The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

On 11/15/2022 at 11:07 AM, aGENT said:

Well I'm glad even you can't agree with yourself at times @mll :lol:

Is the market limited to move him? Yup, probably about 5 to maybe 10 teams who'd even have interest. And then they'd likely also need cap coming off the books this summer, as well as us taking back cap/retaining this season.

And the market to move him was always limited to those teams (past last TDL anyway).

But sorry, I don't buy that a 1ppg power forward (on a crap team no less), who can win draws/fill in at C, on an expiring bargain deal, with a below market extension already in place (cost certainty)... Is going to be hard to move to any "win now" teams, if we actually have the balls to do so.

All i can say, at this point is we've entered this: Twilight Zone Getting Weird GIF by MOODMAN

And i still think Bouchard is the only way out.   So we all are running out of ideas. 

• There it is 1

On 11/15/2022 at 1:16 PM, Shayster007 said:

I haven't considered this perspective. If the Canucks didn't like the trade value he had unsigned, might as well try to change the value by giving him a contract. I doubt they had that in mind when signing him, but who knows.

JR in a interview recently said that they would now need to seriously consider trading players they wouldn't have in the summer. I assumed he was talking about Horvat at the time of the interview, but maybe Miller is part of that discussion as well.

I don't want to trade Horvat, but I think he might have too much value to not trade. But, in my opinion, if you trade Horvat you have to trade Miller as well. Embrace the darkness and hope a new leadership of Petey and Hughes can emerge in this wake of the change.

Another way is to trade QHs for a RHD and see if OEL can return to form like EK has.   Seriously isn't bad on the PP with limited reps (first unit).   QHs for Dobson and NYI first?   When he says guys they wouldn't think of trading i don't think anyone should be considered safe at this point, even QHs or EP. 

• Cheers 1

On 11/16/2022 at 5:12 PM, IBatch said:

Another way is to trade QHs for a RHD and see if OEL can return to form like EK has.   Seriously isn't bad on the PP with limited reps (first unit).   QHs for Dobson and NYI first?   When he says guys they wouldn't think of trading i don't think anyone should be considered safe at this point, even QHs or EP. 

I'd do QH for Dobson 1 for 1.

On 11/15/2022 at 5:13 AM, wai_lai416 said:

well if bo is traded JR needs to 100% approach Miller and ask if he's willing to move. trading Bo regardless of what you get in a deal won't be enough to cover the holes created by moving bo. let say you move bo and got a rhd back great. now you need a 2c and a 3c.. coz let's face it.. the only part of Miller's game that you consider him as a C is faceoff.. outside of faceoff he doesn't play like a center.. finding a 3c prolly easier.. but finding a 2c? not exactl that easy.. otherwise why other team needs a bo or willing to pay for him?

yeah, the team's in a bit of a bind. if they're trading Bo, they'll need to get a C in return, and then getting a RHD through a different route. 

Maybe you trade JT for a RHD or a C, but if management is trading both, then one can get you a C back and then the other can get you a RHD back. I know, easier said than done of course. I still prefer trading JT, but at this point, it's probably wishful thinking that any GM would take on that massive contract that begins next year. 

Petey, in my books has arrived. He should be the number one centre moving forward for this team. 

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah, the team's in a bit of a bind. if they're trading Bo, they'll need to get a C in return, and then getting a RHD through a different route. 

Maybe you trade JT for a RHD or a C, but if management is trading both, then one can get you a C back and then the other can get you a RHD back. I know, easier said than done of course. I still prefer trading JT, but at this point, it's probably wishful thinking that any GM would take on that massive contract that begins next year. 

Petey, in my books has arrived. He should be the number one centre moving forward for this team. 

At this point, we just need pieces. Yes ideally C's and RHD's but we need quality pieces, high picks etc back. Get the best returns (and cap space), if that's what we're down to. Then use those to get the pieces we need over time.

Why would we have trouble moving a 1PPG power forward , who can win draws/play C in a pinch, on an expiring bargain deal, with a below market value extension and cost certainty in place? The market's probably only 5+, "win now" teams. But I don't think he'd be hard to move at all. His deal is far better than Huberdea or Gudreau's, that teams signed themselves.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

At this point, we just need pieces. Yes ideally C's and RHD's but we need quality pieces, high picks etc back. Get the best returns (and cap space), if that's what we're down to. Then use those to get the pieces we need over time.

Why would we have trouble moving a 1PPG power forward , who can win draws/play C in a pinch, on an expiring bargain deal, with a below market value extension and cost certainty in place? The market's probably only 5+, "win now" teams. But I don't think he'd be hard to move at all. His deal is far better than Huberdea or Gudreau's, that teams signed themselves.

Would love to move Miller and Bo in rebuilding moves.  Saravelli has Bo as the number 1 guy on his trade list. No sign of Miller though.

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would love to move Miller and Bo in rebuilding moves.  Saravelli has Bo as the number 1 guy on his trade list. No sign of Miller though.

That’s because millers trade is limited with a 7 year extension attached. Contending teams can’t take him as a rental as they prolly have to dismantle their team just to fit him next season. Miller trade is very very limited.. as it have to be a contender that would make that type of move and also a team with cap space next season. Carolina and prolly Boston comes to mind. But really don’t see those 2 teams making a move for miller.

29 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

That’s because millers trade is limited with a 7 year extension attached. Contending teams can’t take him as a rental as they prolly have to dismantle their team just to fit him next season. Miller trade is very very limited.. as it have to be a contender that would make that type of move and also a team with cap space next season. Carolina and prolly Boston comes to mind. But really don’t see those 2 teams making a move for miller.

The cap is expected to rise by 4 million next season so theoretically a ton of teams would have the space for this deal next season. 

lol, miller can be a great 2 way player when he wants, he was a great two way player his first 2 years here, our major issues are:

1. Team De fence is worse because OEL, Myers, Demko and Miller who were all good to great last year have fallen off.

2. The above has outweighed Petey's amazing two way play and Bo+ Huggys's amazing offense.

I actually do not think we need major surgery, I think we need to dump Myers - might be doable next off season after the 5 milliion bonus is paid out.

we need a 3C and we need a R shot D, 

46 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

lol, miller can be a great 2 way player when he wants, he was a great two way player his first 2 years here, our major issues are:

1. Team De fence is worse because OEL, Myers, Demko and Miller who were all good to great last year have fallen off.

2. The above has outweighed Petey's amazing two way play and Bo+ Huggys's amazing offense.

I actually do not think we need major surgery, I think we need to dump Myers - might be doable next off season after the 5 milliion bonus is paid out.

we need a 3C and we need a R shot D, 

Not sure you are watching the same Hughes I have been the last month; he is nowhere near where he was at last year. The best output from our PP last night is when him and Petersson did the old flipperoo; Pettersson point shots get through. In addition, his spin outs and avoiding is not working at this time; results in multi horenndous giveaways a period. His only plus right now is some of his breakout passes are still clicking...but not all.

I still like QH, and want him here LT, but to throw a bunch of other guys under the bus without acknowledging his poor play is ridiculous.