The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Islanders aren’t usually considered a contender. But they went to the Eastern Conference Finals twice in a row before last year’s craziness, and if anything, have better goaltending now. They are 11-6-0 (no loser points) to start the season.

They were the team rumoured to be most interested in Miller in the offseason. And they can afford it if we take someone like Bailey (who has no form of trade clause) back.

They weren’t willing to pay the price beforehand, but you’d have to think that price has gone down considerably. What if it ended up just being their 2023 1st (which should be late), Bailey, and a fringe prospect? Are we happy with that? I think I would be, simply to reset the room and get out from under the long-term weight of that contract.

I'd take it, it'd give us a 1st to use on a D later in the 1st round and free up cap space sooner than later

Edited by Coconuts

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd take it, it'd give us a 1st to use on a D later in the 1st round and free up cap space sooner than later

Fwiw Seravalli thinks that the Miller contract is going to be really difficult to move now.  He was on Canucks Central today on Sportsnet650.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

NJD why can't you take Miller???????

tbh though if NJD got Demko that could be a final piece for them, Demko just has to play good.

We burned them once with a promising young goalie, we couldn't possibly do it again? Demko for a 1st + Nemec or Hughes would be unreal. If he becomes a Vezina winner this is a steal for NJD, if he bombs like Schneider we take the haul and run...

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Islanders aren’t usually considered a contender. But they went to the Eastern Conference Finals twice in a row before last year’s craziness, and if anything, have better goaltending now. They are 11-6-0 (no loser points) to start the season.

They were the team rumoured to be most interested in Miller in the offseason. And they can afford it if we take someone like Bailey (who has no form of trade clause) back.

They weren’t willing to pay the price beforehand, but you’d have to think that price has gone down considerably. What if it ended up just being their 2023 1st (which should be late), Bailey, and a fringe prospect? Are we happy with that? I think I would be, simply to reset the room and get out from under the long-term weight of that contract.

I do agree that it would be wise to off-load Miller's contract before the end of this season, even if we get fleeced.  Make no mistake, Miller is a heart and soul for this team when he's on......so I'm fine with him for a re-tooling team if that's what management will do (despite that being a terrible idea).  But if this team continues the path they're on (they will I suspect), I can see Miller giving up on this club.  The risk is too great and so a first rounder would be a wise grab at this point.....hopefully with a prospect or additional draft pick or two.

Only chance miller is moving is JR asked him and he said yes. Trading a player after he signs a max term contract before his nmc kicks in without consulting is the biggest douche move a franchise can make. Imagine he has no interest in going to whatever team and now stuck there for 7 years. None of the current players will be willing to sign long term with the team knowing there’s a chance the team will backstab them and ship them off to places they don’t want to go without consulting. No big name ufa will consider Vancouver if there are other choices available. 

• There it is 1

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Only chance miller is moving is JR asked him and he said yes. Trading a player after he signs a max term contract before his nmc kicks in without consulting is the biggest douche move a franchise can make. Imagine he has no interest in going to whatever team and now stuck there for 7 years. None of the current players will be willing to sign long term with the team knowing there’s a chance the team will backstab them and ship them off to places they don’t want to go without consulting. No big name ufa will consider Vancouver if there are other choices available. 

And this is why if one of Bo or Miller is traded it’s bye bye Bo Ho.  

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, still worth trying to do 

John Shannon has the opposite take - he thinks cost certainty will make it easier to move him.  Now have to see if Vancouver will even try.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, mll said:

John Shannon has the opposite take - he thinks cost certainty will make it easier to move him.  Now have to see if Vancouver will even try.

And he still is an elite goal scorer.

Could see how in a strong system, team with a better back end could insulate him and get a lot out of him without hurting you.

im sure teams want him the salary is just tough with the cap constraints. But I could see a team getting him tdl on a retainer salary then having the summer to move him or make his salary work.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

And this is why if one of Bo or Miller is traded it’s bye bye Bo Ho.  

well if bo is traded JR needs to 100% approach Miller and ask if he's willing to move. trading Bo regardless of what you get in a deal won't be enough to cover the holes created by moving bo. let say you move bo and got a rhd back great. now you need a 2c and a 3c.. coz let's face it.. the only part of Miller's game that you consider him as a C is faceoff.. outside of faceoff he doesn't play like a center.. finding a 3c prolly easier.. but finding a 2c? not exactl that easy.. otherwise why other team needs a bo or willing to pay for him?

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, mll said:

Fwiw Seravalli thinks that the Miller contract is going to be really difficult to move now.  He was on Canucks Central today on Sportsnet650.  

3 hours ago, mll said:

Well I'm glad even you can't agree with yourself at times @mll :lol:

Is the market limited to move him? Yup, probably about 5 to maybe 10 teams who'd even have interest. And then they'd likely also need cap coming off the books this summer, as well as us taking back cap/retaining this season.

And the market to move him was always limited to those teams (past last TDL anyway).

But sorry, I don't buy that a 1ppg power forward (on a crap team no less), who can win draws/fill in at C, on an expiring bargain deal, with a below market extension already in place (cost certainty)... Is going to be hard to move to any "win now" teams, if we actually have the balls to do so.

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well I'm glad even you can't agree with yourself at times @mll :lol:

Is the market limited to move him? Yup, probably about 5 to maybe 10 teams who'd even have interest. And then they'd likely also need cap coming off the books this summer, as well as us taking back cap/retaining this season.

And the market to move him was always limited to those teams (past last TDL anyway).

But sorry, I don't buy that a 1ppg power forward (on a crap team no less), who can win draws/fill in at C, on an expiring bargain deal, with a below market extension already in place (cost certainty)... Is going to be hard to move to any "win now" teams, if we actually have the balls to do so.

If they can’t find a market for Miller, that is pretty damming for them.  They can’t have been trying very hard.

How about a team like Buffalo that has a hard time attracting UFAs and also is trying really hard to get better?  The club control part has more value to some teams than others.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, mll said:

That's more the way I lean, particularly given he's still producing at a good clip

Guess we'll see

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

I haven't considered this perspective. If the Canucks didn't like the trade value he had unsigned, might as well try to change the value by giving him a contract. I doubt they had that in mind when signing him, but who knows.

JR in a interview recently said that they would now need to seriously consider trading players they wouldn't have in the summer. I assumed he was talking about Horvat at the time of the interview, but maybe Miller is part of that discussion as well.

I don't want to trade Horvat, but I think he might have too much value to not trade. But, in my opinion, if you trade Horvat you have to trade Miller as well. Embrace the darkness and hope a new leadership of Petey and Hughes can emerge in this wake of the change.

• Cheers 3