The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Oct. 20, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I think this is often lost on people......while the Sedins were quiet leaders, they did lead with their fitness.  This team doesn't look fit and hasn't done so for many years to me.  I don't mean fit, I mean more fit than other teams.  Having Virt, Boes and other players that were / are supposed to be stars show up in Sept needing a season to get some fitness just shows the lack of leadership and commitment from the group.

The collapses in these games aren't surprising......it looks like they're suddenly being outworked and the slower team in the second half of games.  Is this not fitness?  You can break the streak of collapses by outworking teams and waiting for the breaks a bit......but I'm not convinced they have that capacity.  Country club hockey again?

Need to go to bed.....I'm getting apathetic again when the offseason is yet again more interesting than the regular season.

Yes and Yes. To keep elite type status (top 20) in the league is literally a full time, year round job. You work your butt off year in and year out, then when the league catches up and figures how to play against you, you work your butt off even more and change your style of game. Continually evolving yourself to keep up with the everchanging game.

Simply put- Sydney Crosby has a full time personal nutritionist.

- Erik Karlsson has a full time personal fashion stylist.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Points mean little when this team gives up so many chances.  It's not just up to the 3 guys behind the forward lines.  Bo may be getting the points but he's not looking like he's a dog on a bone in both directions.  This is all fixable, but the roster challenges in the next couple of years aren't anyway without big changes.......so perhaps this terrible start will just accelerate what really needs to be done.

Bo has actually been one of our best forwards probably second after Petey.   There are so many other players who have done way less. Bo plays pp1, pk1, takes face offs  and still scoring at an extremely incredible pace since last season. The team sunk as soon as he got hurt. Bo isn't on the ice for most goals against yet he gets the blame??? 

Absolutely absurd to blame him, he's doing his job.

Why don't you just blame Poolman for tonight's loss too.

The team stinks but it is not Bo

Edited by DS4quality
  • Upvote 1

Problem is that the Canucks look so close, they could have easily won all of these games, but when you break it down the reason we've lost them are special teams, bad goaltending and sloppy defence from the forwards (especially Miller).

I honestly think if we didn't have Miller to start this year, we're probably 3-1-1.

We've done lots of good things, even tonight our 4th line is out there dominating the play, but then again Miller gets scored on in OT and Demko literally has his back facing the shooter. Arguably our 2 best players last year - Miller and Demko - are now our worst and that's why we're here, but to me it looks like everyone else is playing fairly well.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think we have the pieces either.  I think trades need to start happening now.  And unfortunately, Boudreau needs to go as well.  I'd go hard after Barry Trotz.

What make you think Trotz would walk into this mess.

If Bruce goes, Yeo is our interim head coach. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Well Miller deciding to take a Sabbatical year off, after signing his new 7 year contract, could very well be the death of Horvat in Vancouver.

You have to wonder, if PA has the stomach for handing out another 7-8 year deal, after seeing how Miller is pulling a, 'he who's name shall not be mentioned' vanishing act.

Something is not right with this team... 

Think there is some illness, and/or injury issues, we don't know about...

On the other hand, all the folks wanting to blow it up and tank, are getting front row tickets to, what its gonna look like.... no pretty at all.

18 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

What make you think Trotz would walk into this mess.

If Bruce goes, Yeo is our interim head coach. 

Sweet Jesus no...

Every team he's touched turns to crap, I don't know if he's ever been on a winning team. He's like Willie or Green but has somehow stuck around in the league...

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is the worst position to be at. If the trend continues, we are not good enough to make the playoffs and we are not bad enough to get the first overall pick.

Unfortunately the same as the last 10 years...

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well Miller deciding to take a Sabbatical year off, after signing his new 7 year contract, could very well be the death of Horvat in Vancouver.

You have to wonder, if PA has the stomach for handing out another 7-8 year deal, after seeing how Miller is pulling a, 'he who's name shall not be mentioned' vanishing act.

Something is not right with this team... 

Think there is some illness, and/or injury issues, we don't know about...

On the other hand, all the folks wanting to blow it up and tank, are getting front row tickets to, what its gonna look like.... no pretty at all.

I worry this is true, we should be building around Horvat and Petey, not Petey and Miller, and Allvin may consider a big trade, and if that's the case Bo might be easier to move. They're quite conservative to be fair so we might just see a 6x6yr deal.

I don't think Bo's play will regress as badly as Miller, he's never shown signs of being as sloppy as Miller. Invisible sometimes, but never this bad defensively.

• Cheers 3

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

I worry this is true, we should be building around Horvat and Petey, not Petey and Miller, and Allvin may consider a big trade, and if that's the case Bo might be easier to move. They're quite conservative to be fair so we might just see a 6x6yr deal.

I don't think Bo's play will regress as badly as Miller, he's never shown signs of being as sloppy as Miller. Invisible sometimes, but never this bad defensively.

Cheers, and agree 100%...

But I will totally understand if PA moves Bo... Changes will be made if this doesn't change rapidly during the home stand. 

17 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Problem is that the Canucks look so close, they could have easily won all of these games, but when you break it down the reason we've lost them are special teams, bad goaltending and sloppy defence from the forwards (especially Miller).

I honestly think if we didn't have Miller to start this year, we're probably 3-1-1.

We've done lots of good things, even tonight our 4th line is out there dominating the play, but then again Miller gets scored on in OT and Demko literally has his back facing the shooter. Arguably our 2 best players last year - Miller and Demko - are now our worst and that's why we're here, but to me it looks like everyone else is playing fairly well.

What do you mean "Miller gets scored on in OT"?  Does Miller play goalie too?  Myers is the one who took the dumb penalty and then it was a 4 on 3, basically Minnesota had a power play with Boeser on the ice who never kills penalties, so basically a 4 on 2 at that point, and then Myers literally dives on Demko and Demko tries to make a save while turning around in the opposite direction.  Miller wasn't even involved in the goal.  The entire OT fiasco was caused by Myers stupidity, the penalty and diving on top of Demko.

Also, it was Petey's line that was on the ice for the tying goal in Columbus where Martin completely overshot the play and Gaudreau had a wide-open net to score.  Miller wasn't even on the ice.  Also, wasn't Horvat on the ice in the OT against Columbus and blew the coverage for the 2 on 1 and the winning goal?  Again, Miller wasn't even on the ice.

It's funny how the Canucks blow 4 two goal leads in a row and the one guy who is responsible for all 4 losses is Miller.  Yeah sure, we'd easily be 3-1-1 if Miller doesn't play in any of the games.   :lol: 

This is getting too funny at this point...

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

This team needs a 3rd coach just to get into a wildcard spot...

Horvat hate is stupid.

Boeser is too slow and a poor skater. That is why against skilled and fast teams he is non existent. Love Boeser, have his jersey, but he should have worked on his skating, could have been a game changer. 

Your concern for Boeser is certainly warranted but keep in mind that he is simply a  "One Trick Pony" and can only do one thing well and is; take a "One-Timer" on the PP from 17.35' feet out to the right side of the goaltender at an 8 Deg angle and possibly score.    THAT'S ALL. No more-No less.  Any illusions that he can pass, back-check, make creative plays, defend, forecheck, skate fast or be motivated are simply not in his books.   He's just a "One-Timer" type of guy and why JR and PA re-signed him because that is all they expect from him.   

10 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Just dropped in and haven't read anything in this thread. So, has anybody pointed out that Demko hasn't been Demko? I mean, he's made some good saves, but he hasn't made the BIG save, the one that steals a game. 

Cause the team seems to fall apart in the second and by the third watches the other team play.

13 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Me resign Bo,put back Miller and EP.Bo on the second.Aman centers the third and Lazar centers the fourth.We  might just win a game.

I'd try this for next game:

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Garland - Horvat - Boeser

Mikheyev - Miller - Pearson

Joshua - Lazar - Aman

We could try and save Miller and put Petey alongside him but he hasn't showed us he deserves that. Bump his minutes down until he sorts his defence out and lean hard on the top-2 lines.

30 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Just dropped in and haven't read anything in this thread. So, has anybody pointed out that Demko hasn't been Demko? I mean, he's made some good saves, but he hasn't made the BIG save, the one that steals a game. 

I've been saying this the last few games, we're all here blaming Miller and Myers and Bo but Demko has been dreadful. Not average, he's let in some bad goals as well. He was superb last season - if that form came to play this year we'd probably have 3 wins. Not only has he not bailed us out at all this season, he's not making key saves at key times in the 3rd period and letting a few stinkers in as well.

Demko gets a lot of free-passes considering how thin this defence looks but in reality, the defence hasn't coughed up big, bad chances much this season, Demko is just getting beaten on regular hockey plays and shots. It's not like he's had to stop a tonne of breakaways.

I think the big fault is the PK, those goals against are a bit harder for him and make his stats much worse, but even 5-on-5 he's been bad in third periods and no one talks about it. At the end of last season he started to regress but I just assumed that was because we rode him too hard down the stretch, but he's started the season much worse than he ended and that's a concern...

Still believe they can turn this around. 

All 5 games so far, they palyed well enough for most of it that they could have gotten pts in all 5 games if they were better in special teams.  Must turn it around this month or the hole will be like last yr. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Me resign Bo,put back Miller and EP.Bo on the second.Aman centers the third and Lazar centers the fourth.We  might just win a game.

I've been thinking the same thing.

We need to win a F/O or two, and in the end Bruce will have to bite the bullet and play Miller with Petey again. 

Petey has been on fire and it may just get Miller going again. 

I like the Petey, Kuz, Podz line, but putting Miller with Bo is putting our two best F/O guys on the same line...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1