The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jason Dickinson, 2024 2nd-round pick to Blackhawks for Riley Stillman

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Vancouver Canucks Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

CapFriendly shows 15 contracts on the books for 2023-2024 for $67,597,500 with $15,902,500 in cap space.  Those 15 contracts DON'T include Horvat, Kuzmenko and Hoglander.  I said if we sign Horvat at 7 plus Kuzmenko at 5.5 plus Hoglander at 1.5 that equals $14 million, which leaves us with 18 contracts signed and $1,902,500 in cap space to sign 5 more guys.

So, what part of my math is wrong?

Can we let Kuzmenko play at least 1 NHL game before we price him out?

Thé way I see it, odds are with Kuzmenko, the experience will be so successful that’ll price himself out of Vancouver and sign a huge deal with a cap floor team or will be a major flop and Canucks will let him go or will bolt back to KHL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mordekai said:

Cap is going to 83.5mil

i did your proposed contract plus added existing players like Rathbone and Joshua and we are still under the cap with 20 players 

if Kuzmenko can get 5.5mil then Boeser Pearson or garland will be gone

if Pearson is traded we can add Burroughs Aman and another cheap contract

198063F2-1CEB-4255-981F-B6A6643E3324.png

There's 23 players on an nhl roster

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LTC123 said:

I don't understand trades like this:  What's the advantage for CHI to take on salary/overpaid roster spot to give away a good D?....just to get a 2nd round pick?    They give up Stillman to be anchored with cap?  

He is a 3rd pairing D so it isn’t like he has a ton of value.

They know they won’t be a cap team and are rebuilding so they keep adding 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.  Those picks will turn into cheap players for them in 2-4 years just as the contracts for the veteran cap hits they are taking on expire.

Dickenson is an ok player, he didn’t fit here.  In the last year of his contract they will be able to flip him for another 3rd round pick to a contender looking for depth and injury insurance.

Just look at Ottawa and all the young talent they have by doing this.  Then all the cap space they had to get really good free agents.

On 10/7/2022 at 10:32 PM, Rindiculous said:

I wonder if this move was made so we get a D and then can sign Milano.

Yes that could be..also think there will be a few RD man on waivers at the last minute..Vancouver have not picked a waiver player yet so they are almost at the top for picking waiver players that come available..

Of two minds here. Another second rounder out the door continues to make the current regime look like the last. Draft wingers and left D, fill bottom six with UFAs.

At least we are finally seeing PA subtract some players. So far he has removed precious little of Benning’s room. 
I like that Stillman he was really known for his mobility as well as toughness. He was trusted with Florida and didn’t have terrible numbers. Going to a team as bad as Chicago may have messed with game but is still young and we could def use the hits and toughness.  As season starts too we just need some warm bodies on D. 
Makes room for Aman who has been pleasant surprise for a free prospect.  Lose room for Rathbone though. 
Even saves a small amount of cap.

All in all not sure worth the price but some positives there. 

4 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Yes that could be..also think there will be a few RD man on waivers at the last minute..Vancouver have not picked a waiver player yet so they are almost at the top for picking waiver players that come available..

Vellimaki would have been better than spending a second here but also a little cap space.

8 hours ago, mordekai said:

Cap is going to 83.5mil

i did your proposed contract plus added existing players like Rathbone and Joshua and we are still under the cap with 20 players 

if Kuzmenko can get 5.5mil then Boeser Pearson or garland will be gone

if Pearson is traded we can add Burroughs Aman and another cheap contract

198063F2-1CEB-4255-981F-B6A6643E3324.png

Just on cap friendly Petey signed 3 yr deal last summer? 3 yrs X 7.25 = 2 yrs RFA -- Hughes 5 yrs UFA - OEL 5 yrs - Stillman - 2RFA

Every player your off by 1 yr? This season hasn't started????

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Just on cap friendly Petey signed 3 yr deal last summer? 3 yrs X 7.25 = 2 yrs RFA -- Hughes 5 yrs UFA - OEL 5 yrs - Stillman - 2RFA

Kuzmenko will have to have  a fantastic season to even sign for 4 million?? Like GP 75 - G 25  PTS 50--58

Show me more deal..

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rackdawg said:

Stillman a plug..waste of a second rounder

12 points in 52 games and -8 on a God awful Hawks team. 122 hits, 67 blocked shots, 15 minutes of ice time per game.

Sounds like a steady, gritty type player. PA even said he makes us harder to play against. That's what matters.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

12 points in 52 games and -8 on a God awful Hawks team. 122 hits, 67 blocked shots, 15 minutes of ice time per game.

Sounds like a steady, gritty type player. PA even said he makes us harder to play against. That's what matters.

Fans will like Stillman 24--6'1 - 200 lbs,  plays like Burroughs but more skilled and younger...

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Considering that Horvat and Kuzmenko are up next year, creating a bit more cap flexibility next year is a good thing. Losing the 2nd sucks, but I'm fine with it considering we shipped out 2 years of Dickinson's contract and added to our defensive depth for cheap. 

I'm even more fine with it if the cap space saved by this trade allows us the flexibility to resign Kuzmenko (assuming he had a good season) and/or Horvat. 

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, wildcam said:

They are 15th in the waiver priority order - it's based on the standings at the end of last season.  As from 1 November it then shifts to this season's standings (point percentage). The number of waiver claims doesn't impact the priority order.

Opening rosters are due tomorrow:  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I like the direction the team is going. PA at least understands you need more than skill to win at hockey. You need guys like Schenn, Dakota, and Stillman to boost the sandpaper quotient. Even better if it means other teams don't take liberties with Canucks players. Seeing Petey run players over is a beautiful thing too.

This might be my biggest takeaway as well. Watching the Coil take liberties sucked.

I thought Wolanin played well enough to stick but maybe we’d rather try with some sandpaper first.  

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, wildcam said:

This is for 2023-2024