The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

4 minutes ago, AV. said:

Yep, you're bang on.  But it's funny, if we really do have just 3 NHL defenders, why does everyone keep going on and on about making the playoffs because of this extension?  Kind of a tough task to accomplish with such deficiencies present in the roster, wouldn't you say?

Except we have more than 3 NHL defenders, anyone who says otherwise is just being negative.

Luke Schenn has almost 900 games played yet he’s not an NHL defender. :picard:

Dermott and Poolman have played over 400 games combined.

And that’s without the addition of De Haan who we’re still trying to sign (almost 600 games played)

The D should be fine if the forwards buy in and play the right way. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Scottydzik said:

Bo will not come less then 7. The deal will be around 7.5x8 years with modified Nmc. Which leaves us with Zero cap for next year. One of Pearson Or Dickson have to go. He also needs say bye Garland and hit nice D men with that deal. The Canucks are just not good enough defensively right now.

Bo making more then Petey and almost as much Miller? I don't think so. A good second line center should be around 6.5 and with a discount like Millers, a little less then that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, AV. said:

Yep, you're bang on.  But it's funny, if we really do have just 3 NHL defenders, why does everyone keep going on and on about making the playoffs because of this extension?  Kind of a tough task to accomplish with such deficiencies present in the roster, wouldn't you say?

Have the stats shown that we are really that bad with our current defense? They need work , yes, but only 3 NHL dmen? OK................

40 minutes ago, AV. said:

This is concerning, if not contradicting, to what the message was for most of last season.

Mr. Allvin and Mr. Rutherford will be in for a rude awakening if they don't change their stance.

What DeNiro said. It's the same as thinking they were going to flip Miller for a treasure, then had to face reality, no one was knocking the door down to acquire him, so then they sign him to an agreeable contract. We aren't going to win the cup this coming season, so they can take a year or two to get the D in order, so for now they are expressing support of our players, the right thing to do.

Just now, EdgarM said:

Have the stats shown that we are really that bad with our current defense? They need work , yes, but only 3 NHL dmen? OK................

"3 defenders" is not a comment I made.  That's what the post I was replying to said.

Hope this helps.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, AV. said:

I think because they showed it's possible. 5v5 play was pretty good. The damn near historic worst PK really killed us. 

I'm hopeful for playoffs, For the players progression sake. The biggest things I'm looking for this year though is showing up to play from puck drop and none of this zero shots for 10-15m at at time sort of crap. If those two things can change along with getting lucky with limited injuries, Demko and the fwd group can carry this team into the show. I don't think for even a second we will win a cup without a super strong top 4, But a round or two is still worth it imo

Even if we miss we pick what, 15th? Round or two and we pick 24th instead? Like I said I think it's worth it to go for playoffs regardless. Minny has keeps making the show yet they keep plucking real good players in the 1st round. We can do it too! 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except we have more than 3 NHL defenders, anyone who says otherwise is just being negative.

Luke Schenn has almost 900 games played yet he’s not an NHL defender. :picard:

Dermott and Poolman have played over 400 games combined.

And that’s without the addition of De Haan who we’re still trying to sign (almost 600 games played)

The D should be fine if the forwards buy in and play the right way. 

I mean I said that haha... but I mean it loosely. Like on a top tier playoff team we have 3 guys who most would want. Schenn OEL and huggy. Myers showed his worth last time in the bubble but I'm just trying to find some common ground as everyone loves trashing on him lol. I'll upgrade to 4 nhl defenders :lol:

1 minute ago, AV. said:

"3 defenders" is not a comment I made.  That's what the post I was replying to said.

Hope this helps.

Oh.........., were you talking about some other "deficiencies" then? ::D

I get you never brought it up, but it sure looked like you were supporting his comment, No?

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder how effective Mikheyev would be against McDavid. He could probably match his speed. 

I think so. Having him up there challenging the point is also gonna force powerplays to play a lot more conservatively against us, honestly couldnt be happier that we signed him. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

I think because they showed it's possible. 5v5 play was pretty good. The damn near historic worst PK really killed us. 

I'm hopeful for playoffs, For the players progression sake. The biggest things I'm looking for this year though is showing up to play from puck drop and none of this zero shots for 10-15m at at time sort of crap. If those two things can change along with getting lucky with limited injuries, Demko and the fwd group can carry this team into the show. I don't think for even a second we will win a cup without a super strong top 4, But a round or two is still worth it imo

Even if we miss we pick what, 15th? Round or two and we pick 24th instead? Like I said I think it's worth it to go for playoffs regardless. Minny has keeps making the show yet they keep plucking real good players in the 1st round. We can do it too! 

Possible?  Yes, certainly.

But probable?  Well, that can only increase with a better roster.

I don't disagree that a playoff run *could* be helpful, but we're also in a tight spot with the cap and age of these players.  Only so many chances to do something meaningful in this group, and we've squandered quite a few already these past two seasons.

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Oh.........., were you talking about some other "deficiencies" then? ::D

I get you never brought it up, but it sure looked like you were supporting his comment, No?

I agree with the premise of his comment (Canucks need to improve their D), but I don't necessarily think we just have "3 defencemen".

:gocan:

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I mean I said that haha... but I mean it loosely. Like on a top tier playoff team we have 3 guys who most would want. Schenn OEL and huggy. Myers showed his worth last time in the bubble but I'm just trying to find some common ground as everyone loves trashing on him lol. I'll upgrade to 4 nhl defenders :lol:

So a guy with almost 300 games isn’t an NHL defender?

He must have fooled a lot of coaches. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Allvin says he expects Poolman to be on the ice on day one of training camp. Says the reports he’s got from the medical staff is that “he’s doing well” #Canucks @TSNHockey

Im having a hard time seeing where Poolman fits in. Whenever he played with Hughes, he seemed to think he was hughes, and try to make a play that would inevitably lead to a turnover. Maybe pair him with Rathbone and give the two of them sheltered minutes? 

I liked Dermott a LOT better than Poolman, from what we saw of him. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, AV. said:

Possible?  Yes, certainly.

But probable?  Well, that can only increase with a better roster.

I don't disagree that a playoff run *could* be helpful, but we're also in a tight spot with the cap and age of these players.  Only so many chances to do something meaningful in this group, and we've squandered quite a few already these past two seasons.

We need to find a way to make the playoffs while selling off redundant pieces for futures. Sounds easy eh :P

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So a guy with almost 300 games isn’t an NHL defender?

He must have fooled a lot of coaches. :lol:

Nhl defenders that take us places not hold us back. Everyone who plays on the league is obviously an NHL player! We reeeeeaaaaalllly need hockey to start asap.. Then our team can shut all of us up if they choose to be consistent this year :P

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

I don't disagree with any of that, except I hope the contract comes in for less. I think Bo will be 7 or less, long term. Fingers crossed.

I entirely agree we aren't good enough defensively. 100%. Pearson is a warrior and does his job, but he is replaceable. I don't know what to think about Dickinson, but don't want to pay to dump him.

I also agree Garland is the most obvious trade candidate. I'm still one of the few would would go back and reverse the OEL/Garland trade in a heartbeat. I like Garland, don't get me wrong, but we need some better defensemen in a badway.

I’d love a deal of Garland Dermott for Mayfield Cizikas.