The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 64 players - Oct. 09, 2022

33 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

The TB Lightning chapter in the Hockey News 2022-23 Yearbook says that Myers' play has been "trending the wrong way over the past couple of years".  Maybe the Canucks should take a look at those advanced stats before grabbing him..

Yea but you forget the main thing about us… we’re desperate 

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

6’5” right shot D man?

Easy claim. I’d actually take Myers and Tierny to be honest.

Only problem is we have to keep them on the roster.   Myers maybe though.  Tierney is way past his peak ... rather have Lazar for sure on the ice opening night.    Myers over Burroughs or Poolman ...  now that's intriguing.   

3 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Not sure I’ve been this excited about a potential waiver wire pickup. Not sure what this says about the Canucks defense :ph34r:

Well we did pick up Gelinas off waivers in 94, and he became an important piece of that oh so close to a  championship team.   Led the team in scoring once too.   Wish all our wingers watched tape on Gelinas, fast and went to the dirty areas every shift if he could, during mostly the dead puck era for us ... so who knows.   That same year Ray Whitney was also picked up from waivers ... crazy but true. 

IF we go there, i'd much rather we take a chance on a young guy (Myers?) then an old vet hanging on by his fingernails.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Well we did pick up Gelinas off waivers in 94, and he became an important piece of that oh so close to a  championship team.   Led the team in scoring once too.   Wish all our wingers watched tape on Gelinas, fast and went to the dirty areas every shift if he could, during mostly the dead puck era for us ... so who knows.   That same year Ray Whitney was also picked up from waivers ... crazy but true. 

IF we go there, i'd much rather we take a chance on a young guy (Myers?) then an old vet hanging on by his fingernails.  

I loved Gelinas - I guess I forgot we got him off waivers.

I won't ever forget though when we placed Markstrom on waivers and just bit our nails for 24 hours.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Unfortunately,  I think there's a close to zero chance we claim anyone. I didn't realize how dicey the cap situation really is, but Stephen  Roget's most recent CA article does a really good job of outlining the situation:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/ltir-explained-exactly-how-canucks-set-opening-day-roster-stay-compliant-why

It seems like without the Dickinson trade we wouldn't have even been able to ice a full team, let alone carry any extras, with all the players we have who are currently injured,  but won't be out long enough to be put on LTI.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, mll said:

They should have the cap space to claim him as Ferland will be going on LTIR.  They would have been cap compliant with Dickinson and Ph. Myers has a slightly lower cap hit.  They would need to waive Stillman and could also maybe put Dermott on LTIR.  

Myers was waived by Nashville and no one put in a claim last season.  He has a 2.55M cap hit but is owed 3.8M in salary this season and Tampa has also extended him at 1.4M for next season.  Kind of expensive if it doesn't work out and no one picks him back up.  

it is expensive, but its all salary risk and no loss of prospects. We just gave up a 2nd, if this waiver grab works even if PM only becomes a 3rd pair d then the value of that pick is recovered. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am going to really be surprised if Myers and Reilly in particular are not claimed. I could see Ottawa taking a shot at bringing Reilly back tbh. 

How often do you get the chance to pick a legitimate Top 4 D-Man from the waiver wire? To acquire a top 4 D-Man via trade cost you at least a 2nd round pick + a prospect. Time to act immediately. 

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am going to really be surprised if Myers and Reilly in particular are not claimed. I could see Ottawa taking a shot at bringing Reilly back tbh. 

I would be surprised if they were.  They aren't really cheap contracts to take on if they don't work out.  Neither contract can be fully buried + they each have another year.

Boston probably tried to trade Reilly before putting him on waivers - even if only for future considerations as it's still better than having dead cap on the books.  Also in a trade the  team acquiring him can hope to move another contract even if it's an AHLer sent back re the 50 contract limit.  

Tampa wants to retain Myers - was only waived so they could paper him down to try and maximise their LTIR relief.  Myers' salary is 3.8M this season alone (2.55M cap hit) and Tampa has already extended him at 1.4M for next season.  Although TBL doesn't want to lose him, not sure a team would risk being stuck with that contract if he ends up not fitting in.  Myers was already waived last TDL and went unclaimed - that was before he had that additional year.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Unfortunately,  I think there's a close to zero chance we claim anyone. I didn't realize how dicey the cap situation really is, but Stephen  Roget's most recent CA article does a really good job of outlining the situation:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/ltir-explained-exactly-how-canucks-set-opening-day-roster-stay-compliant-why

It seems like without the Dickinson trade we wouldn't have even been able to ice a full team, let alone carry any extras, with all the players we have who are currently injured,  but won't be out long enough to be put on LTI.

I feel like this summer involved too many signings and no trades. I still have reservations about re-signing Miller and not dealing with the Horvat issue.

Edited by Dazzle

2 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

I loved Gelinas - I guess I forgot we got him off waivers.

I won't ever forget though when we placed Markstrom on waivers and just bit our nails for 24 hours.

Ohhhhh brings back cup run memories from the 90s!! Still remember Nathan Lafayette?? Wasn't he a great waivers pickup too?

12 minutes ago, mll said:

I would be surprised if they were.  They aren't really cheap contracts to take on if they don't work out.  Neither contract can be fully buried + they each have another year.

Boston probably tried to trade Reilly before putting him on waivers - even if only for future considerations as it's still better than having dead cap on the books.  Also in a trade the  team acquiring him can hope to move another contract even if it's an AHLer sent back re the 50 contract limit.  

Tampa wants to retain Myers - was only waived so they could paper him down to try and maximise their LTIR relief.  Myers' salary is 3.8M this season alone (2.55M cap hit) and Tampa has already extended him at 1.4M for next season.  Although TBL doesn't want to lose him, not sure a team would risk being stuck with that contract if he ends up not fitting in.  Myers was already waived last TDL and went unclaimed - that was before he had that additional year.

If we play Burroughs and Stillman as our bottom pair, wouldn’t their total cap be less than what Philip Myers gets?  

Just now, Alflives said:

If we play Burroughs and Stillman as our bottom pair, wouldn’t their total cap be less than what Philip Myers gets?  

they might be looking ahead to next year, if P.Myers can be just as effective as T.Myers, we have a replacement ready for cheap.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, sarjakd said:

Is it noon EST or PST?

2pm EST.

Used to be noon but it was a disadvantage for teams in the West given the time difference, so waivers have been pushed back to 2pm EST - was changed last season.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Actually, it's 11am PST.  Used to be noon EST.

Just keep your eyes out for @-Vintage Canuck-'s post regarding the waiver wire.  He usually shares the tweets of who's on waivers within the minute of the lists being released.  :lol:

8 minutes ago, mll said:

2pm EST.

Used to be noon but it was a disadvantage for teams in the West given the time difference, so waivers have been pushed back to 2pm EST - was changed last season.

Thank you both

• There it is 1