The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Agreed. The issue with Hogs is not his compete. Guy is fast and makes great plays, but for whatever reason all his efforts simply don't transfer into points. 

I've said this before he reminds me of a young jannik Hansen. All the effort but when the pucks on his stick in the slot his hands turn to stone.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

you are correct, imo. Pearson is a 3rd liner now for sure. 

Its interesting to look at that lineup configuration.... its pretty hard not to see Bo's line as the one that is most ripe for a major shake up. 

Pearson   Horvat    Boeser

At one time that was our top line. So at least we are making progress. I could see this entire line being traded at some point. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I've said this before he reminds me of a young jannik Hansen. All the effort but when the pucks on his stick in the slot his hands turn to stone.

which is insane to me because the kid obviously showed he has slick hands with the Michigan and all.  Shooting / finish just isnt there

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The difference is Garland can play in your top 6 and has speed for today's game.  Tanner Pearson cannot play in the top 6 and is lacking speed.  Also, Garland can be effective on the 2nd unit PP if he is deployed there, he has a good shot and is good on the half wall at getting around the opposition's defenders.  Garland should be playing more on the PP to be honest.  He has value there...

tanner pearson has been a low tier bottom 6 forward for ten years.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You actually think this is all a setup to get rid of Bruce? Come on now.

They didn’t improve the D core because they didn’t have the cap space and weren’t willing to part with the assets it would have cost to upgrade.

As for Bo “sulking” because he doesn’t have a contract that’s bs. Miller just signed a fat contract and he’s playing the same way. 

This team is just taking time to gel and injuries on D are forcing them to adapt a bit. I don’t think we played that badly in either game that we couldn’t have easily pulled out two W’s. A bit better finish, stronger kills on the pk, and of course not giving up two shorties, and we’re not talking about any of this.

Its a fine line between winning and losing and right now they’re finding ways to lose rathe than win. Eliminate some of the mistakes and this team should be fine.

Closing out games, is the toughest thing to do - imo and despite, the hot start to a game - how a team losses or win matters.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Regarding this talk about Boudreau ….. doesnt it seem obvious that the team is playing SO much better structurally than at any point with Green / Canucks PP has been shooting themselves in the foot with poor decisions which costed them 2 games?

5 on 5, yes. Special teams, not so much. I wonder which part Boudreau is more responsible for…

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'm really worried that Yeoh was hired to be the replacement.  I still think the D needs more time to be evaluated due to the damage Green and Baumgartner did to that group over their tenure here.  This is the group's first full season under an actual coach and there will be some growing pains.  While they do need one more top 4 guy, it's nowhere nearly as bad as Toronto or Edmonton.

So our defence players are so weak they've been completely undone by coaching to the point it takes them YEARS to recover? Sure doesn't sound better than the Oilers or Toronto.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

So our defence players are so weak they've been completely undone by coaching to the point it takes them YEARS to recover? Sure doesn't sound better than the Oilers or Toronto.

They are at least NHL quality players, unlike the trash that Toronto and Edmonton call defencemen.  You're really underestimating just how bad Green and Baumgartner were.

Edited by King Heffy

Man people need to get over themselves and let the team play and get used to each other. 

It's not as bad last year but there's always a adjustment period and we haven't had Mike in the lineup either and 2 dmen down on top of that. 

Like I said a few weeks ago, wait until we lose 2 in a row and Canucks nation would lose their $hit and scream tear it down.. 

So here we are and it's happening and the media is jumping on board... 

I guess some things never change.. 

Blah, it's getting old as selling the farm routine and never winning a cup. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I am too. We have heard for years "We need to be better". Well when are they going to put what they say to actual "on ice" performance? If it hasn't happened yet, I don't think it will later in the season and for sure not in the post season. We seen the same in the preseason too.

Frustrating.

Whatever we do don't draft or trade for any RD ... ever. :sadno:

22 hours ago, chon derry said:

Having played and gone thru  tryouts ,invitational tryouts  it’s not all about evaluation from coaching mng prospective  but preparedness is everything from the player perspective   Whether it’s preparing for a single preseason mean nothing game or a reg season game .  But I’m talking evaluation and preparation of a whole season and if you think that losing a few games early in the season is something an NHL team can afford to do with the way team parody is your fooling yourself not me. This team wasn’t ,isn’t quite ready and my argument is  valid. 

Only valid to you, because you're already in the mindset that the sky is falling.  It's ONLY 2 games.  If there is so much parody among the league then why doesn't it matter to Carolina that they didn't come "prepared" into the season by not playing their stars in the last preseason game.  Your excuse is now going to be, well they don't have to worry cause they're a contender, therefore now you're moving goalposts once again.  

The team is not going to be prepared for EVERY game.  It's too long of a season for it to happen.  Sometimes they'll just go through the emotions.  Right now, the team is in a little funk.  But at least they've been in the games.  In fact they've come out pretty strong.  It's the 3rd periods that have cost them both games.  Lack of execution right now.  I think JT is going to be fine.  He's just not in sync right now.  As for Bo, maybe the contract situation is becoming a big distraction for him.  Boeser, I give a pass right now, since these are like his first 2 "preseason" games to try to get into game speed.

On 10/15/2022 at 3:43 PM, hockeyville88 said:

I couldn’t believe our first period against Edmonton. We looked so good. What the hell happened since

its a hurry up world

didn't you know the Stanley Cup was awarded after the first period of the season

On 10/15/2022 at 3:50 PM, AnotherCanucksFan said:

What is going on with Miller?

Two goals tonight where he was directly responsible for catching or keeping in contact with a player and didn't. 

Why do the Canucks keep passing the puck around so much?

Stop overcomplicating things. How many times did the Canucks either pass the puck too much or hold onto the puck too long and guess what - lost the puck! When you have to puck it should be a rule that you have to shoot on net after 3 passes. Even more so on the PP - shoot the puck and look for the puck NOT keep passing for the perfect shot!

This is going to be a LONG season if it keeps going this way. In both games, the Canucks are playing like they think they are the better team, but then find themselves losing because the other team fought harder for the puck.

Oh, OOH Oh Ooh I can answer this one

but I just have one question first 

who was the last Canuck you saw set a screen in front of the goalie?

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2022 at 3:54 PM, GB5 said:

I can accept losing when the team plays hard and puts in the effort.

This though is embarrassing. The best player(s) were horrible, Miller seems disinterested, special teams suck and aside from a couple players this is still Benning's team.

Nothing has changed this year to impact tbe core of the team which is depressing.

Ah but things did change

Scott Walker out

Brad Shaw out

Kyle Gustavson out

Mike Yeo in

Trent Cull promoted to the bug team

Rachel Dorrie in then out again\

Jason King retained

maybe, just maybe it was Scott, there it is

or 

Brad, there it is

probably wasn't Kyle, there it is, but you never know

pretty sure at this point it won't be Mike, there it is

or 

Trent, there it is

but it very well might be Jason, there he went

does anyone have the Canuck record after Scott Walker got injured?

I'm betting it was close to .500 

Edited by lmm
  • Cheers 1