The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Line combinations for 2022-23

Rate this topic

Googlie

Really hope DeKeyser doesn't make it or it shows how bad our defence is.

I hope Bruce sticks with 3 solid scoring lines the way they've lined up - Petey with Mikheyev and Kuzmenko is exciting but going to expose us at times defensively, Miller with Pearson and Brock is a solid all-around line, and Bo with Podz and Garland is a great all around 3rd line who will win a lot of matchups against weak 3rd lines.

I get that Hoglander is not great defensively and we don't need another scoring winger so I hope he checks and plays hard in training camp to win a roster spot over Dickinson, but at the end of the day if Joshua, Lazar and Dicky are better physically and defensively then they deserve the 4th line spot over Hogs sadly, and he can be a top 9 call up.

Defensively we're a mess with a lot of questions to answer. I hope Dermott gets a shot at a top 4 spot because he's so versatile but really hope Rathbone and Schenn stick as a 3rd pairing. It all depends on how Hughes fares on the right. 

19 hours ago, Jester13 said:

"This is the year." - Boeser 

I hope so too, as he will surely be traded if he has another disappointing year - especially given how much he's now getting paid.    Fingers crossed he not only gets more points but actually does more than be a "one trick pony" being a shooter only and starts to backcheck, make some hits, create some plays and get more involved instead of standing still 17.5 feet from a 12 degree position from the left side of the net on power plays and taking "one timers".    Surely he can do more than that!

Edited by RU SERIOUS

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I hope Bruce sticks with 3 solid scoring lines the way they've lined up - Petey with Mikheyev and Kuzmenko is exciting but going to expose us at times defensively, Miller with Pearson and Brock is a solid all-around line, and Bo with Podz and Garland is a great all around 3rd line who will win a lot of matchups against weak 3rd lines.

I get that Hoglander is not great defensively and we don't need another scoring winger so I hope he checks and plays hard in training camp to win a roster spot over Dickinson, but at the end of the day if Joshua, Lazar and Dicky are better physically and defensively then they deserve the 4th line spot over Hogs sadly, and he can be a top 9 call up.

Defensively we're a mess with a lot of questions to answer. I hope Dermott gets a shot at a top 4 spot because he's so versatile but really hope Rathbone and Schenn stick as a 3rd pairing. It all depends on how Hughes fares on the right. 

Depends on which version of DeKeyser we’re getting.

If it’s the recent version, hobbled by injuries, lacking mobility, etc, then yeah, him making the team in any significant role would signal our defence being truly awful.

If somehow he’s really gotten over the injuries, is back to skating the way he used to, has recovered his confidence, and has a new lease on life, then I could see him being an upgrade over several of our current bottom-4 options.

But I still think odds are he’s closer to version 1 than version 2.

At least without having the benefit of seeing him in person yet (the vid clips on Twitter aren’t telling me much).

It would be unusual for a 30+ year old player with a serious injury history and obvious decline in play to suddenly return to the type player he was in his 20’s and before all the injuries. Not unheard of, perhaps, but definitely not something I’d bet on happening.

I’m definitely hoping for version 2, though. That’s a player I’d happily add to our D group.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think you are over rating a lot of our fringe d men.

I think, if he's healthy, this is DeKeysers spot to lose, contract or no contract

He is an established NHLer

He has also played his entire career on a terrible RedWings team

I've said this before in the training camp thread, I can see Dekeyser with us being similar to Tanev in Calgary.

Both college fa signings who were injury prone, both shut down D,

Tanev has become much less Injury prone on Calgary, let's hope DeKeyser has a career rejuvenation here.

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs

36 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I hope so too, as he will surely be traded if he has another disappointing year - especially given how much he's now getting paid.    Fingers crossed he not only gets more points but actually does more than be a "one trick pony" being a shooter only and starts to backcheck, make some hits, create some plays and get more involved instead of standing still 17.5 feet from a 12 degree position from the left side of the net on power plays and taking "one timers".    Surely he can do more than that!

I disagree with your assessment of Brock. I don't think he's ever been a "one tricky pony" and only scores from one spot on the PP. Brock scores from basically everywhere, and outside of last year - where he clearly struggled with family issues - he's consistently been one of our best forwards. He has an underrated playmaking ability to go with his elite shot and is strong in board battles.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I disagree with your assessment of Brock. I don't think he's ever been a "one tricky pony" and only scores from one spot on the PP. Brock scores from basically everywhere, and outside of last year - where he clearly struggled with family issues - he's consistently been one of our best forwards. He has an underrated playmaking ability to go with his elite shot and is strong in board battles.

Yup, can't say he's a one spot PP guy, considering he's used as the net front guy now.

• Cheers 1

On 9/22/2022 at 11:31 AM, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

1a: Garland Miller Boeser

1b: Pearson Horvat Mikheyev

1c: Kuzmenko Pettersson Podkolzin

4th: Joshua Lazar Hoglander

Extra: Dickinson

1: Ekman-Larsson Hughes

2: DeKeyser Myers

3: Rathbone Schenn

Extras: Dermott Burroughs

Demko

Martin 

IR: Poolman

Looks pretty damn close to me.. Although Poolman is gonna cry seeing u pencil him in for IR when he's back healthy and skating... For now!

7 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I think you are over rating a lot of our fringe d men.

I think, if he's healthy, this is DeKeysers spot to lose, contract or no contract

He is an established NHLer

He has also played his entire career on a terrible RedWings team

I've said this before in the training camp thread, I can see Dekeyser with us being similar to Tanev in Calgary.

Both college fa signings who were injury prone, both shut down D,

Tanev has become much less Injury prone on Calgary, let's hope DeKeyser has a career rejuvenation here.

Agreed!! DeKeyser offers experience and leadership.. He maybe slower than before but he plays a physical game so he can complement Myers and make up for lack of size on left side from Rathbone.

On 9/22/2022 at 11:31 AM, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

1a: Garland Miller Boeser

1b: Pearson Horvat Mikheyev

1c: Kuzmenko Pettersson Podkolzin

4th: Joshua Lazar Hoglander

Extra: Dickinson

1: Ekman-Larsson Hughes

2: DeKeyser Myers

3: Rathbone Schenn

Extras: Dermott Burroughs

Demko

Martin 

IR: Poolman

Swap Pearson for Hogz

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

10 defensemen fighting over 7? spots

Hughes, OEL and Meyers are locked in, so

7 d fighting over 4? spots.

Poolman

Dekeyser

Keeper

Burroughs

Rathbone

Schenn

Dermott

schenn is pretty much locked in whether he's the 2nd rhd or the 3rd rhd depending if they force one of hughes/oel to the right.. really ti's just poolman rathbone dermott keeper fighting for 2 spots + press box. dekeyser won't be offered a contract.. we don't really need him as a depth guy as he doesn't really move any needles

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, JM_ said:

sure there is. Dickie was in over his head as a 3C, but he was a very good checking winger for Dallas. Hog's isn't that, yet. 

Yea - that's fair. I didn't really mean by their ceiling, but more if we were looking at camp as a competition - last year's play didn't put Dickie ahead of Hoggie on the depth chart IMO. Definitely agree with you there's an argument to made that having two grinding players who can play C on the 4th line and both PK (Dickie, Lazar) has its appeal, but I also don't think players should be handed spots - so I do foresee Hoglander giving a number of forwards a run for their money and getting a chance in the top-12 through training camp.

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hoglander is going to need to impress Bruce this camp (pre-season) or he’s in Abby. 

I was convinced earlier this year that Hogz was going to have to start in Abby due to cap constraints.

However, he has shown (once again) that he is a big team forward on this team and I no longer believe he should be held back.

We can waive some others he has passed and save their cap (over the $1m floor) if they are not plucked off waivers.

He may not be that tall, but there is a lot of fight in that dog, he has bulked up, look at his neck in that interview for example.

(And he is always like a pit bull on a greyhound when matched against Petey in the drills.)

If there are flaws in his defense, I feel confident our coaches will help him bring that up to par.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, gurn said:

Poolman

Dekeyser

Keeper

Burroughs

Rathbone

Schenn

Dermott

Exactly this, if Poolman is healthy I think he has to be in the lineup, and Rathbone just has too much potential to waste another year in the press box or AHL. Then you have to have Schenn playing 15-18 minutes at the very least, and Dermott was very steady and played a lot last season, something's got to give. It all depends on how Hughes goes on the right in training camp:

If he does well on the right -

OEL - Hughes

? - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

That ? could be any lefty, but it'll most likely be Dermott or DeKeyser as Poolman's a more natural righty and Burroughs is nowhere near good enough.

Hughes on the left -

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Poolman/Dermott

Basically Poolman, Dermott and DeKeyser have to fight for a spot. I think Rathbone is in a separate window where he really should be thrust into the team and given an opportunity and if he fails, then he gets swapped out later, but you have to give an electric kid like him a chance. 

Personally I'd like to see what a healthy Poolman brings to the right side but don't have high hopes for him, but I really liked Dermott coming in because he states well, can defend well and hit well and makes a good pass, he's just not fantastic at anything, but can play either side so very useful. If DeKeyser somehow out-competes those two then fair enough but I doubt he will. Keeper and Burroughs must surely be on the outside looking in.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hoglander is going to need to impress Bruce this camp (pre-season) or he’s in Abby. 

Sadly I think this is true and purely because Hoglander played like a top 9 scoring winger with grit. Problem is that we have some great top 9 scoring wingers now, Mikheyev basically does what Hoglander does but much better. The only available spots are really on the 4th line and without a 3rd checking line, we need good PKers and defenders on our 4th line.

My question then is - is Hoglander's defence and speed good enough for the PK over Joshua or Dickinson? I'd say yes but this training camp will determine that.

Otherwise he'll be (rightly so) on the AHL top line and called up if and when we get injuries to our top 9 wingers. 

All that being said, Bruce said Hoglander is the best player at training camp right now so you have to start him. I can see someone like Garland losing a spot to Hoglander if he continues this.

10 hours ago, gurn said:

Poolman

Dekeyser

Keeper

Burroughs

Rathbone

Schenn

Dermott

I would imagine they will have 8 on the roster. 

It is great defensive depth but just not enough top end guys.

Dekeyser is in tough as PTOs rarely make it… but it adds to the fight.

OEL-Hughes

XX-Myers

XX-Schenn

XX-XX

That is how I see the open spots, assuming one of Hughes or OEL can play the right side.

My initial bet is three of those spots have players pretty much pencilled in with Poolman, Dermott, and Rathbone.  I think Rathbone has to play himself off the team in preseason rather than fighting for a spot.

One open roster spot for Dekeyser, Burroughs, Keeper.  I probably say Keeper will go down to the AHL as he hasn’t played in a long time.  Just because of contract status, I say Burroughs over Dekeyser.

OEL-Hughes

Dermott-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Burroughs-Poolman

Rathbone can’t sit on the bench for long stretches, but I could see him being rotated out every third game or so to keep him sharp and get extra practice time.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Provost said:

I would imagine they will have 8 on the roster. 

It is great defensive depth but just not enough top end guys.

Dekeyser is in tough as PTOs rarely make it… but it adds to the fight.

OEL-Hughes

XX-Myers

XX-Schenn

XX-XX

That is how I see the open spots, assuming one of Hughes or OEL can play the right side.

My initial bet is three of those spots have players pretty much pencilled in with Poolman, Dermott, and Rathbone.  I think Rathbone has to play himself off the team in preseason rather than fighting for a spot.

One open roster spot for Dekeyser, Burroughs, Keeper.  I probably say Keeper will go down to the AHL as he hasn’t played in a long time.  Just because of contract status, I say Burroughs over Dekeyser.

OEL-Hughes

Dermott-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Burroughs-Poolman

Rathbone can’t sit on the bench for long stretches, but I could see him being rotated out every third game or so to keep him sharp and get extra practice time.

I agree with this at the moment - could see Rathbone leapfrog Dermott, esp. as he did show limited chemistry with Myers before - but he'll have to play his way up, first two days of camp seem promising for him to do so.

I liked Burroughs play last year as a depth guy, and sounds like Dekeyser is still having some troubles keeping up with play as of day 2. I do hope Keeper gets a chance at some NHL action this year, but I agree with you he'll probably start in the A based on his contract vs. Burroughs.

I think we'll see something like this, as others have mentioned:

Pearson - Miller - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev/Podkolzin

Garland - Horvat - Mikheyev/Podkolzin

Joshua/Hoglander - Lazar - Dickinson 

Lockwood

Hoglander could also move up to the top line with JT and Pearson can be moved down to the 4th line. Joshua would then be a healthy scratch. The nice thing with Hogz is that he's versatile and can slide in with any of the top 3 centres with ease.

Our d-pairings are fairly self explanatory assuming Hughes works out on the right side:

OEL - Hughes

Dermott - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn/Poolman 

We're still lacking a quality top 4 defenseman whether it's on the left or right. (Ideally right)

Demko

Martin 

Silovs or DiPietro as the 3rd stringer and injury call-up. 

Overall I'm liking what I see. Our forward group could use a little bit more bite and our defense, mind you not great, can get the job done on most nights. Boudreau was able to improve our overall team defense and brought down our goals against number since taking over from Green. 

Edited by buddyguy