The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Drafting Willander also opens up the idea that finding a shorter term, veteran fit with Hughes is a viable path forward.

Willander will be our top pair guy in 5 years. Hughes might leave as UFA or get traded around that time. 

We're going to need a top pair shur down guy for Hughes asap. 

Willander will be 2nd pair RHD in 3 or 4 years. Too long for Hughes to wait. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

As it stands, this was the better pick for the organization. Love that he is taking the NCAA route. Benson would have made Lekkerimaki redundant or vice versa.

The draft's best playmaker for our sniper. Redundant.

Shoot me. 

1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

dad was a skills coach too

hes got the tools to be a big min munching d man

That bodes very well. Worked out for the Hughes brothers…

18 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

Wonder why Oliver Moore dropped so much. He's supposed to be a center with great potential?

read a couple times now that he can’t do everything at speed…possible he doesn’t put it altogether 

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Juolevi was a consensus top 10 pick and was projected to be very similar to Willander in terms of type of defenseman.

Exactly...people need to get over a prospect who had 2 major injuries and surgeries after being drafted as well as other assorted injuries. I don't expect Management to be clairvoyant.

Feel free to beat Benning as much as needed about Virtanen although, I believe he was widely considered the consensus pick on this board as well...

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

But alas, we can agree to disagree. Why do you think he wasn't putting up points against men? I'd like to hear your opinion on this. 

He was playing on a team that was in a relegation battle for most of the season and his minutes were limited.

They were giving their vets the bigger minutes.

Ok maybe I'm reading too much that he's slick choosing to take the NCAA route to get used to the North American ice. But the radio interview on 650, he sounds sharp, and not just canned responses. You could hear the smile through the radio. Is it too much to dare to dream we have a future Captain, or at least Alternate Captain in the future. Just don't get injured, hurt or anything kid. I really like this pick now. (I would have been happy with Wood, but Wallinder is a solid choice)

• Cheers 1

Here's how CDC looks at our first round picks in hindsight...

Canucks make solid selection.

Next day, solid selection gets run over by a herd of Water Buffalo and can never play again.

CDC "FIRE THE GM, I KNEW HE SHOULD HAVE PICKED SOMEONE ELSE..."

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

That is quite provocative and a clear signal is it not ? You know you are getting drafted by a bright red team and you wear Canuck blue ?

I’m not sure he was sending any message however he didn’t exactly looked thrilled about being summoned to the stage by Chicago.