The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Oct. 20, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nor was management from their comments. Which makes some of their moves this summer all the more puzzling.

There was a clear (if hard) path this summer. Now they likely have an even harder journey ahead, after backing themselves in to a bit of a corner.

I think it is more there was no value in trades as GMs see a new guy and a team that really needs some changes and tried to capitalize. 
As much as I think trading Miller was right move he signed a team friendly deal (at least for the JTM of the last couple years) so if offers weren’t good I guess it was good thing to do and the contract is moveable this year. 
‘I think if the ultimate choice was Bo or JT they made the wrong choice as this team won’t be contending for several years if this core even can. 
‘I have been big defender of Bo but kind of think that would be listening to offers but really moving Brock would be priority number one for me.  That first wave of Benning youth has peaked on this team and have lost so much over the years they may just need to move on and build around EP, Demko, Hughes and most importantly Podz. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

A 1RD has to be found. He doesn’t have to be that right now but has to have serious potential. 

I wonder if veteran RD could be acquired from the KHL?

I imagine it might be a pretty tricky exercise given the invasion of Ukraine.

If such a player could be acquired, he may come in as a second-pairing RD with pro experience, even maybe playoffs.

And we wouldn't have to give up our NHL and farm assets or picks.

Regarding the fact that Rutherford (and his apprentice) chose to prioritize Miller over Horvat….

spacer.png

I post this partially for comedic purposes, and it is quite possible, even likely, that JT’s game returns to resemble that of last year. But my god, there is a real unnerving feeling right now that we are tied to Miller for seven more years. SEVEN YEARS (after this one).

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i've been watching and rooting for this team since 1970, no way am i'm going to let a slow start turn me away from the canucks. not going to happen.

I bleed Canucks colours.

I will still watch every game, but I have no attachment to these guys anymore. 

This is still a jim Benning built team, why didn't management blow it up??

Aquilini has ruined this franchise.

They need to do a full rebuild.

Complete fire sale, like the leafs did in the Austin Matthew's draft year 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

imo, hughes is a top pairing d, oel is a second pairing d and the rest are bottom pairing or depth defensemen. where would any of them fit on a good team?

In the "post your unpopular opinion" thread, I said mine was to move Hughes.  I still think that should be on the table.

30 minutes ago, JM_ said:

how many 1sts were you OK with them burning tho? because that was the necessary special sauce to really make some big moves on the d group. 

Why would they burn 1sys moving Boeser and Miller?  That's really all they had to do

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 things neee to happen.

1)  stop playing hughes like a #1 dman, because he isnt one.  Cut his ice time down a bit and let OEL take on a few more mins.

2)  get rid of boeser as he drags down every line he plays on.

3) find a legit top 2 or 3 dman via trade to help our top 4.  There needs to be defense by committee because theres no #1 in sight.

4)  dont play miller like hes a #1 centre, because he isnt one.  Possibly look to move him back to wing.  

5) find a josh anderson type for our top 6.  A fierce two way gritty player with size and speed.  The forward group is way too soft and small.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would they burn 1sys moving Boeser and Miller?  That's really all they had to do

if we could have got a RHD for Boeser it would have happened. 

We also know how the Miller stuff went, it wasn't on the table there either at least publicly. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

5 things neee to happen.

1)  stop playing hughes like a #1 dman, because he isnt one.  Cut his ice time down a bit and let OEL take on a few more mins.

2)  get rid of boeser as he drags down every line he plays on.

3) find a legit top 2 or 3 dman via trade to help our top 4.  There needs to be defense by committee because theres no #1 in sight.

4)  dont play miller like hes a #1 centre, because he isnt one.  Possibly look to move him back to wing.  

5) find a josh anderson type for our top 6.  A fierce two way gritty player with size and speed.  The forward group is way too soft and small.  

1) Get Hughes a better RD, before writing him off

2) Can't trade someone with slight to no value

3) Every team is looking for a top three D

4) Commiting 8M to a winger, we're back to step 1, short on defenders and centers

5) Every team is looking for a fast skating power forward with

Hands

Everything mentioned is easier said then done, time for a rebuild

16 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Vancouver has turned in to a transient town. Hong Kong west.

The parade should go on the skytrain to king George Station and down fraser hwy to where the real fans now live lol

Garbage,

Should be the Sunrun route.

Ends at Rogers where the team's home barn is. 

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if we could have got a RHD for Boeser it would have happened. 

We also know how the Miller stuff went, it wasn't on the table there either at least publicly. 

I don't think so.  I think last year's turn around clouded their vision of where the real core of this team is.