The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Analyzing and ranking how the Canucks’ defence currently stacks up against the rest of the Pacific Division

Rate this topic

Drive-By Body Pierce

Edmonton definitely needs to be at the very bottom.  Nurse is literally the only actual NHLer they have in their blueline, and he still isn't very good defensively and refuses to play like a man.  A right side that includes pylons like Bouchard and Barrie puts them in the running for the worst D group in the history of the league.

• Haha 1

If Hughes - OEL gets tried and ends up being a viable pair, I wonder if that changes our depth ranking? How does the depth chart compare? I think a side-by-side comparison between the teams works too. 

Left: Hughes, OEL, Dermott (switch), Rathbone, Burroughs (switch) 

Right: Myers, Schenn, Juulsen 

Or: 

Left: Hughes, Dermott, Rathbone, Burroughs

Right: OEL (switch), Myers, Schenn

That left side looks thin after Hughes if OEL switches but there is potential if Rathbone or Dermott can pick things up. That right side, while old for my tastes, doesn't look too bad ability wise compared to our divisional counterparts. 

Divisional Depth Charts by side: 

Spoiler

Vegas LHD: Hague, McNabb, Martinez, Hutton

Vegas RHD: Pietro, Theodore, Whitecloud

Calgary LHD: Hanifin, Weegar, Kylington, Valimaki

Calgary RHD: Andersson, Tanev, Zadorov

Edmonton LHD: Nurse, Kulak, Broberg, Koekkoek

Edmonton RHD: Ceci, Bouchard, Barrie

LA LHD: Anderson, Bjornfot, Edler

LA RHD: Doughty, Roy, Durzi/Walker (when healthy)

Seattle LHD: Dunn, Oleksiak, Soucy 

Seattle RHD: Larsson, Schultz, Borgen, Fleury

Anaheim LHD: Fowler, Vaakanainen, Benoit, White, Mahura

Anaheim RHD: Drysdale, Klingberg, Shattenkirk 

San Jose LHD: Ferraro, Simek, Nutivaara, Megna

San Jose RHD: Karlsson, Vlasic, Benning, Merkley 

Ranking LHD combining star-power and depth after OEL switches: 

Spoiler

1. Calgary

2. Vegas

3. LA 

4. Vancouver (switch with LA if OEL on left side)

- - - - - - - - - - -

5. Anaheim

6. San Jose

7. Seattle

8. Edmonton

Ranking RHD combining star-power and depth after OEL switches:

Spoiler

1. Vegas

2. Calgary

3. LA

4. Vancouver

5. Anaheim 

- - - - - - - - - - 

6. Edmonton (Vancouver drops to six if OEL on left side) 

7. Seattle

8. San Jose

I think it's fair to say this: We have a playoff-contender level forward group, a contender-championship level goalie, and a wildcard-level defense, although I do think we stack up better if OEL can play on the right side. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Teams know it and will exploit plays up the left wing or criss-cross into the middle and create space.  

Edmonton still somehow made the conference finals without a single NHLer on their right side.  It was atrocious and they definitely paid the price once they played a men's team, but our right side is nowhere near as bad as their AHL trash.  It'll be fine once they have a full season without Baumgartner sabotaging the group with his gross incompetence.

40 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Teams know it and will exploit plays up the left wing or criss-cross into the middle and create space.  

True. That’s why we still need to get a defencman who can play the right side before the season starts. I would be okay with Calvin De Haan. He’s an upgrade on most of our guys. Damon Severson would be a great add. I’m hoping we make a move for him. 

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True. That’s why we still need to get a defencman who can play the right side before the season starts. I would be okay with Calvin De Haan. He’s an upgrade on most of our guys. Damon Severson would be a great add. I’m hoping we make a move for him. 

That settles it, Miller for Severson+.

• Upvote 1