The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best / Worst concert?

nuckin_futz

46 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

great band , have 5 or 6 albums from NFX. sadly never saw them live

It was more that song related to the story you told about going to gigs.

That was Mike talking about going to gigs in the early to mid- eighties in California.

I never realised how violent they were until I read NOFX's biography.

It is written from the perspective of all four band members, so like all eyewitness statements, each chapter is slightly different.

44 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

It was more that song related to the story you told about going to gigs.

That was Mike talking about going to gigs in the early to mid- eighties in California.

I never realised how violent they were until I read NOFX's biography.

It is written from the perspective of all four band members, so like all eyewitness statements, each chapter is slightly different.

watched a docu bout punk movement some month ago. part 2 was about american hardcore punk .... bad brains , black flag and and and ... also showed some of the brutal gigs there. fights and stuff ... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

watched a docu bout punk movement some month ago. part 2 was about american hardcore punk .... bad brains , black flag and and and ... also showed some of the brutal gigs there. fights and stuff ... 

Saw DOA and Black Flag many MANY moons ago.....the good ol' Smiling Buddha.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Supertramp 1979?  Was that at Empire stadium?  A friend and I were riding the Zipper at Playland - and it broke down whilst we were at the top - for 30 minutes we got to watch Supertramp from up there - was fantastic!

I saw them back then.

Also...remember Summer Sundays? They were at Empire Stadium back in the day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Supertramp 1979?  Was that at Empire stadium?  A friend and I were riding the Zipper at Playland - and it broke down whilst we were at the top - for 30 minutes we got to watch Supertramp from up there - was fantastic!

Nope, it was in Montreal, Jarry Park. Sounds like you had the best seats for a half hour.:metal:

• Cheers 2

First Concert: some country artist Paul Brandt or something 

Last Concert: Megan Thee Stallion (Razzmatazz Barcelona) June 2022

Best Concert: Flaming Lips w/ Modest Mouse at the Plaza of Nations 2004?

Worst Concert:  Rza (Starlight Room Edmonton) 2009?  He was on super late and ended super early because a giant brawl broke out in the audience. He was good...the crowd not as much.

Loudest Concert: Sun O)))

Seen the Most: Of Montreal or The Hidden Cameras

Most Surprising: Tame Impala or Mechanica popular 

Next Concert: Pet Shop Boys? I might see something in between now and then.

Wish I Could Have Seen: Olivia Tremor control, or  the Silver Jews. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

First Concert: Supertramp 1979

Last Concert: Tool
Best Concerts: The 1982 US festival (So many great artists) 1985 Miles Davis with John Scofield and 1988 Frank Zappa
Worst Concert: The 1982 US festival (DON'T EVER DO JIMSON WEED KIDS):sick:
Loudest Concert: AC/DC 1980 and 81
Seen the Most: The Grateful Dead
Most Surprising: Pat Benatar
Next Concert: Nothing on the calendar right now:unsure:
Wish I Could Have Seen: Led Zeppelin (Bought a ticket to see them in Montreal two weeks before John Bonham passed)

I didn't catch them until 1983 at BC Place.  lol, the backup/warmup act was Bryan Adams.:lol:  There was a opening act for the opening act as well!  Old timers might recognize the band though.  It was the Payola$.  Many more are likely familiar with that bands guitarists later work as music producer for a number of Metallica's albums (The Black Album, Load, Re-Load and unfortunately St Anger).  Bob Rock.

Man the acoustics seemed awful to me in that old dome....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I didn't catch them until 1983 at BC Place.  lol, the backup/warmup act was Bryan Adams.:lol:  There was a opening act for the opening act as well!  Old timers might recognize the band though.  It was the Payola$.  Many more are likely familiar with that bands guitarists later work as music producer for a number of Metallica's albums (The Black Album, Load, Re-Load and unfortunately St Anger).  Bob Rock.

Man the acoustics seemed awful to me in that old dome....

Bob Rock and Paul Hyde.  May have been one of the most under-rated duos of all time.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:
First Concert: April Wine
Last Concert: Blues Fest Byron Bay *
Best Concert: Stevie Wonder
Worst Concert: Bob Dylan
Loudest Concert: Judas Priest
Seen the Most: Steve Miller
Most Surprising: Daniel Lanois
Next Concert: Tame Impala
Wish I Could Have Seen: Duane Allman         > HM Queen with Freddy!

Copy the post and fill in your answers.  

* Had 5 day pass; last act for me was Pete Murray!
  Reveal hidden contents

Saw Cat Empire, the Wailers, Midnight Oil, Paul Kelly, Xavier Rudd, Missy Higgins, Ian Moss (guitarist Cold Chisel), The Angels, The Living End (Best of Show), John Stevens (80's band Noiseworks), Jimmy Barns, The Church, Kasey Chambers, Baker Boy, Ash Grunwald, The Teskey Brothers, Fiona Boyes, Roshani, part of Diesel, Crowded House, Christone ''Kingfish'' Ingram, missed Jon Butler (oii, an all time fave, my wife wanted to see Jimmy Barnes. She came, so did not pass on doing things with her), Pete Murray.

I am sure I missed someone? 

No shows for two years; it was wet and rainy, the fields full of mud.  I went nuts; OD'd on music.  My family went with me, the ultimate Dad vacation!  

Took my daughters to see Midnight Oil & Crowded House.  I took my late father to see them both in Winnipeg 35 years ago, which was special for us; went again to recreate the event.  Soooo nice! 

Call me a homer, but U2, one of my favorite bands of all time, wouldn't be U2 without Daniel Lanois...Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby...Peter Gabriel as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1st- Alice Cooper, Pacific Coliseum 1972

Billion Dollar Babies tour

Supertramp at least 5 times including 1974 at Queen Elizabeth Theatre for release of Crime of the Century album

Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour. KC & Sunshine Band backed up.

Genesis x 2

Yes x2

Queen x2 ( all in mid 70s)

Jethro Tull

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - Feb 14 1974 Brain Salad Surgery Tour, Pacific Coliseum. ABSOLUTELY THE BEST in every respect.

Heart x 2

Dr. Hook

Moody Blues

Aerosmith - the worst, mid 70,s , they were all wasted.

Pink Floyd x3

Roger Waters at the Gorge in Wa. State

Excellent show

Led Zeppelin July 17, 1977

Seattle Kingdome, no longer in existence. Was the 2nd or 3rd last North American show they ever did. Robert’s son died several days after the Seattle show and the band packed it in and returned to England. Over all concert experience was incredible , definitely the loudest, our ears rang for hours after. Huge crowd outside waiting for gates to open , just a sea of people , 70,000 plus. American police on horseback riding through crowd beating people with billy sticks, To see John Bonham play Moby Dick was an experience. Page was wasted on smack.

Cars x2

Little River Band

Ted Nugent

Boston

ACDC

Deep Purple circa 73/74

CSNY

The Who x 2 - one concert at Pacific Coliseum was a lottery draw for tickets due to high demand.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse

Late 60’s and the entire 70’s was such a phenomenal era for music . The concert experiences were entirely different than they are now. Todays experience cannot hold a candle to how it was in the early 70’s. Anything goes was an understatement, 

I saw a lot of bands and have certainly forgotten some of them. Always enjoyed the summer time gigs at Empire Stadium. Usually featured about 5 or 6 bands. I remember Nick Gilder being booed off the stage immediately as he tried to play Hot Child in the City. The crowd wanted Supertramp. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

The majority of mi e are punk, metal and hardcore bands.  
You guys might know a couple, but probably not a lot. 

First Concert:  Belvedere 
Last Concert: A Wilhelm Scream
Best Concert: Refused at Punk rock Bowling in Vegas 
Worst Concert: Great Big Sea
Loudest Concert: They are all loud in Punk and Metal. 
Seen the Most: Choke.  I love them!
Most Surprising:  PEARS
Next Concert:  Propagandhi and Choke 
Wish I Could Have Seen: Small Brown Bike 
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Led Zeppelin July 17, 1977

Seattle Kingdome, no longer in existence. Was the 2nd or 3rd last North American show they ever did. Robert’s son died several days after the Seattle show and the band packed it in and returned to England. Over all concert experience was incredible , definitely the loudest, our ears rang for hours after. Huge crowd outside waiting for gates to open , just a sea of people , 70,000 plus. American police on horseback riding through crowd beating people with billy sticks, To see John Bonham play Moby Dick was an experience. Page was wasted on smack.

I was at that show too, on the floor.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I was at that show too, on the floor.

Here’s the show. Zeppelin played for over 3 1/2 hours straight. Only break the band had was when Bonzo played Moby Dick, Video doesn’t do the show justice. You had to be there to understand… it’s a piece of R&R history. I have so many stories and memories of that experience, 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2