The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-Season [GDT/PGT] Seattle Kraken @ Vancouver Canucks/ Thursday, Sept. 29/22 / 6:30pm KONG, NHLN,SN1, SNP, 650AM at Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

Just now, stawns said:

Again, it's not the importance of the games, bit of how those games are played.

Have you heard the phrase you play how you practice?  Are you happy with the team being outworked in three consecutive games?  Teams with inconsistent effort levels don't go very far.  There's no panic, but if I'm PA and BB, of certainly have some concerns 

I saw enough good individual efforts that I'm happy, yes. 

• There it is 1

11 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I didn't watch the game but I assume there were more NHL regulars on the Canucks side than Seattle so the roster isn't really isn't an excuse.

I know we shouldn't put too much weight on pre-season games but, as I recall, Canucks also didn't have a good preseason (record wise) last season and it carried over to the poor start the team has. It's not an ideal trend.

So yes pre-season doesn't mean much but we shouldn't disregard the poor record so far either. 

Back when we were around the top we had sh!t records to in preseason, first real game cant come soon enough but still did good. So ill still disregard this, hopefully cuts are made for the next games

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not to be a buzz kill.   But this team hasn't had the skill to play anything but a dump and chase game since maybe two years ago.    Can't blame 3 other coaches for that.  

Edit: But i do agree - we should be excited.  

Let's agree to disagree! I think guys like Petey, Miller, Hughes, Boeser, Bo, Hoglander, Garland and to a lesser extent Podkolzin all have the ability to be dynamic with the puck. Is it a great sized pool to deal with? No. But even teams like the Oilers who are known for their good offense play this style and it's not just Drai and McDavid. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

For one period, I agree

You don't think the 2nd period was great? 

You're harder on the team than I am and I'm one of the most critical people here when it comes to energy and effort towards this team. I thought it was unfortunate that it wasn't 5-1 by the end of the 2nd. 

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

They'll come around, I'm sure...

6vamx0.jpg

Don't get too attached to him.   There was a reason why JR gave him a very short leash this year.    If our regular season continues along the path of the pre-season, he'll be gone by Christmas or at best let go in the off season, as I suspect that JR was skeptical about keeping him but did so simply because of his amazing effect with the team late last year and wants to see if it was a "blip" or a real effect.

Hopefully BB and the team breakout this season and turn the page on the past decade of underperforming JB/TG boring, painful to watch, mediocre AHL level hockey - which they should be able to do but it will come down again to the core players getting the job done and not going into funks with all sorts of excuses.  If for some reason that happens - and I do not expect it to - you can bet the house that we will have a major "teardown" of this team, which some might argue should have been done years ago!   

Fingers crossed and candles are lit at church for this team to improve this year!

Haha I couldn't wait for lunch to see what people are saying, this is so sweet and sour.

I was very entertained last night and seeing the vets show so much puck control even at 5 on 5 that was great.

The youth showed exactly that "youth" this team will be a lot better this year than last.

That release by Kuz reminded me of the Flow.

GCG

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Let's agree to disagree! I think guys like Petey, Miller, Hughes, Boeser, Bo, Hoglander, Garland and to a lesser extent Podkolzin all have the ability to be dynamic with the puck. Is it a great sized pool to deal with? No. But even teams like the Oilers who are known for their good offense play this style and it's not just Drai and McDavid. 

Two years ago we didn't have Podz and Garland, and the younger guys weren't really there yet other the spurts.  It's been a long time since this team could take could take over "possession" 5 x 5. Im not even a big proponent of that anyways.   Yes LA and CHI had possession 5 % more then most playoff teams.   Exocet PIT.  They won back to back cups, as 16th and 12th overall.   Agree it's nice to have the puck on the stick and believe we can be a team that does that.    If you want to, go re-read what i said.   This team is a different team then the one two years ago.  Some core ascension.   And they've got better. I'm excited too. 

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Honestly though how do we even know this? I see posts like this all of the time but do we actually know what goes on with the coaching and delegations? 

How do we know Shaw wasn’t in charge of the D and pk?

It been well documented and Shaw even spoke about it this summer. Pretty much threw shade at Green for how he ran his coaching staff.

8 hours ago, stawns said:

So you think they went into the first intermission and said "all right boys, that's probably good enough"?  And you call that thinking logically?

Again, why don't other teams do that?  Why didn't the Flames, a cup contender, do the same thing?

I’m sorry pre-season effort means so much to you. Idk how else to explain pre-season

Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Samuelsson, Raymond

Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler

Luongo and Schneider lost to f***ing Horcoff and Eberle, the Whitdawg, Petry, Martin bloody Gerber and Dubnyk. In a preseason game in 2010. We later got spanked 8-2 by deadmonton in the pre-season…. You know where Edmonton and Vancouver finished in that regular season? At the complete opposite ends of the standings.  We lost both preseason games to deadmonton and were outscored 11-4. You’re stressing waaaay too much over a preseason game.

The Kraken have more potential roster openings, they’re going to have more guys pushing to make the team. One of the CGY games was their top 6 vs our 3rd/4th line and an AHL squad. The other CGY we for sure had the better roster, we probably should have won that game, sometimes thats the way it goes. We forced OT down 2-0 in the 3rd. The more AHL bound guys in pre-season the more effort you’re going to get. These guys are doing everything to make an impression. Its okay, its just pre-season. 

2010-11 Van went 3-5 in preseason, started off 1-2 in the Regular season and took 6-7 games to get above .500 hockey, the rest was history. Just take a deep breath and dont panic so soon, the season hasnt even begun yet.

• Cheers 1

Just now, AnthonyG said:

I’m sorry pre-season effort means so much to you. Idk how else to explain pre-season

Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Samuelsson, Raymond

Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler

Luongo and Schneider lost to f***ing Horcoff and Eberle, the Whitdawg, Petry, Martin bloody Gerber and Dubnyk. In a preseason game in 2010. We later got spanked 8-2 by deadmonton in the pre-season…. You know where Edmonton and Vancouver finished in that regular season? At the complete opposite ends of the standings.  We lost both preseason games to deadmonton and were outscored 11-4. You’re stressing waaaay too much over a preseason game.

The Kraken have more potential roster openings, they’re going to have more guys pushing to make the team. One of the CGY games was their top 6 vs our 3rd/4th line and an AHL squad. The other CGY we for sure had the better roster, we probably should have won that game, sometimes thats the way it goes. We forced OT down 2-0 in the 3rd. The more AHL bound guys in pre-season the more effort you’re going to get. These guys are doing everything to make an impression. Its okay, its just pre-season. 

2010-11 Van went 3-5 in preseason, started off 1-2 in the Regular season and took 6-7 games to get above .500 hockey, the rest was history. Just take a deep breath and dont panic so soon, the season hasnt even begun yet.

Actually I'm sorry it means so.little to you.  A poor start to this season would be a tough pill to swallow with this management group and though wins and losses don't matter, the process does and lackluster efforts now can easily bleed into the start of the reg season.

It's not panic time, but i.hope they're appropriately concerned.

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Actually I'm sorry it means so.little to you.  A poor start to this season would be a tough pill to swallow with this management group and though wins and losses don't matter, the process does and lackluster efforts now can easily bleed into the start of the reg season.

It's called PRE season for a reason, BB wasn't even sure of who he was going to put out there for lines, the Mick goes down, Boeser down, we have new ahl guys who need a look by BB to see where they are in the curve. 

So how can you come up with a accurate view of how the season is going to go from that exactly? 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

It's called PRE season for a reason, BB wasn't even sure of who he was going to put out there for lines, the Mick goes down, Boeser down, we have new ahl guys who need a look by BB to see where they are in the curve. 

So how can you come up with a accurate view of how the season is going to go from that exactly? 

Let me ask you, if you were a coach and could choose, would you prefer them to go into game one of the season with your team putting out a good consistent, hard effort in pre-season?

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

Idk if you got the memo… but this is a brand new management group and there is almost zero pressure on them for playoffs in their first full year as a management team. Their jobs are not on the line right now.

If we had a full line up in all 3 games, sure maybe, just MAYBE, you can have a little concern, but we are talkin 1/3 of an actual NHL team. Lets save the panic for the first 15 games of the regular season.. If we are 4-9-2 and losing to bottom teams, yea we should be a little worried, but even then, there is another 67 games to be played.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Idk if you got the memo… but this is a brand new management group and there is almost zero pressure on them for playoffs in their first full year as a management team. Their jobs are not on the line right now.

If we had a full line up in all 3 games, sure maybe, just MAYBE, you can have a little concern, but we are talkin 1/3 of an actual NHL team. Lets save the panic for the first 15 games of the regular season.. If we are 4-9-2 and losing to bottom teams, yea we should be a little worried, but even then, there is another 67 games to be played.

This group, now, has the majority of one season and a full off season under their belt.  They made mention of the "country club" mentality here, so I'd say they've set the bar higher than not making the playoffs, don't you think?