The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Confirmed starting Roster

Rate this topic

1stLiner

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

People said the exact same thing about Panarin. Now, the odds Kuz is as good as Panarin aren't high, but being the top player in the 2nd best league in the world is certainly intriguing. The eye test in his 4 games this preseason confirm his potential as a 1st line forward, in my opinion.

Sure, but not top tier. 60-80 points is FANTASTIC so is a top line player.

It's not top tier.

33 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

This is the best offensive depth since I’ve been watching (2004). It’s undebatable honestly.

That's how i feel too.   Thanks for your honesty.   We've had some very good teams since 2001-2002... what i wished for all of us, was that the Sedins primes started earlier and matched up with Naslund and Bertuzzi.   If that happened that would be the team we'd be admiring now, even with Cloutier in net!  

Everyone's glory days are little different. The Sedin teams glory days are for sure a great bar to consider.   It's post lockout.   Still a lot of toughness a little hate left in the sport (we had a rivalry with CHI, not the best one - that was CAL or even WNP was better early 90's, but glad you got to see that) ... and it's really high bar to compare too. 

This is the first team, since the early 90's that ive seen,  with the right mix of forwards to make goalies and opposing teams D's worried about what shift is out on the ice.   Not physically lol, that started to leave the sport  around when you started watching the sport (post lockout).   But on the scoresheet.    

Maybe im overly optimistic.    But also have that gut feeling coming back.   Same one i had when we traded for Luongo, same one when we traded for Mogilny.   Spidey sense is tingling,  I don't think Messier is coming, or Sundin (IF he came, and signed that 2 year contract, no peak Sedin era it would have been a tragic mistake from a rookie GM rewarding his former client, and that's the best thing Sundin ever did for the Canucks, not taking the max and playing two seasons for us! 2 x 10... after a one year 5.35ish deal in TO... just wow)  ... do feel that this team will get this year to prove itself.   

Maybe it's just indigestion lol.   This team has also given me a fair bit of that. As far as forward depth goes - we've got that right now.  It is undeniable.   Anyone who says differently ... well not sure what team they've been watching.   Have to go back to the 90's really.  

Bruce is going to coach this team to its strengths.   He's said as much enough times.  Rolling three lines.   And that's going to help our weakling D.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's how i feel too.   Thanks for your honesty.   We've had some very good teams since 2001-2002... what i wished for all of us, was that the Sedins primes started earlier and matched up with Naslund and Bertuzzi.   If that happened that would be the team we'd be admiring now, even with Cloutier in net!  

Everyone's glory days are little different. The Sedin teams glory days are for sure a great bar to consider.   It's post lockout.   Still a lot of toughness a little hate left in the sport (we had a rivalry with CHI, not the best one - that was CAL or even WNP was better early 90's, but glad you got to see that) ... and it's really high bar to compare too. 

This is the first team, since the early 90's that ive seen,  with the right mix of forwards to make goalies and opposing teams D's worried about what shift is out on the ice.   Not physically lol, that started to leave the sport  around when you started watching the sport (post lockout).   But on the scoresheet.    

Maybe im overly optimistic.    But also have that gut feeling coming back.   Same one i had when we traded for Luongo, same one when we traded for Mogilny.   Spidey sense is tingling,  I don't think Messier is coming, or Sundin (IF he came, and signed that 2 year contract, no peak Sedin era it would have been a tragic mistake from a rookie GM rewarding his former client, and that's the best thing Sundin ever did for the Canucks, not taking the max and playing two seasons for us! 2 x 10... after a one year 5.35ish deal in TO... just wow)  ... do feel that this team will get this year to prove itself.   

Maybe it's just indigestion lol.   This team has also given me a fair bit of that. As far as forward depth goes - we've got that right now.  It is undeniable.   Anyone who says differently ... well not sure what team they've been watching.   Have to go back to the 90's really.  

Bruce is going to coach this team to its strengths.   He's said as much enough times.  Rolling three lines.   And that's going to help our weakling D.  

The forwards look pretty good on paper but the proof is when they get on the ice for the regular season. I've had those same feelings many times but reality has changed by the time the season is underway.

What do you mean by anyone who says differently ... not sure what they've been watching? This team hasn't played a single game yet?

Edit: I guess you mean just watching years past ... yeah sure but like I said above it always looks good before you start already knowing the past failures.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is exactly it. People are overselling a bunch of unproven players as "top tier". Ridiculous homerism.

You can watch kuzmenko’s skating, passing and shot, and see his potential right away. Doesn’t matter if it’s just preseason. Some players just pass the eye test and Kuzmenko has definitely done that. 

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is exactly it. People are overselling a bunch of unproven players as "top tier". Ridiculous homerism.

thats actually not a valid rebuttal. Its just being crabby. 

So where does this F group rank then? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, wildwood12 said:

TSN panel predicts Canucks to miss playoffs, and finish 5th in their division.

Craig Button says Canucks are a crappy team and Calgary will win the Stanley Cup this year.

They aren't that wrong. That is a horrendous defense corp.  Easily one of the worst in the league. If anything happens to Demko we are going to lose a lot of games.  The NHL has shown time and again that you cannot run a team out with the hopes of outscoring your problems.  Demko last year was the only reason we finished as good as we did.

We need better defensemen, bottom line we have 1 top 2 defenseman and then a 4 and a bunch of 6-8s.

Forward group is strong but we are going to get exposed in defensive zone all year.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

They aren't that wrong. That is a horrendous defense corp.  Easily one of the worst in the league. If anything happens to Demko we are going to lose a lot of games.  The NHL has shown time and again that you cannot run a team out with the hopes of outscoring your problems.  Demko last year was the only reason we finished as good as we did.

We need better defensemen, bottom line we have 1 top 2 defenseman and then a 4 and a bunch of 6-8s.

Forward group is strong but we are going to get exposed in defensive zone all year.

Bolded above is flat out BS.

Quinn #1 D on almost any club.

OEL #1 D on most clubs.

Myers #3 D (#2 RD) ".

Poolman #4D (#3 RD) ".

I wish people would not respond to TSN and Buttons' click bait (especially if they believe it).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

OEL #1 D on most clubs.

Myers #3 D (#2 RD) ".

Poolman #4D (#3 RD) ".

I wish people would not respond to TSN and Buttons' click bait (especially if they believe it).

Yes I watched that ridiculous panel ranking Canucks 5th???

1. Calgary 2. Edmonton 3. Vancouver 4. LA Kings 5. Vegas..

I always say OEL is for sure a #2 D man -- Myers #3 -- Hughes for sure #1 D man.. 

Canucks forwards. 8th 

Canucks Defence   16th

Goal --------            10th -- Demko #5----((Martin ? should play 25 games-15 wins --GAA 2.85 - SA% 910 ?)

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

You can watch kuzmenko’s skating, passing and shot, and see his potential right away. Doesn’t matter if it’s just preseason. Some players just pass the eye test and Kuzmenko has definitely done that. 

Yeah, he passes the eye test but as what? A 15 goal 15 assist guy, a great defensive presence that can protect Petey, a 30 goal 30 assist guy, a winger version of Bergeron, or a 50 goal player? We really don't know yet how he'll translate to real NHL games?

These are the types of things that go into determining just how good this promising looking group can be.

There's this idea that if you think the team is gonna suck you hate them. 

It's absolutely necessary to be critical of the team until we win a cup or we get too complacent. 

I also think it's funny how if there's an article explaining what kind of help we need or explaining why we aren't good enough they are "trash journalists " even though we've never won a cup.

I get we're all fans here but sometimes you gotta accept we're not there yet. 

Last season we made a nice push for the playoffs but just fell short. And if anyone said anything bad about the team they weren't "real fans."

My suggestion don't get mad about these predictions, use them as fuel.  

Until something is actually done on the ice to prove the naysayers wrong they are absolutely right.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

OEL #1 D on most clubs.

Myers #3 D (#2 RD) ".

Poolman #4D (#3 RD) ".

Homerism as it's finest ... lol

Myers #3 :sick: ... ridiculous

Poolman #4 :picard: ... beyond ridiculous

Head In The Clouds Dreaming GIF by kimburgerly

Come on! lol 

Quinn is a #2

OEL is a #3 on our club ... borderline #2 elsewhere

@PLOGUE you nailed it!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Looking on LA Kings roster for 2022-23 season list 5 RD and 3 LD  would sure be nice to make a trade with LA Kings for a right D man..

What are you willing to give up?

An unprotected first?

Podz?

LA is not going to be charitable and just trade you a RHD for scraps. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

OEL #1 D on most clubs.

Myers #3 D (#2 RD) ".

Poolman #4D (#3 RD) ".

Ehhh I see them more as:

Quinn = #1

OEL = #2

Myers = #4/5

Everyone Else: #6-8

If we just get a partner for Hughes, or move OEL with Hughes and give a partner for Myers, everything fits in smoothly. It's unfortunate because we had that guy in Tanev and let him go. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Come on! lol 

Quinn is a #2

@PLOGUE you nailed it!

2/1-2

4-5/4-5

6/6

I think this is the quality we have at the moment. Two #2  on the top pair in OEL and Hughes (with Hughes having the potential to be a #1), Poolman and Myers are 4/5 guys, and we have several decent options for the bottom pairing.

Its not world beating but the "worst in the league" stuff isn't supported by the actual numbers. They were a little below average last year once Bruce took over. 

With the new additions I'm hoping for league average which shouldn't be out of the question.

I am cautiously optimistic. I was pretty hyped about our forward core last season, but this year is a definite improvement. Kuzmenko and Mikheyev are the wild cards for me, but if Boeser can have a bounceback season, Petey can show more than just a glimpse of his ceiling, and Miller can maintain a point per game season, the Canucks will be well on their way to being a top 10 scoring team.

I'm also pretty jacked about the 4th line. Joshua-Aman-Lazar is everything I wished Highmore-Lamikko-Motte would be, but with snarl. Should cause some headaches for opponents. 

Still iffy about the D-core, but I think they're better than the analysts give them credit for. Myers is a solid top 4 who's only real fault is his contract (which ironically not any actual fault of his). He'd get alot more praise at $4-4.5 Million. We're going to miss him for the next couple few weeks. Poolman is solid on the backend, though I cringe anytime he pinches or handles the puck in the o-zone. Hopefully his pairing with OEL brings the best out of both of them. Schenn is stabilizing, though ideally his 20 minute nights are minimal. Burroughs is an underatted 5-6 d-man who I hope continues to get more opportunity to shine. Wildcards for me are Rathbone, Dermott, and Stillman. Can any of those 3 provide stability on the bottom pair? Which of them will provide more consistent benefit to the D-core as a whole? Can Rathbone shine with sheltered minutes in a more offensive-minded role, or develop his defensive game at the NHL level? Can Dermott realize his potential as a fringe top 4 Defenseman and provide balance on either the left or right side? Can Stillman be a solid fixture on the bottom pair and realize PA's vision of a prototypical hard hitting top 6 D? Which of them ends up on the block?

Looking forward to the season! GCG!

49 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Come on! lol 

Quinn is a #2

@PLOGUE you nailed it!

Poolman doesn't even make Calgary and he's a number 4?

Stillman and Burroughs don't make it. Schenn is a maybe.

Honestly Myers wouldn't make Calgary with his contract. Skill wise he's a fine #4.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

OEL #1 D on most clubs.

Myers #3 D (#2 RD) ".

Poolman #4D (#3 RD) ".

Poolman doesn't make Nashville.

People said it was clickbait last year too....

• Cheers 1