The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Sonny Milano with Flames

theo5789

This just shows the overall skill level and parity in the league has jumped up soo much over the few years only like 5 teams are actual garbage ( yet have alot in the pipeline ) and it's leading to quality players with solid potential to be left for PTOs a week before camp starts. Wild times.

Remember he's just trying out for the Flames, Anyone could sign him still really 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

good pick up for them

Not really.

He got 14 goals sure, but that was being given cushy minutes on a team that didn’t really care that much about winning. Chiasson got 13 goals for us for comparison.

Might be a good depth option but let’s not pretend this does much for them, if they even sign him. Will he really fit into Sutter’s system? I kind of doubt it. There’s a reason why no one else was willing to sign him. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not really.

He got 14 goals sure, but that was being given cushy minutes on a team that didn’t really care that much about winning. Chiasson got 13 goals for us for comparison.

Might be a good depth option but let’s not pretend this does much for them, if they even sign him. Will he really fit into Sutter’s system? I kind of doubt it. There’s a reason why no one else was willing to sign him. 

Yea, some guys on here see a one of two highlight goals from a player and that convinces them these are players we should have.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

34 points in 66 games while being a one dimensional tire fire.  

Every player isn't going to be a great two-way player, doesn't mean there isn't potential value. The Flames aren't likely looking for Milano to be a top guy, he'd likely play in their bottom six. If he can provide complimentary offense and not get buried defensively that's a win from a player on PTO. He'd also be better insulated on a team that typically plays solid defense, and on a team coached by a coach who values defense. 

Defensive play is also something that can be worked on.

Edited by Coconuts

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Every player isn't going to be a great two-way player, doesn't mean there isn't potential value. The Flames aren't likely looking for Milano to be a top guy, he'd likely play in their bottom six. If he can provide complimentary offense and not get buried defensively that's a win from a player on PTO. He'd also be better insulated on a team that typically plays solid defense, and on a team coached by a coach who values defense. 

Defensive play is also something that can be worked on.

While that may be true Sutter isn’t looking to teach players defense he’s looking to contend for the cup.

I would be surprised if Milano plays any sort of meaningful role for them. If he’s even signed.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

While that may be true Sutter isn’t looking to teach players defense he’s looking to contend for the cup.

I would be surprised if Milano plays any sort of meaningful role for them. If he’s even signed.

Agreed, but depth is important and it's not unusual for depth guys to have holes in their game. I could see him maybe doing well in a third line role but it'd depend on who he's playing with and how he's deployed. I could just as easily see him just being a 13th forward or someone who gets call-ups from the farm. I think he's capable of contributing to an NHL lineup but I'm not going to make him out to be more than a journeyman NHL'er. 

Depth guy or not though, I'm still surprised someone didn't take a flyer on him sooner. Every team needs depth. 

• 3 weeks later...