The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I have seen very few people calling for a rebuild. So I don't remotely understand where that sentiment comes from. Certainly not me.

We have to finish this build. Same as we would with or without Miller.

Yes, exactly, it's very HARD to win a cup. And in the cap era, it's basically only been those top 5'ish teams who do win it. We're not presently one of those teams. Glad you agree we're not a contender presently.

Yes, we can (and likely will) trade one or two of our wingers for D. Likely packaged with a guy like Rathbone. And that's going to make for less depth, likely a lesser return, raise our average age, and save less cap. Those are the balances to be paid on the other side of that ledger. It's not all roses.

If who your hearing extends as far as this site, Sure. On any SM / opposing team forum there is a strong belief everyone sucks and we need to go back to ground zero

Everyone just has PTJBSD. Always afraid everything will go wrong haha

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Change your view of checking centre to the type of centre who matches up against the other teams scoring line

notable names

Bergeron

Toews

Kopitar

Kesler

Yzerman

Its a luxury to have your match up centre also be able to be a scoring centre

a checking centre in the classic sense would be more like malholtra/sutter/richardson. They are the types to play in the dzone and not offer a ton of offensive pressure 

Feel ya. I would personally rather see Horvat put into that position then Miller myself. More center experience and it's just always been the type of player I envisioned Horvat succeeding as. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh yeah by desperate I mean in a year or two if no other opportunities present themselves.

I think if we can somehow get Schenn off Hughes line he's a great partner who could make Rathbone successful from the get go. Dermott is a wildcard. I don't really know if BB would even play him on the second pairing. We'll see, who knows maybe Keeper makes the team.

yeah its hard to say with him, I'm hopeful but who knows if he can live up to his 2nd round pick status. Seems like he's shown good flashes of it over his career. 

If the Hughes-OEL thing is a thing, and Dermott fails, then we're at least looking to trade for a LHD for Myers which is a lot easier to get. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They couldn’t do any worse right now.

Thats a team that has lacked direction for a long time.

Yeah, to follow up, Attard.

Could we pry him out of there?

RONNIE ATTARD #47

Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersPhiladelphia Flyers

Right Defense
Cap Hit: $883,750
Daily Cap Hit: $4,751
Accumulated Daily Cap Hit Tooltip : $0
Remaining Daily Cap Hit Tooltip : $883,750
Estimated Career Earnings Tooltip : $301,250

BORN:Mar. 20, 1999
BIRTHPLACE:White Lake, Michigan, United States
NATIONALITY:United StatesUnited States
HEIGHT:
6'3"
191cm
WEIGHT:
205 lbs
93kg
SHOOTS:Right
ELC SIGNING AGE:23
WAIVERS SIGNING AGE:22
DRAFT YEAR:2019
DRAFTED OVERALL:72
DRAFT ROUND:3
DRAFTED BY:Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersPHI

freestar

SUMMARY

Ronnie Attard's salary is $925,000 and his cap hit is $883,750 for the 2022-23 season. His salary is comprised of $92,500 in signing bonuses and $832,500 in base salary. He is a 23 year old right defense who was born on Mar. 20, 1999. He was drafted 72nd overall by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 3rd round of the 2019 entry draft. He has signed 1 contract worth a total value of $2,700,000. Over a career that spans 1 season (with at least 1 NHL GP), he has a total 4 Pts in 15 GP. He will be a RFA at the end of the 2022-23 season when he is 24 years old.

CURRENT CONTRACT

ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT

SIGNED BY: Chuck Fletcher

LENGTH: 2 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: RFA
SIGNING TEAM: Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersPhiladelphia Flyers
VALUE: $2,700,000
C.H.% Tooltip: 1.08
SIGNING DATE: Mar. 29, 2022
SOURCE: CapFriendly

Ronnie Attard signed a 2 year, $2,700,000 contract with the Philadelphia Flyers on Mar. 29, 2022. The contract has a cap hit of $883,750.

SEASON CLAUSE CAP HITTooltip AAV Tooltip P. BONUSESTooltip S. BONUSESTooltip BASE SALARYTooltip TOTAL SALARYTooltip MINORS SALTooltip
2021-22   $883,750 $1,350,000 $82,500 $92,500 $750,000 $842,500 $70,000
2022-23   $883,750 $1,350,000 $850,000 $92,500 $832,500 $925,000 $70,000
TOTAL   $1,767,500 $2,700,000 $932,500 $185,000 $1,582,500 $1,767,500 $140,000

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I really like the upswing Uhaul Lamikko  had last season.

but we have gotten better,  … and it’s hockey, ..

Man, you know I loved Lammi.

The U-Haul Lammiko Truck Full of Nucks, etc.

Much as I love our new mngt, I still think they ripped the guts out of the push by trading Motter for beans several years down the road.

We coulda been somebody, se coulda been a contendah, etc.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

You're digging to deep into that. Not to mention the people who matter already told you the plan. JR said 2/3 years. All that dead weight we all complain about falls off for free in 2 years. That same off season we have 35+m capspace. EP and huggy are in true prime years. Demko probably as well. Entire top 6, top 2 D and G signed with about half the cap available. Whats the issue

They did say the plan, they also talked about getting younger to get players who fit that timeframe to compete for a long time starting then and having to make "unemotional decisions" this summer on Miller.

They signed Miller in the end, and if the plan is still to really be ready 2-3 years from now, then the current regime is as bad as Benning and the Miller signing was downright stupid as it goes against their plan.  I really hope that isn't the case.  The expected best years for Miller will be in that exact timeframe, with the downside likely starting 3-4 years from now (assuming he even keeps playing at his current level for the first half of his contract which we are just assuming to be the case).  We are just left "hoping" that Miller doesn't age like other players and can be one of those rare guys who can perform at top line production at 33-37 years old?

We don't have 35+ million in cap space that year because we have to sign current players to raises in between now and then.  That 36 million is only 9 players signed, no Petterson, no Bo, no Podkolzin, and only two signed D.

35 million in space by then....
Roughly...
- $7 million for Bo
- $9 million for Petterson
- $3 million for Podkolzin

Petterson-Miller-Boeser
Mikheyev-Horvat-Garland
Podkolzin-XX-XX
XX-Lazar-XX
XX

Hughes-XX
OEL-XX
XX-Poolman
XX-XX

Demko
XX

Fill all the XXs with $17 million dollars, it doesn't add up.  There isn't some magical world where things suddenly open up that season, we maybe have one prospect on an ELC in Lekkerimaki, the rest we are likely going to have to find on the free agent market and pay full retail rate for... including finding two top 4 RHD somehow

= $17 million left with only 14 players signed and another 10-11 players needing to be signed.  Those numbers are probably even pretty conservative as unfortunately that is exactly the timeframe that the cap is expected to make a big jump so bidding on free agents to fill the holes that we have no prospects to fill is going to be really expensive.  Maybe Rathbone is good enough and can be had for a $4 million bridge contract and save a couple million vs. a UFA top 4 D who will cost you $6 million.... but that still doesn't make the math work for us to suddenly start getting better. that is going to be treading water at best.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

I really like Podkolzin with Petey last year. And in my opinion Boeser is at his best with Petey.

Cheers! 

And, you're right.

Everybody's Better With Pettersson!

[Actually: post upgrade 2.1:]

It has been confirmed:

Every Thing Is Better With Elias Pettersson!

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

If who your hearing extends as far as this site, Sure. On any SM / opposing team forum there is a strong belief everyone sucks and we need to go back to ground zero

Everyone just has PTJBSD. Always afraid everything will go wrong haha

Were you quoting their posts? Because it looked like my post you quoted ;)

35 minutes ago, Provost said:

They did say the plan, they also talked about getting younger to get players who fit that timeframe to compete for a long time starting then and having to make "unemotional decisions" this summer on Miller.

They signed Miller in the end, and if the plan is still to really be ready 2-3 years from now, then the current regime is as bad as Benning and the Miller signing was downright stupid as it goes against their plan.  I really hope that isn't the case.  The expected best years for Miller will be in that exact timeframe, with the downside likely starting 3-4 years from now (assuming he even keeps playing at his current level for the first half of his contract which we are just assuming to be the case).  We are just left "hoping" that Miller doesn't age like other players and can be one of those rare guys who can perform at top line production at 33-37 years old?

We don't have 35+ million in cap space that year because we have to sign current players to raises in between now and then.  That 36 million is only 9 players signed, no Petterson, no Bo, no Podkolzin, and only two signed D.

35 million in space by then....
Roughly...
- $7 million for Bo
- $9 million for Petterson
- $3 million for Podkolzin

Petterson-Miller-Boeser
Mikheyev-Horvat-Garland
Podkolzin-XX-XX
XX-Lazar-XX
XX

Hughes-XX
OEL-XX
XX-Poolman
XX-XX

Demko
XX

Fill all the XXs with $17 million dollars, it doesn't add up.  There isn't some magical world where things suddenly open up that season, we maybe have one prospect on an ELC in Lekkerimaki, the rest we are likely going to have to find on the free agent market and pay full retail rate for... including finding two top 4 RHD somehow

= $17 million left with only 14 players signed and another 10-11 players needing to be signed.  Those numbers are probably even pretty conservative as unfortunately that is exactly the timeframe that the cap is expected to make a big jump so bidding on free agents to fill the holes that we have no prospects to fill is going to be really expensive.  Maybe Rathbone is good enough and can be had for a $4 million bridge contract and save a couple million vs. a UFA top 4 D who will cost you $6 million.... but that still doesn't make the math work for us to suddenly start getting better. that is going to be treading water at best.

Back in the Valley of the Dolls, we used to say, take a Valium.

Just relax, everything is going to be ok.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Back in the Valley of the Dolls, we used to say, take a Valium.

Just relax, everything is going to be ok.

Nobody is upset... are you having a bad day?  

You could always try adding actual content to threads rather than silly trite comments.  I know it is work, but hey... you can be better if you try a little.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Haha no.

You don’t sign a player to a 7 year deal just to trade him before the deal even kicks in. 

They signed this deal because they’re committed to him long term and he’s committed to the team.

You would be blacklisted by every agent if you pulled a move like that.

I disagree, it only becomes a blacklist situation if you disrespect a player. Just need to be honest i.e. mgmt hoped it would work, it didn't, time to move on and mgmt will do their best to move him to a team he is happy with.

If the team is a tire fire (or even average) and his new contract is the reason a franchise changing return is offered via trade then you do it. Worth the risk.

Forwards and goalie positions are strong - hopefully they can improve the defense by brining someone in or improving their systems...would rather see a playoff run and trading JT not be an option.

Just now, Provost said:

Nobody is upset... are you having a bad day?  

You could always try adding actual content to threads rather than silly trite comments.  I know it is work, but hey... you can be better if you try a little.

Are you always aflutter? 

I think you might could use some help with that.

Wow, months ago I thought you were 'salty' and now, ??

Did the Miller signing tilt you over?

I've had you on 'Ignore', so I haven't seen your stuff.

Are you ok?

Seriously.  Don't take it the wrong way.

3 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I disagree, it only becomes a blacklist situation if you disrespect a player. Just need to be honest i.e. mgmt hoped it would work, it didn't, time to move on and mgmt will do their best to move him to a team he is happy with.

If the team is a tire fire (or even average) and his new contract is the reason a franchise changing return is offered via trade then you do it. Worth the risk.

Forwards and goalie positions are strong - hopefully they can improve the defense by brining someone in or improving their systems...would rather see a playoff run and trading JT not be an option.

I would say that would be disrespecting a player if a player left money on the table to stay with your team. Otherwise they could have just gone to free agency, chose the team they wanted, and got more money.

Either way trading a player less than a year into signing them to a 7 year deal would be a major red flag. It would show a complete lack of a plan, and I’m thinking the rest of the team/fans wouldn’t be too confident in management.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2