The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

37 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Im not saying he is toxic or you or anyone in particular 

but the pro trade crowd approached the debate with such conviction and righteousness that this in and of itself created a toxic environment 

there were times when i was suggesting that it would be Garland who traded or Boeser and i would have multiple people insisting that those were terrible ideas and it was only ever to be Miller

The immediate dismissal of ideas that didnt support trading Miller is what was toxic. I felt that at times that if you werent in favour your point would be squeezed out of conversation 

Well said .. 

this.gif

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The year is 2029.

The Canucks have just missed the playoffs.

This thread has now reached 4,000 pages.

We are now debating whether or not to keep J.T. Miller for the final year of his contract.

At the same time, some members are still quoting posts from the year 2022 to prove their points.

Funniest post to date.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Maybe in years 4+ sure, but a ppg-99pt player should be put in a role for a ppg-99pt player first. 

Wasn’t Yzerman a 150 point player when Bowman explained the club need him to make the offensive sacrifice and to play a defensive role?  Maybe Bo could play that role, but he’s tried and just isn’t good at it.  Miller has the tools to be that Selke guy we so desperately need.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Wasn’t Yzerman a 150 point player when Bowman explained the club need him to make the offensive sacrifice and to play a defensive role?  Maybe Bo could play that role, but he’s tried and just isn’t good at it.  Miller has the tools to be that Selke guy we so desperately need.  

Bo not being good at it isn’t true at all though. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The year is 2029.

We are now debating whether or not to keep J.T. Miller for the final year of his contract.

At the same time, some members are still quoting posts from the year 2022 to prove their points.

And we are still suffering from the “Benning Effect”. 

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This is what they've said publicly,  however if changes aren't made with the defense personnel,  we could potentially (calm people, that means maybe) be looking at wasting multiple years of parts of this core's prime not to mention several years of the newly inked JT contract.   

They can't shed cap, they already tried as JR discussed. 

They can't make meaningful trades with defense,  they tried as JR discussed. 

We have virtually nothing in the minors worth waiting for to bolster blueline (Rathbone unknown notwithstanding).

As such, present situation leads strongly towards spending draft capital to both shed cap and bolster RHD (maybe they swing a hockey trade involving a winger for a rhd, but if that was possible it would've likely already happened,  no?).  Otherwise we're simply status quo hoping 2 unknown Russians can be difference makers and Demko can withstand an entire season of getting shelled on a nightly basis. 

I'm guessing one of Boeser/Garland packaged with Rathbone.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Is Miller, who just scored 99 points, best used as a checking center? 

Change your view of checking centre to the type of centre who matches up against the other teams scoring line

notable names

Bergeron

Toews

Kopitar

Kesler

Yzerman

Its a luxury to have your match up centre also be able to be a scoring centre

a checking centre in the classic sense would be more like malholtra/sutter/richardson. They are the types to play in the dzone and not offer a ton of offensive pressure 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Deb said it pretty perfectly, can’t be called blind kool aid drinkers for believing he’d stay and not giving some back when he does. I’m going to dish it out as much as I take it and rightfully so. 

This will never be a kumbaya fest here and expecting that is futile imo. If we’re going to get called out for our opinions we're gonna push back when they’re correct and pointing out a fact is hardly toxicity. 

The sign Miller crowd be like ...

CalmThickCob-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Bo not being good at it isn’t true at all though. 

Bo is good at it but where i see the difference is while bo might cause a turn over and make a safe play Miller is more likely to turn that play into a scoring chance mainly because Miller takes more risks but due to his ability to read the play is quite successful with his risks

55 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Im not saying he is toxic or you or anyone in particular 

but the pro trade crowd approached the debate with such conviction and righteousness that this in and of itself created a toxic environment 

there were times when i was suggesting that it would be Garland who traded or Boeser and i would have multiple people insisting that those were terrible ideas and it was only ever to be Miller

The immediate dismissal of ideas that didnt support trading Miller is what was toxic. I felt that at times that if you werent in favour your point would be squeezed out of conversation 

Can't just blame one side. There's people on both sides of nearly every debate that take things too far.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol all opinion pieces.

In reality where we live Holmgren made a bad call and it cost them more chances at the cup. There’s no denying that it’s already been proven.

You continuing to try and prove otherwise with opinion articles isn’t proving anything.

Walk me through it then - what am I meant to use?  A statement from the owner or GM (or whoever you believe to have the most objective and valid say on matters) where they definitively declare a win or a loss on a series of trades?  I already showed you the value of the return they received, ownership's say, and then fan say from a decade on from the trade.  Not sure how I can possibly provide any more consensus to demonstrate the overall approval and understanding of such trades.  

Are we using Stanley Cup victories as the barometer?  If we are, then newsflash, 31 teams each year make "bad calls".  31 GMs cost their team the cup on a yearly basis.

Yes, the reality of the deals is that it didn't lead to a Stanley Cup and didn't work as intended.  It is not "reality" to suggest had they kept Carter and Richards, they would be Stanley Cup winners, have more chances at the cup, or have any more playoff success than they would end up having.  Ridiculous assumption, if I'm being honest.

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Maybe in years 4+ sure, but a ppg-99pt player should be put in a role for a ppg-99pt player first. 

Just think'n

A 99-pt player probably has a better shot at the award because, well, he's got that covered..

I just don't see him as a defensive enough to win it.

A Conn Smythe would be nice.

Why am I thinking of that song..  a little bit of.. is nice..on rice?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Didn’t JT mention this in an interview recently?  The John Scott one perhaps?

I thought I remembered him saying that he likes to slide over to the wing (after taking the draw) when he plays with EP.  When he plays with others then he stays at C.

that makes sense. I didn't listen to that interview other than the stuff on the tweety, Scott is obnoxious. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The year is 2029.

Some.

Just two or three.

From

Edit:  Because you just know Tyler Toffoli and Mats Sundin will be mentioned.   And maybe even Lidstrom.   The latter 2 by me. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 2