The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 64 players - Oct. 09, 2022

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

We're broke though. Bringing in someone and then having to trade another contract is a whole new problem unless we through another first or second at it. At this point we have to take some gambles anyway so who knows.

yeah we'd have to try to move Pearson first for free likely. 

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He would be worth at least a 3rd rounder. He's not useless.

Never said he was. But we can see how hard it is to move cap, I don't think its out of the question to not expect a return on him.

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

We traded that 2nd rounder for cap space and a cap dump (Dickie) who could no longer play like an NHLer, AND an improvement on defense in Stillman.

I don’t disagree with the trade…Dickie is a cap dump and Stillman is an LHD that makes us a little tougher to play against if he can crack the lineup. Cap is key…but is worthless unless you use it. Management decided not to make any waiver claims and I assume they know better than I do…but I hope there is a plan to make another move that will utilize the cap we gained from this move. A second round pick is not something we should be throwing away, Stilman is a decent pickup and the additional cap can make this a good move IMHO only if they can use it to improve the D on the right side somehow. 

50 minutes ago, coryberg said:

They extended him to a more realistic number, and why wouldn't they? He's 25 years old and there is a chance that he could rebound in a new environment. You sign him while his stock is low and you have a shot at getting a bargain. If he completely flops in Tampa they can bury him next year at a cap penalty of only $250,000 (1.4 million minus 1.15 buried threshold). 

The problem isn't his contract for next year, the problem is that he is making too much on the cap this year and wayyyyyyyyyy to much money this year. His current contract has negative value as proven this afternoon (and last season when he cleared waivers as well). It's painful obvious.

They still don't want to lose him and see him as a roster regular.  They waived him only because they are trying to maximise their LTIR relief.  He'll be recalled on time for the game tomorrow.

The main reason we did not claim Myers was because it made our ASCL calculation awkward.

scenario 1. we place Myers and Ferland on LTIR, would create an ASCL calculation 2M below optimum, once Myers is healthy we would be 4M over cap, that would screw us over.

scenario 2. we would have to waive Lazar to AHL. Place Dermott Di Guiseppe, Plasek and Ferland on LTIR. Once dermott is healthy we would potentially 1.4 million over cap with a 24 man roster if no other injuries the likely player to be waived would be Phillipe Myers. and we would not be able to recall Lazar until a real LTIR injury Occurs to a forward making 1M+

Scenario 3. we would have to waive Aman and recall Dowling. Place Dermott Di Guiseppe, Plasek and Ferland on LTIR. Once dermott is healthy we would potentially 1.4 million over cap with a 24 man roster if no other injuries the likely player to be waived would be Phillipe Myers.  and we would not be able to recall Aman until a real LTIR injury Occurs to a player making 886k+

Scenario 4 we waive Burroughs and Karlsson. Place Di Guiseppe, Plasek and Ferland on LTIR. we would be operating with a 20 man roster until dermott became healthy.

all these situations sound bad.

I made many edits to this because being a GM is hard. imagine a forward player went down for like 2-or 3 games, all these scenario's involve running 12 forwards, it would be slightly uncomfortable if we were forced to place someone on LTIR unneedingly

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Cheers 2

All this talk of trying to get cap flexibility maybe they shouldn’t have signed Mikeyev to 4.75 mill a year. I mean the team already has Boeser, Garland, Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, Hoglander and Pearson to occupy the top 3 lines. Feel like that was a luxury we couldn’t afford for a winger. We’re hitting a cap crunch and it’s going to hurt even more trying to cover Millers and Horvats raises for next year or potentially losing a superior player in Kuzmenko because we already spent on Mikeyev.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Amebushi said:

I am a little more patient than some around here and understand that juggling the cap and planning for the future are important, but why did we trade another second rounder for cap space if we aren’t even going to take a stab at improving the defence?  Still crossing my fingers that a bigger trade is coming…Bo unsigned, injuries all over and our D kinda looks like a tire fire. Hoping PA has something up his sleeve soon, but really starting to question the design of a “who needs RD?”

Bigger trade to come…?

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I don’t disagree with the trade…Dickie is a cap dump and Stillman is an LHD that makes us a little tougher to play against if he can crack the lineup. Cap is key…but is worthless unless you use it. Management decided not to make any waiver claims and I assume they know better than I do…but I hope there is a plan to make another move that will utilize the cap we gained from this move. A second round pick is not something we should be throwing away, Stilman is a decent pickup and the additional cap can make this a good move IMHO only if they can use it to improve the D on the right side somehow. 

We may have to accumulate it in smaller pieces before we can make a trade (or sign) a RD of 1st or 2nd pairing quality.

Also, before the Stillman trade, we really did not have a 3LD that was both capable and stern.

We were a little spoiled if you will, with the Q & O Railroad comin' down the left side and that has covered somewhat for the weak right side.

The more I see of this management team, the more impressed I am, and the more I think they will improve the right side D.

It is just going to take some time; when big days like today come and go, it is a let-down to not see anything more done.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, mll said:

They still don't want to lose him and see him as a roster regular.  They waived him only because they are trying to maximise their LTIR relief.  He'll be recalled on time for the game tomorrow.

You are assuming they didn't want to lose him. They had the choice to waive a different player but he was the obvious choice. In a perfect world for them he gets claimed, they replace their #6 with their #7 and have 2.55 million in cap space to utilize. That didn't happen so they will carry on with the hand they were dealt.

The same thing would have happened had we not paid the piper to get rid of Dickenson. We could have tried to waive Dickenson. When nobody claimed him he would have undoubtedly been brought up for a bottom of the lineup role. Would you take that as us not wanting to lose him as a roster regular?

34 minutes ago, coryberg said:

You are assuming they didn't want to lose him. They had the choice to waive a different player but he was the obvious choice. In a perfect world for them he gets claimed, they replace their #6 with their #7 and have 2.55 million in cap space to utilize. That didn't happen so they will carry on with the hand they were dealt.

The same thing would have happened had we not paid the piper to get rid of Dickenson. We could have tried to waive Dickenson. When nobody claimed him he would have undoubtedly been brought up for a bottom of the lineup role. Would you take that as us not wanting to lose him as a roster regular?

If they wanted him claimed, they wouldn't have extended him.  Also a Myers buyout would have created over 600K in cap space because of the way his contract was structured - ie instead of having a cap of 82.5M for their regular roster they could have operated at over 83M.  Instead of buying him out and gaining cap space they extended him.  

He was the most likely not to get claimed because of his salary and the role he had last season.   To maximise LTIR they had to waive 1.125M worth in cap space - ie someone with a lower cap hit than that wouldn't have helped + the risk of getting claimed would have increased.  They obviously weren't going to waive Cernak, Sergachev etc.  There weren't that many choice on who to waive to create that 1.125M in cap space as to maximise their LTIR relief.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

All this talk of trying to get cap flexibility maybe they shouldn’t have signed Mikeyev to 4.75 mill a year. I mean the team already has Boeser, Garland, Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, Hoglander and Pearson to occupy the top 3 lines. Feel like that was a luxury we couldn’t afford for a winger. We’re hitting a cap crunch and it’s going to hurt even more trying to cover Millers and Horvats raises for next year or potentially losing a superior player in Kuzmenko because we already spent on Mikeyev.

None of those guys are really PK'ers though.  Podkolzin/Hoglander maybe in the future, but our PK was trash last year.  Horvat and Miller not great at PK, but on there because we didnt have much else but them along with Pettersson are not going to block many shots.  Lazar and Mikheyev should help make those forward pairs better on the PK.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, coryberg said:

P Myers was a #7 dman last year logging less than 15 minutes and only played in a third of his teams games. 2.55 mil AAV is not ideal for that type of player. When you factor in the fact that his base salary is 3.8 million this season there is little wonder on why he cleared.

40 minutes ago, mll said:

He was the most likely not to get claimed because of his salary and the role he had last season.

Clap Applause GIF

Jokes aside, regarding Myers2 I think it’s something like Petey_boi posted (cap / roster considerations) combined with the fact we have a few depth, physical RD already signed - with Schenn and Burroughs coming in cheaper.

I also believe management when they keep repeating that they like Poolman, at least in that they’re willing to give him a chance before eating his salary or paying to dump it.

16 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah but he could just as likely be unmovable. Quite the pickle. It makes it extremely hard to jump on opportunities like this when they arise.

yep. But we're free of 5.9 mil of Benning bucks for next year. This season was always going to be a challenge to fix everything at once. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

We may have to accumulate it in smaller pieces before we can make a trade (or sign) a RD of 1st or 2nd pairing quality.

Also, before the Stillman trade, we really did not have a 3LD that was both capable and stern.

We were a little spoiled if you will, with the Q & O Railroad comin' down the left side and that has covered somewhat for the weak right side.

The more I see of this management team, the more impressed I am, and the more I think they will improve the right side D.

It is just going to take some time; when big days like today come and go, it is a let-down to not see anything more done.

I just want to point out how nice it is to have a little back and forth on a forum without any negativity. My scepticism built up over years of being a Canuck fan may have me chomping for more immediate results, but you are correct. They may be accumulating more cap yet through other moves/injuries/what have you for something more substantial down the right side. While things are not happening as quickly as I would like JR and PA have not made any glaringly bad moves yet and I will continue to support their vision. At least it appears that there is one haha. Cheers!

• Cheers 1