The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Locked on Kings" discuss Canucks

Rate this topic

Googlie

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At the end of the day the only way to accurately judge Boudreau's team is to look at the entire season as a body of work, which is what will happen this year. 

So why are you touting his record- if we need a full season to tell?

Seems unfair.

Under Bruce we had the 11th best wining percentage in the league, playing a whole pile of back up goalies, in game with minimal pressure on the Canucks as they were so far behind.

Then when they did  got close, they  lost.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

One injury to our blue line and we're done.  Edmonton has had a consistently injured top 4 defenseman for a few seasons.  If Edmonton loses Drasiatl they have McJesus.  if Edmonton loses mcJesus they have Draisatl.  If we lose Horvat, Pettersson, Miller, Myers, Hughes, OEL or Demko that's it.  That's our season.

Kuzmenko at 60 points stepping in to the league would have been good for 4th on our team for scoring.  

We are so tight to the cap if we sneeze we'll go over it.

I just don't get why people think we're going to challenge in our division without making the major changes we needed to.  

PK Subban at league minimum is still a 20-30 point RHD that isn't entirely awful defensively and would provide depth.  Not a terrible take at all, much spoken of in fact

We has several D injuries after Bouda came in (including Hughes) and the team just continued to win more than they lost. It would certainly be nice to have a right side upgrade and more depth. But a few injuries didn't seem as devastating last season as they were previous seasons.

19 minutes ago, gurn said:

So why are you touting his record- if we need a full season to tell?

Seems unfair.

Under Bruce we had the 11th best wining percentage in the league, playing a whole pile of back up goalies, in game with minimal pressure on the Canucks as they were so far behind.

Then when they did  got close, they  lost.

Where did I tout his record?  I stated his record was almost the same in April as it was in December.  Sure, the month of April had some meaningless games, that's the whole point.  Those games apparently don't count just like the first 6 games don't apparently count either.  It works both ways.

We will see what happens this year.  No point in looking at his record from last year which has too many question marks to it...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

4 hours ago, gurn said:

Too many people have over rated the team's performance under BB.

As has been mentioned, a few time, but mostly ignored- the team had the 8th best record under BB- if you don't count the first 6 games of new coach bump.

This while playing with little pressure for most of those games, as they were so far out of a play off spot.

Then when they did finally get close to a spot, they would lose the games that mattered.

All while riding the back of a Vezina calibre season by Demko, and facing a whole pile of back up goalies.

Bingo!!

Canucks started Demko vs other teams backups (from Eastern teams).  If teams played their starter, the win/loss ratio may not be as good as you think.  Mind you some teams doing the west coast trip probably were playing back-to-back so may have started their backups against the Canucks anyways.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, BPA said:

Bingo!!

Canucks started Demko vs other teams backups (from Eastern teams).  If teams played their starter, the win/loss ratio may not be as good as you think.  Mind you some teams doing the west coast trip probably were playing back-to-back so may have started their backups against the Canucks anyways.

Most of the other team's pundits have us in playoff contention.  

Nobody is saying that we will win the division but we should be 50/50 to make the playoffs this year.  

Pacific got worst. We play Pacific more then any other division. I would put our over/under at 96.5 points. 

36 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Nobody is saying that we will win the division but we should be 50/50 to make the playoffs this year.  

Pacific got worst. We play Pacific more then any other division. I would put our over/under at 96.5 points. 

Canucks should be in the wildcard mix.  Maybe lock up 3rd spot if they are lucky.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'd argue that the Pacific got better.  The Central got worse though.

Edmonton, Calgary, LAK, Seattle and Anaheim look improved as well as Vancouver.  Vegas is the unknown. 

Nashville improved in the Central.  Colorado, Minnesota, St Louis look worse.  Chicago joins Arizona in tanking. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Where did I tout his record?  I stated his record was almost the same in April as it was in December.  Sure, the month of April had some meaningless games, that's the whole point.  Those games apparently don't count just like the first 6 games don't apparently count either.  It works both ways.

We will see what happens this year.  No point in looking at his record from last year which has too many question marks to it...

I think its possible some people don't want the team to be competitive as its currently constructed.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Edmonton will be the same, Calgary will be similar if not a tiny bit worse (only owing to their D and Marky getting older), LA will be MUCH better (young D and goalie get better, Kempe and Byfield make their top 6 much better), Vegas will be much worse, Anaheim will be a tiny bit better but San Jose will be the same.

As for the Canucks, right now we're better offensively by a long way (two new top wingers, Petey hopefully good from the get-go), the same if not worse defensively (no new blood and old guys will only get slower) but in goal we'll be much better (Spencer will steal some games and keep Demko rested).

That being said I think Edmonton will win the division, LA a solid 2nd and the Canucks and Flames will duke it out for 3rd but hopefully we can snag a wild card spot at the least.

Calgary all alone 1st place.Calgary add #2 D man Weeger, Huberdeau 88-92  point winger , Kadri 68-75 point centre

1. Calgary  2. Edmonton  3. Vancouver / LA Kings - 5th Vegas

17 hours ago, Googlie said:

My feeling is:  our start will shape our season.  The first 10 games are the key

Start 8 - 2 or better, and we win the division

2 - 8 or worse, and we miss the playoffs 

The barometer has usually been around American thanksgiving (~20 game mark). There's been a stat that's always thrown around over the years that ~80% of teams who have a playoff spot by American Thanksgiving end up keeping it.

8 hours ago, mll said:

I'd argue that the Pacific got better.  The Central got worse though.

Edmonton, Calgary, LAK, Seattle and Anaheim look improved as well as Vancouver.  Vegas is the unknown. 

Nashville improved in the Central.  Colorado, Minnesota, St Louis look worse.  Chicago joins Arizona in tanking. 

Anaheim is not improved. Don't forget all the players they sold off last year (Lindholm, Rakell, Deslauriers), Getzlaf retiring, etc.  

Edmonton is my favourite to win the division, agree there.  

Calgary will do worst then last year IMO, but I'm fine with calling them even. Despite adding Weegar, I don't think that Huberdeau and Kadri will offset losing the best line in all of hockey last year, and to a much much lesser degree Gudbranson. 

LA did get better, but they are still very reliant on guys in their mid 30s in Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Edler, etc... I'm actually really excited to go neck and neck with LA this year. I'll take our young guys over theirs, but they played such a good team game last season that it's hard to overlook. 

San Jose got worst.  

Seattle will be slightly better although they sold off some pieces last year at the deadline as well. 

Vegas got worst.  

That's my outlook. 

I think Seattle is flying under the radar myself.  Beniers, Wright, Bjorkstrand, and Burakovski should really support the likes of McCann, Schwartz, Eberle, Gourde, Wennberg… really not a bad top 9 with a tonne of potential if the back to back #1 ranked C prospects find their stride quickly.  I’d argue this could be the most improved team in the division. 

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Anaheim is not improved. Don't forget all the players they sold off last year (Lindholm, Rakell, Deslauriers), Getzlaf retiring, etc.  

Edmonton is my favourite to win the division, agree there.  

Calgary will do worst then last year IMO, but I'm fine with calling them even. Despite adding Weegar, I don't think that Huberdeau and Kadri will offset losing the best line in all of hockey last year, and to a much much lesser degree Gudbranson. 

LA did get better, but they are still very reliant on guys in their mid 30s in Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Edler, etc... I'm actually really excited to go neck and neck with LA this year. I'll take our young guys over theirs, but they played such a good team game last season that it's hard to overlook. 

San Jose got worst.  

Seattle will be slightly better although they sold off some pieces last year at the deadline as well. 

Vegas got worst.  

That's my outlook. 

Getzalf was so slow and was even given games off to rest.  Deslauriers brought intimidation but otherwise he was not worth regular shifts in Minnesota.  Rakell and Lindholm were not playing all that well.  Klingberg is going to be motivated and he was still one of the best transition players in the league.   Strome and Vatrano know that Anaheim is in a rebuild.  More speed should help their young players take a step.  Anaheim started really hot and then fell off - I see them better than what they showed at the end of the season.

Calgary seems better structured vs an overloaded top-line last season and their D-corps is better.  Backlund will likely drop to C3.  They should be stronger in moving the puck with Weegar over Gudbranson.  

Doughty and Edler both missed over 40 games.  It's their young Ds that held the fort.  Quick is in his last year.  Kopitar and Arvidsson only have 2 years left.  LAK has one of the better structures for a rebuilding team.  A strong pipeline and vets that can teach them the ropes/shelter them without being tied to those vets long term other than Doughty.

SJS is stuck but could be more taxing to play.  Grier added grit - says they were too soft.  NYR was a defensive mess under Quinn.

Vegas is the unknown without Lehner.   Still feels like the division has improved overall unlike the Central.  

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, mll said:

Getzalf was so slow and was even given games off to rest.  Deslauriers brought intimidation but otherwise he was not worth regular shifts in Minnesota.  Rakell and Lindholm were not playing all that well.  Klingberg is going to be motivated and he was still one of the best transition players in the league.   Strome and Vatrano know that Anaheim is in a rebuild.  More speed should help their young players take a step.  Anaheim started really hot and then fell off - I see them better than what they showed at the end of the season.

Calgary seems better structured vs an overloaded top-line last season and their D-corps is better.  Backlund will likely drop to C3.  They should be stronger in moving the puck with Weegar over Gudbranson.  

Doughty and Edler both missed over 40 games.  It's their young Ds that held the fort.  Quick is in his last year.  Kopitar and Arvidsson only have 2 years left.  LAK has one of the better structures for a rebuilding team.  A strong pipeline and vets that can teach them the ropes/shelter them without being tied to those vets long term other than Doughty.

SJS is stuck but could be more taxing to play.  Grier added grit - says they were too soft.  NYR was a defensive mess under Quinn.

Vegas is the unknown without Lehner.   Still feels like the division has improved overall unlike the Central.  

Okay let's put some numbers here... 

Edmonton 110 

Calgary 102 

Vancouver 98 

Vegas 97 

LA 95 

Seattle 80 

Anaheim 79 

San Jose 72 

15 hours ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

So? It's a discussion forum.

Let's hear your views then.

I don't think he was being condescending... This nearly made me spit my soup up as well ... 

On 8/23/2022 at 8:40 AM, 70seven said:

I know our D corpse is thin