The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New league heavyweight champ?

Rate this topic

Provost

22 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal players must be feeling pretty good knowing they have this kid backing them up 

You are pretty excited for the Habs, I can feel it haha 

I used to be a fan, hence my username...  but after about 10 years of living in Vancouver, I slowly migrated over.  The last time that I could call myself a fan of both teams was probably 2014, when the Rangers injured Carey Price.  I could've sworn that it was going to be the year that the Canadian teams were going to break out of their slump.  

This is shaping up to be a fun season for the Habs as there's not many expectations, so everything will be considered a victory as long as they're playing the young guys.  

One note:  Marc Bergevin and Jim Benning have something in common.  They were both one of the only GMs left that were serving in an organization that didn't have a President of Hockey Operations.  Geoff Molson admitted that it was a big mistake, especially in a Canadian market.  He cited that as a failing of the organization.  

Francesco Aqualini never mentioned this, but this was the biggest failing of the Benning tenure.  He needed a PoHO really badly but never got one.  Trevor Linden was a rookie too and was an ill-advised hire himself.  

Anyways I plan on catching a few games again this year while the Canucks are regaining form.  

36 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You are pretty excited for the Habs, I can feel it haha 

I used to be a fan, hence my username...  but after about 10 years of living in Vancouver, I slowly migrated over.  The last time that I could call myself a fan of both teams was probably 2014, when the Rangers injured Carey Price.  I could've sworn that it was going to be the year that the Canadian teams were going to break out of their slump.  

This is shaping up to be a fun season for the Habs as there's not many expectations, so everything will be considered a victory as long as they're playing the young guys.  

One note:  Marc Bergevin and Jim Benning have something in common.  They were both one of the only GMs left that were serving in an organization that didn't have a President of Hockey Operations.  Geoff Molson admitted that it was a big mistake, especially in a Canadian market.  He cited that as a failing of the organization.  

Francesco Aqualini never mentioned this, but this was the biggest failing of the Benning tenure.  He needed a PoHO really badly but never got one.  Trevor Linden was a rookie too and was an ill-advised hire himself.  

Anyways I plan on catching a few games again this year while the Canucks are regaining form.  

I have zero expectations of the team this year but it’s great to see MSL utilizing their talented rookies. This team will struggle but they have a bright future.  And so far they’ve been a lot of fun to watch. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

I have zero expectations of the team this year but it’s great to see MSL utilizing their talented rookies. This team will struggle but they have a bright future.  And so far they’ve been a lot of fun to watch. 

Would you recommend Marc Bergevin to someone like Arizona?  

I sure would. I often think that Montreal and Vancouver can be too reactionary at their own peril.  We will see how Kent Hughes handles this team, but the youth movement was pretty much all acquired under Marc except for Kirby Dach (am I forgetting anyone?).

16 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Would you recommend Marc Bergevin to someone like Arizona?  

I sure would. I often think that Montreal and Vancouver can be too reactionary at their own peril.  We will see how Kent Hughes handles this team, but the youth movement was pretty much all acquired under Marc except for Kirby Dach (am I forgetting anyone?).

Bergevin did really well in most of his trades.  The Sergechev/Drouin trade was a political one.  I think he gets way too much hate. That said it was certainly time for him to go. He never would have brought in a guy like MSL. He was far too invested in a defensive game and that showed with his coaching hires 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Xhakaj with a goal and an assist through 2 periods tonight. 

Love this kid, on the topic of the thread, you gotta beat more than Kassian to be the heavyweight. Kassian is mediocre as a fighter especially now. Kids got game though. 

47 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Love this kid, on the topic of the thread, you gotta beat more than Kassian to be the heavyweight. Kassian is mediocre as a fighter especially now. Kids got game though. 

Yeah. One fight doesn’t cement a reputation. But you gotta love what the kid is bringing to the team 

• Cheers 1

On 10/20/2022 at 5:19 PM, qwijibo said:

He wasn’t even drafted. Just signed as an undrafted free agent. Kid is fast becoming a fan favourite. His nickname is wifi (because his name looks like a secure internet password) 

That is so much funnier than it should be ahahah :lol:

On 10/20/2022 at 10:41 PM, GB5 said:

It's called immaturity and a lack of class.

Who cares.  What has class won anyone in hockey?   It’s a competition. 
How many cups did the Sedin’s win? 
How about Kane and Keith?  

Also, hockey players are so damn boring.  
It’s nice to see someone with a bit of emotion behind him 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/20/2022 at 5:04 PM, Provost said:

Why couldn’t we draft a few guys like this that can actually play and scare people.

Instead we get a series of guys from Hordichuk to Gudbranson who talked a good game but really didn’t want to play that role.

He manhandled Kassian with ease… just a rookie, wait until he gets his grown man strength.

Why can't we sign guys like that who can intimidate AND play hockey really well? 

Think it's something along the lines of the whole league after guys like that... 

And Ripper would say otherwise, he played ok and began to scare bigger players than him after knocking a few down but I miss the days of when Brash and Tryamkin were here, I'm not sure what was my favorite, Brash laying a beating on Marty or Tryamkin throwing around the Dallas Stars like they were man-sized Ragdolls.. 

Although he's not scary, Joshua went toe to toe with Ryan Reeves and looked ok doing it and yes it's on YouTube if you want to see it.

Anyway, we've had a few decent playing tougher guys but I think my fave is Tryamkin, that man was BIG and nasty when angered. 

• Cheers 1

Is it just me that feels bad for the kid, we have reams of history (especially the Canucks) of what happens to kids pushed down the fighting route. I have no trust in the nhl or any of the clubs that his welfare will be put before their need for enforcement. 

Everything’s kinda full circle.

this kinda reminds me of when Kassian bloodied Ben Eager after years of Eager cheapshotting the Canucks. Saw Ben leaking and celebrated and pumped up the crowd after the fight.

Not sure if it was last year or before that, but Kassian ran over the MTL goalie and the Habs fan base was disgusted with their lack of push back… I think their only response ended with Kassian hitting his own head on a MTL players helmet during a fight; so understandable seeing Xhekaj celebrate the way he did, I’m sure he’s aware of the history