The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

bo haven't seemed interested the entire preseason and this game.. maybe the contract negotiation is getting to him with the uncertainty of if the team is trying to trade him or not. JT already in mid season form with his defensive plays and blind pass.. Hoglander needs to come off EP's line and put in Podkolzin till Mikheyev is back.. defence is still terrible.. when playing mcdavid you literally needs to run at him and put his ass on the ice.. u can't back off and let him skate into or thru you.. EP kuz looked great.. even with the giveaway that lead to a goal with EP at least he was hassling to get back to defend.. unlike the other 3 players on the PP that didn't give a f as usual.. onto the next game.. this road trips looks brutal compared to the gimme last year playing 4 or 5 lottery team.. only gimme on the trip is against the flyers. washington new look columbus back to back wild will be rough lol.. it's not inconceivable we start the season 1-4.. hopefully we can steal a win in washington and columbus

Honestly I rather face good teams early in te season while they are rusty and trying to figure out systems versus facing them when they are at their peak. So give us Tampa, colorado, rangers etc. Just look at Toronto, they lost to Montreal.

I don't like the Oilers.  I don't like anything about them.  I don't like how they play.  I don't like their uniforms.  I don't like the colour orange.  I don't understand the structure of their game, which makes them frustrating as an opposing fan to watch. I guess they compete hard enough.  I don't think they'll ever get to a cup final playing the way they do.  They played lazy, dirty, bitchy hockey tonight and were rightfully penalized a lot for it except for that one time when it really mattered.  Frustrating as the Canucks powerplay should have made them pay.    

• Like 1

I don’t like Anthony Stewart as a commentator.  It’s so obvious he doesn’t like Vancouver.  I’d prefer if he wasn’t on broadcasts that feature the Canucks.  His take on the Nurse hit on Burroughs was a bad take.  Canucks scorred on the ensuing power-play and he still stood by his take at the end of the night.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Actually the 3-5 part of the game shows Canucka have very weak D especially when Myers is out which makes them painfully inept. Tanev would never lose coverage on McDavid but too bad Benning thought he was a really smart and bold GM and didnt sign Tanev

Knowing our luck, If we had re-signed Tanev we would have another Dman out.

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Terrible game by Pearson, Horvat and Miller.

We. Need. Defence.

I’m so tired of the lack of "heart and soul" from Horvat on a consistent basis and I love Miller but his yo-yo effort games are frustrating. Pettersson, Hughes and Demko can’t carry this team on their own.

Also, don’t blame the missed call. Good teams don’t break down after one bad goal.

I thought that Pearson was very good tonight and had a lot of jump.  Sometimes he can look bad as he's around the puck a lot in our defensive zone but that's more of a sign that he's always covering back when the rest of the forwards blow the zone or get caught up ice.  

Horvat missed a lot of chances and got caught on the wrong side of the puck on the power play.  I thought that Miller had brilliant moments and also a couple of shaky ones defensively...  yo-yo effort game as you said.  

On to the next one, lots of positives to take out of this game. 

Only got to see the highlights and box score, but seems like a bit of an over kill on these pages...

Scored 3 unanswered goals to start the game, numerous chances to kill the Game, no Myers in defence, away game....

Lets get a few more games under the belt before we burn the barn down and chase everyone out... 

• Cheers 1

Pretty cool how ramped up NHL teams are on opening night.  Thought the LA vs. VGK game last night, like tonight's tilt, was a high energy game.  Canucks players looked visibly upset about losing this one.  They played hard.  A lot about what will help them win games this season was on tonight, but special teams need to be special to win in this league.    

They outplayed the Oilers 5 on 5, but with 8 powerplays you need to cash in more than once, especially with all the talent upfront. That non call on Hughes getting highsticked in the face was definately the turning point, would have been a double minor and cancelled out the Oilers powerplay

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Actually the 3-5 part of the game shows Canucka have very weak D especially when Myers is out which makes them painfully inept. Tanev would never lose coverage on McDavid but too bad Benning thought he was a really smart and bold GM and didnt sign Tanev

I'm going to disagree, because it wasn't just the D that changed after the first Edmonton goal, it was the entire team. They started playing passively and basically waiting for Oiler attacks. Too many times both forwards and Dmen let McDavid go on without the puck and then of course he got the puck again and scored. Yes he's fast and skillful, but why did no one cover him once Pearson lost him? There's needs to be covering of the basics - remember who is on the ice and never let the top players without coverage. ( That's a team issue )

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

"Tanev would never lose coverage on McDavid"?!?  

McDavid had 12 points in 5 games against Calgary in the playoffs!  

He had 7 points in 4 regular season games against them last year. 

1 minute ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I'm going to disagree, because it wasn't just the D that changed after the first Edmonton goal, it was the entire team. They started playing passively and basically waiting for Oiler attacks. Too many times both forwards and Dmen let McDavid go on without the puck and then of course he got the puck again and scored. Yes he's fast and skillful, but why did no one cover him once Pearson lost him? There's needs to be covering of the basics - remember who is on the ice and never let the top players without coverage. ( That's a team issue )

Quinn Hughes didn't take anyone decisively on that play while Pearson was battling for the puck.  Quinn needed to step up on the 50/50 play or else switch off on McDavid after the play developed.  

OEL and Poolman did a very good job actually tonight.  OEL was actually the one carrying that pairing and they did a great job at 5 on 5 against McDavid.  

Burroughs and Stillman were good enough, nothing to write home about...  

Schenn threw some big hits, but did get caught flat footed a few times. 

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Only got to see the highlights and box score, but seems like a bit of an over kill on these pages...

Scored 3 unanswered goals to start the game, numerous chances to kill the Game, no Myers in defence, away game....

Lets get a few more games under the belt before we burn the barn down and chase everyone out... 

Nah, it's time for a full rebuild. Can't believe we lost a game in October. Completely unacceptable.

With that said, it is disappointing to choke a 3 goal lead. But I won't lose my mind at least until after Halloween. Too much candy to be nerd raging about game 1 in a 82 game season.