The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

4 hours ago, rekker said:

To me, if Bo goes, I'm done supporting this team. If they think retooling on the fly, without Bo makes sense, and if this continual tweaking and UFA signing crap continues, I'm taking a step back as a fan. Losing Bo because the money isn't there because of JT would just be so Canuck like. To me it's either blow it up, without Bo, or retool with Bo. I've already become numb to this club as is. The roadmap has been flawed for years and the poor drafting combined with to few picks has left a laughable prospect pool. It's just a mess and I'd rather just go nuclear so that I don't get my hopes up anymore. 

I think Bo leaving would signal the tear down. Or if it didn't, oy thats a massive screw up.

I just want them to pick a direction. Either support this current group properly (at least 1 more RHD, a true shutdown 3C) or blow the thing up. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO there is a gentleman’s agreement between management and Miller that he will not be traded.  

He’s not going to want to go through the rebuild and he’s too competitive to not want to make the playoffs every year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he hasn’t already asked behind closed doors. Guys the new Loui Eriksson around here to some and we will be blowing up the team at some point. 

46 minutes ago, The King of Kings said:

Is there anywhere we can find the proposed offers from other teams for the potential J.T. Miller trade, during the trading deadline of last season?

Friedman Tweeted a couple weeks before the 2022 TDL that the Canucks had taken JTM off the market and were intending to extend him in the summer as a number one centre.  This and the offer from the Raggedy Andy’s of Chytil, Lundquist and their 2022 first are all in that trade Miller thread.  

19 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Fair points, but what he said going into the season and where they're at further on could be very different things. Isles are off to a good start, and have been winning quite a bit as of late, they very well may not feel they need to add an offensive jolt at this point. They've also been very good defensively, so there's a chance that while maybe they'd like to bolster their D it's not currently as big a priority as originally thought. If they continue this current trajectory it could impact how the view things closer to January, February, or the deadline. As a team they're not far removed from having some playoff success. Wasn't that long ago they were in a conference final. 

Could very well be that down the road they're in a position where things have shifted, and where they may be considering looking for an offensive player who might bolster their playoff chances, or ability to compete come playoff time. A Miller trade probably doesn't happen sooner than later anyway, so it's hard to say. 

I personally wouldn't write the Isles off as a potential landing spot. Particularly if management is willing to make a deal that's more of a fair deal than a clearcut win, it's unlikely anyone's gonna rob Lou. 

Rutherford didn't quite stick to his plan.  Lamoriello seems more consistent but it's not like he discloses much.  

Seravalli reported that there was less interest in Miller than initially thought.  It feels like he signed with Vancouver in part because he realised that he wouldn't be able to get that kind of deal on the open market.  Teams are still cap strapped and more money is being now allocated to younger players who want to get paid on potential.  Gaudreau only got interest from CBJ and NJD and ended up with less than in Calgary.  How many teams would really be in on Miller.

Teams are probably going to do an in-depth due diligence if Rutherford decides to reverse course and trade him especially with Rutherford saying that you don't trade your best player in a re-tool.  The Canucks losing so much after leading and that Dach goal made the rounds.  Boudreau and Rutherford also being blunt in the media are also telling teams what they should look into before trading with Vancouver.

Not convinced that they even want to move Miller (- they seem set on blaming systems) and not confident that they can without a cost.

Not Rutherford's style to try and win a trade - his advice to Guerin when he got named GM in Minnesota was make fair trades or you won't be making many.  

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Rutherford didn't quite stick to his plan.  Lamoriello seems more consistent but it's not like he discloses much.  

Seravalli reported that there was less interest in Miller than initially thought.  It feels like he signed with Vancouver in part because he realised that he wouldn't be able to get that kind of deal on the open market.  Teams are still cap strapped and more money is being now allocated to younger players who want to get paid on potential.  Gaudreau only got interest from CBJ and NJD and ended up with less than in Calgary.  How many teams would really be in on Miller.

Teams are probably going to do an in-depth due diligence if Rutherford decides to reverse course and trade him especially with Rutherford saying that you don't trade your best player in a re-tool.  The Canucks losing so much after leading and that Dach goal made the rounds.  Boudreau and Rutherford also being blunt in the media are also telling teams what they should look into before trading with Vancouver.

Not convinced that they even want to move Miller (- they seem set on blaming systems) and not confident that they can without a cost.

Not Rutherford's style to try and win a trade - his advice to Guerin when he got named GM in Minnesota was make fair trades or you won't be making many.  

He didn't, came in and said all the right things and then went and mucked things up.

The team needs a rebuild but watch him and Al continue to spin our wheels like Benning did. More mediocrity, limited options, and an aging JT Miller.

I do think he's more movable than you do though.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, The King of Kings said:

Is there anywhere we can find the proposed offers from other teams for the potential J.T. Miller trade, during the trading deadline of last season?

we as fans have only very limited insights and information about what's happening behind the scenes. Would have been very interesting what was on the table from the Islanders. There were rumors that Canucks were close trading JT Miller to the Islanders on draft day. If I remember correctly Lou told the media to ask Allvin what happened at the draft floor. Lou wasn't willing to trade away one of their D-Men. From my perspective Aatu Räty and a 1st round pick would have been a great return for JT Miller. Would have given Canucks the opportunity to play Räty as Center in the Top 6.

As mentioned we do not exactly know what happened on the draft floor between Lou and Allvin. Fact is that Islanders were in on Miller and wanted to bolster their forward group.

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

we as fans have only very limited insights and information about what's happening behind the scenes. Would have been very interesting what was on the table from the Islanders. There were rumors that Canucks were close trading JT Miller to the Islanders on draft day. If I remember correctly Lou told the media to ask Allvin what happened at the draft floor. Lou wasn't willing to trade away one of their D-Men. From my perspective Aatu Räty and a 1st round pick would have been a great return for JT Miller. Would have given Canucks the opportunity to play Räty as Center in the Top 6.

As mentioned we do not exactly know what happened on the draft floor between Lou and Allvin. Fact is that Islanders were in on Miller and wanted to bolster their forward group.

I'm pretty sure the whole Islanders situation being about Miller was a made up rumor. If I recall correctly, reporters saw Rutherford huddled with Lamoriello at the draft and decided they must be talking about a trade. Then, after nothing happened, they asked Lamoriello if a trade fell through and his response was something close to "I don't know, go ask Jim."

Some media thought it was about Miller, some thought it was about Myers, and for all we know it could have been discussing what to order for lunch the next day.

I was happy that we signed him, but questioned doing so before it happened. I sure would've liked to know some of the offers that we got in the off season regarding JT. That being said.........

.....Was there a possibility that JT woulda' been Naslund 2.0?!?!?!?? Is JT an 8mil dollar player on a SC contending team??? Worth the cap as a winger?!?!?!?! A centre!?!??!?!?These are questions I always asked when we signed him.  

It is of my opinion that money like this is payed to a game breaking offensively skilled player. Sure he had a 99 point season. A great show of contribution to our team to be sure. But is he overpaid? Not taking into account his age and such. Just what he brings to our team........Is he worth to us what we're paying him?

4 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

JT is still very valuable on a competitive team.  His contract will suck in 4-5 years but a good gamble for a contender.  One catch though......which contender can afford him?

Islanders aren’t usually considered a contender. But they went to the Eastern Conference Finals twice in a row before last year’s craziness, and if anything, have better goaltending now. They are 11-6-0 (no loser points) to start the season.

They were the team rumoured to be most interested in Miller in the offseason. And they can afford it if we take someone like Bailey (who has no form of trade clause) back.

They weren’t willing to pay the price beforehand, but you’d have to think that price has gone down considerably. What if it ended up just being their 2023 1st (which should be late), Bailey, and a fringe prospect? Are we happy with that? I think I would be, simply to reset the room and get out from under the long-term weight of that contract.