd pair starting in his end.  3rd on the team in blocks, something v good if starting in your end, 4th in hits. The team has a good overall save % 0.928 while he's on the ice. Nothing wrong, but not a defensive whizz.  Not much I expected in most cases from Fabbro, drafted to be a PMD with a scoring touch, he had 11 points last year & a 4 year average of only 14 points?

The teams shooting % while he was on the ice was poor, they did not get out of their zone.  He is not physically imposing. Fabbro does not move the needle.

So if not Fabbro what?

I would take Evangalista or Svechkov. I don't think they bite.  They do have two second round picks, three each 3rd and 4th round picks.

If they offered their 2knd, #47 I probably take the deal. 

Yeah, I'm not sold on Fabbro either, they need size/snarl D partners for Hughes and Hronek. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Looking at the forward prospects, it's not terrible, there are some nice nice pieces.

Considering the state of the D, though, I think they need to select either: Simashev, Willander or Reinbacher. Surely at #11 they could get one of them. Unless, Michkov and Benson drop, which they probably won't, why draft a winger?  Same with Cs, maybe if they can't get Dvorsky, then take one of the Ds!!!

If all 6 of these players are gone, then take Danielson and develop the heck out of him.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, TGokou said:

I respect Buttons opinion but also don't know how he is projecting Simashev. Is it based on video? Based on points? Even though the points don't really show much he showed a much improved statistical profile in the latter half of the year and from short snippets of video I see a confident prospect who can dangle around players with his skating and puck handling abilities. Yes his shot is weak but is easily something he can work on plus he has frame to add power. To be totally honest his combination of size and skating is such a unicorn I almost don't see any way he doesn't become minimum top three defenseman. His potential to be a solid d man with 30-40 points is enough to justify an 11th overall pick. If he ends up being a Chris Tanev type player I'd still argue it's worth 11th overall 

Every defenseman that plays in the NHL it seems is rated based on points. This team needs a stud, period. Yes to a Tanev type player.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

High End Prospects

C - Raty

W - Lekkerimaki, Hoglander

D - 

G - Silovs

Passable as "should be pretty good" one day: Klimovich, Woo, D-Petey

Canucks need high end D developing

D Petey may not be a high end prospect but he is prob as high end as others you’ve listed 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

High End Prospects

C - Raty

W - Lekkerimaki, Hoglander

D - 

G - Silovs

Passable as "should be pretty good" one day: Klimovich, Woo, D-Petey

Canucks need high end D developing

I can see them ranking Willander or Simashev over Danielson and Barlow, unless of course if someone slips.

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Well I'm gonna probably miss the draft for a work BBQ. Hopefully they do good. One of Simashev, Reinbacher, Danielson would make me happy. 

Sounds like:

Wood / Danielson / Willander / Simashev are our likely targets 

I’ll be happpy with all of them 

sucks you’ll miss it but you might have more fun on days two with the deep dives you did on mid round targets this season

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looking at the forward prospects, it's not terrible, there are some nice nice pieces.

Considering the state of the D, though, I think they need to select either: Simashev, Willander or Reinbacher. Surely at #11 they could get one of them. Unless, Michkov and Benson drop, which they probably won't, why draft a winger?  Same with Cs, maybe if they can't get Dvorsky, then take one of the Ds!!!

If all 6 of these players are gone, then take Danielson and develop the heck out of him.

I support the Hronek trade, but this would be an awesome draft to have two 1sts in the 10-20 or -25 range: if the D you covet is there at 11, take him and add the best forward available later on; or if there's a prized centre on the board at 11, use the later pick for a D (like Bonk, who may be available after the other 4 are gone). 

Maybe there's still hope PA is able to pick up another 1st...

I think if Moore drops you have no choice but to pick him. We don’t have any burner prospects and unlike Benson I think realistically he will play C in the NHL. He would be a great prospect to have in the system. Speed is always and will always be valuable. Simashev or Willander are my picks for D. Step up at 11 and pick your guy. No need to get cute. 

side note: whoever picks Perron either with a late first or early second is getting one hell of a prospect. Kid is small but looks electric. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1